Troubles with lower end...

• Thread starter Distortion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've had my dual rectifier for about two years now, love it to death! I pair it up with a MetalZone as a boost (which, believe it or not, actually sounds good).

The main problem i've had with this amp ever since I got it and the main reason for changing pickups in both my 7stringers is that the 7th string seems lacking... Lacking as it feels like there is less "gain" on that string.

I don't know why but compared the the 6th or 5th string, when I strike the 7th string, it just feels as if I dialed back the gain knob on the amp a bit. At first I though it was the guitars which are a Dean Razorback 7 (equiped with Blackouts) and my Ibanez RG7620 which now has an X2N7 in the bridge.

I don't seem to have this problem or it isn't as obvious through solid state equipment like my Line6 GuitarPort so i'm just wondering what the problem might be? I've tried all sorts of pickup heights, i've tried all sorts of configuration on the amp, going from bold to spongy and from vacuum rectifier to solid state, tried lowering the bass, boosting the mids, etc...

The amp sounds hella good on 6 strings but the 7th always kinda sucked and after two years, I still can't figure it out... Anyone has any ideas? The amp is going to a Vader 2x12 cab.

Any help is appreciated.. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a few things, could be you just need to pick it harder, could be a dead string, string could be maybe too thick (which means you would probably have to pick it harder) or maybe pickup height on the bass side of the neck.

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
Maybe I should pick harder, i've got a very light touch and that's why I can keep my action really low...

I use small strings (I think?), Earnie Ball going from 0.09 to 0.52...

For the pickup height, I tried all different heights I could on the RG7620 going from the furthest back to the closest. As I got closer, the signal didn't seem hotter, just less defined and "wobbly" ... On the Dean, being active pickups, I've put them as close as possible to the strings without having the strings touch the pickups.

Hmm.... Maybe since I set up my guitar with very low action, I have a tendency to pick lighter on the bass side to avoid buzz without even noticing ? I think you might be on to something JJ, I'll check stuff out tonight and post back.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that one of the most important aspects to tight metal playing is your picking hand. On really dynamic amps, you can actually go from slight distortion to balls to the wall metal just by changing how you pick. Using thicker picks helps too, maybe not all the way up to 3mm or anything (which I used to use :lol:) but something that isn't a .5mm pick. You have really light strings, so you don't need to over do it, but just try it and see how it goes.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
If anything, thicker strings would give him less perceived gain because he would have to pick harder to get the string moving. Thicker strings are great sounding and I love lots of tension, but I don't think that would solve what's going on with him right now. If the string was too thin he's probably be getting lots of buzz and flabby notes, but plenty of gain.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but my solution was actually switching to thinner strings on my 7stringer.

Just a tip.. Have you tried to boost your amp with a overdrive instead of the Metal zone?
All you need is a cheap Boss SD-1. It'll make the sound tighter and smoother without changing too much of the characteristic sound of your Mesa.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Eh, I don't think the Metal Zone is the problem (referencing Cannibal Corpse as an example of Metal Zones being used to boost Rectos).

#1 thing I found with my Recto was that, unlike a lot of hi-gain amps, it responds better to pickups / guitars with more of a low-mid / mid emphasis (Duncan Invader, BKP Warpig, etc) than pickups with mid-high / high emphasis (X2N, Evolution, most EMGs). My old Carvin DC727 w/ EMG707s would sing and sustain forever in the low end through the 5150, Triple-X, Framus Dragon, etc I had, but sounded like it had a dead battery, or the gain turned to 1 or 2 when I played it through a Dual Rec.

Then I tried playing my Dual Rec with my KxK, which had an Invader in the bridge, and not only did it suddenly send the Recto's gain / tightness in the low end through the roof, it did so while no longer even needing the boost.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but he has an X2N-7 in the bridge of one guitar, and Blackouts in the other. Even if he didn't like the tone, he should have shit tons of gain, on ANY string :lol:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I would probably say hit the string a bit hard if you have a light touch too. If all your gear is fine, then give it a go. I found that sometimes my pick stays over an inch away before 'snapping' at the string.

Also try a different boost pedal. Even if you don't think it is the problem, give it a go because you never know what the results could be (because the metal zone might be scooping those mids dry :lol:)

I have no such issue. Then again, I play with elixir strings. Ernies suck balls.

I found I didn't like Elixirs. Within a few days they became really fuzzy because that coating on them began to come off. They're probably great if you don't play your guitar often but I do.

So hence why I stuck to Ernie Ball super slinky's. I don't think they suck balls :lol:

slayerrulesyo

Reaction score
Pick hard. If I let anybody who picks light on my amp, they say turn the gain and bass up. The Recto can sound like shit if you pick too light. I set my gain at 12 too and it has plenty of gain! xD

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
I'll try changing brands of strings... I'm always switching between Ernie Ball and D'Ddarios so we'll see...

Might also try to sell the X2N7, I have a Duncan Invader in my 6 and I love that pickup, does the 7string version sound as good ?

EDIT: And work on my picking technique... damn, 6yrs down the line and I have to rework picking :(

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Yeah, i've tried the guitars through solid state amps and my Line6 GuitarPort and IK Multimedia Amplitude Metal and they sound fine in those...

Just don't know what's up with the Mesa but what JJ mentionned, the Dual Recto is very dynamic and with the settings I use, if I strum very lightly on the strings, I get a nice crunchy distortion but if I slam the strings you notice a lot more gain coming from the amp without touching a single knob...

It's something I love about the Mesa but the 7th string on my guitars just feels like it lacks just a tad bit of gain compared to the other strings. I didn't have time to check last night so i'll give it a go tonight...

I had changed the pickup in my RG7620 from stock to an X2N7 for this same reason and now I realize it didn't fix the problem so i'm a bit disappointed with that but I guess I could always sell it. I'm more of a Seymour Duncan guy anyway but SDs don't directly fit in the RG7620 because of the triangle routes for the tabs...

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Just file the tabs down. You'll probably have to shim the neck as well to get a bit of extra height for the pickup, but most people recommend a shim on Ibbies anyways.

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed my Ibanez Destroyer's neck is a bit angled back, it helps to have a nice and even action across the neck. What should I use to shim the neck? just jam a piece of cardboard packaging in there?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Could be a few things, could be you just need to pick it harder, could be a dead string, string could be maybe too thick (which means you would probably have to pick it harder) or maybe pickup height on the bass side of the neck.

JJ is on point. :agreed:

Also, check A Tribe Called Quest. I hear they know all about The Low End Theory... :yesway:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed my Ibanez Destroyer's neck is a bit angled back, it helps to have a nice and even action across the neck. What should I use to shim the neck? just jam a piece of cardboard packaging in there?

Some people use business cards folded up, others recommend metal, personally I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I would recommend not using cardboard because it would probably compress over time and then the neck would become loose in the pocket. Just fold up a centimeter or 2 wide strip of your preferred material, put it in the pocket (on the neck pickup side) and reattach your neck. Don't make the shim too thick either, a little bit goes a long way, and if you shim it too drastically, you can put stress on the heel side of the pocket at an angle and cause finish stress cracks.

Latest posts

')