Trouble recording direct with RP 1000

• Thread starter BaylorPRSer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
M-Audio ProFire 610 Firewire Recording Interface: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

That would be my suggestion as I've used this multiple times and actually own a 2626. I've always had a better experience with Firewire vs. USB but it all comes down to what you need. If you need a package deal like that, go for it as it will suit your needs. If you're just looking for an interface go with the 610 if you can afford it. It's one of the best interfaces I've personally used for the price.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
M-Audio ProFire 610 Firewire Recording Interface: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

That would be my suggestion as I've used this multiple times and actually own a 2626. I've always had a better experience with Firewire vs. USB but it all comes down to what you need. If you need a package deal like that, go for it as it will suit your needs. If you're just looking for an interface go with the 610 if you can afford it. It's one of the best interfaces I've personally used for the price.

I just realized my computer doesn't have a firewire port. Is there any way around this? Or am I condemned to USB?

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you aren't afraid to do a litte work on your computer you could install this: StarTech PEX1394A2 PCIe 1394a FireWire Card - 2 Port at TigerDirect.com as long as there is an open PCI slot and your motherboard is compatible. But, for the present you are stuck with USB. That's not a bad thing for just recording some guitar stuff though

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | Sweetwater.com

That is my USB recommendation cause Focusrite is very bang for your buck and they make kickass stuff. Their pres sound good considering the price which is a big plus :yesway:

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
It won't negatively affect your sound, the only thing that sets firewire apart from USB is stability. I wouldn't be able to record 8 or more inputs at once without having a disk error thanks to USB, that's why I went with firewire because it offers stability when recording a bunch of tracks at once. USB is fine for one or two tracks and it will sound just as good as a firewire device would in the same price range.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It won't negatively affect your sound, the only thing that sets firewire apart from USB is stability. I wouldn't be able to record 8 or more inputs at once without having a disk error thanks to USB, that's why I went with firewire because it offers stability when recording a bunch of tracks at once. USB is fine for one or two tracks and it will sound just as good as a firewire device would in the same price range.

Dude thanks for explaining that. I never understood why people preferred firewire until now.

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
No problem man, they only differ in the way they transfer data. Firewire streams the data constantly, USB transfers in bursts which is fine if you're just moving data around but for recording that is a HUGE hinderance. Using USB will usually get "disk too slow errors" if recording more than two inputs at a time, but for personal use for recording one or two things at a time no problem. The only downside is I don't know of any USB interface off the top of my head that works with Pro Tools. That DAW does not like USB interfaces. But, not everybody likes Pro Tools so it all works out :lol:

lurgar

Reaction score
From a technical standpoint, firewire is superior. USB 2.0 is capable of hitting 425mbps in total speed, but sustained is really around 100mbps. Firewire hits a constant 400mbps and keeps it there. The thing about firewire is that it's really called a 1394 connection and "firewire" is really branding by Apple.

From a practical standpoint, you will likely not hit any major hurdles relying on USB but going to a firewire interface will give you the ability to do more throughput (voices with guitars and such) with the device should you choose to do so.

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
the tones are in there - blaming the gear is getting you nowhere... I know that sounds like I'm being an ass, but I'm just being truthful.

that whole 'give a man a fish/teach a man to fish' thing still applies.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
the tones are in there - blaming the gear is getting you nowhere... I know that sounds like I'm being an ass, but I'm just being truthful.

that whole 'give a man a fish/teach a man to fish' thing still applies.

Well aware, thank you. That's why I'm here. To learn how to better use it. I've gotten some decent djent sounds out of it, but I knew that the recording tone was lacking so I came here to figure out how to improve.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
So I got the Focusrite interface that was suggested and I'm using ableton and it's picking up the signal, but I can't get any output. Can I get some help with that? I'm running guitar to RP1000 XLR connecting to focusrite usb to computer with balanced TRS cables going from the interface to 2 monitors.

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't done so already, make sure the focusrite is selected for output in your computer's control panel/system preferences. Are you running OSX or Windows?

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
windows. it's connected, the monitors will play audio, just not from my instrument when i'm trying to record with ableton. videos and music will play through them just fine.

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
It may be something with abelton, I'm not too experienced with ableton but I'm assuming that there may be some sort of routing issue. Hopefully someone more experienced with ableton will chime in!

')