Troubles with lower end...

• Thread starter Distortion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
With all that detail I have to suspect that it's how you're mic'ing the setup. Seriously... take a look at this aspect. :agreed:

Yeah, but he has an X2N-7 in the bridge of one guitar, and Blackouts in the other. Even if he didn't like the tone, he should have shit tons of gain, on ANY string :lol:

This is why I think I think its a capture issue... I've been overpicking for a while now, the X2N should sound gainy and bassy as fuck to him, and the Blackout should be tight but a but fizzy... my rhythm player just switched from one to the other a little while back.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
He's not talking about recording though, he's talking about just general use :scratch:

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Thanks JJ for the tips, i've looked up Ibanezrules's website for quite some time and it's pretty much where I learned how to set up my guitars :)

Never thought of going back for the neck shimming process: will do!
Thanks again for all your help guys! It's greatly appreciated :)

Forced Chaos

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but my solution was actually switching to thinner strings on my 7stringer.

Just a tip.. Have you tried to boost your amp with a overdrive instead of the Metal zone?
All you need is a cheap Boss SD-1. It'll make the sound tighter and smoother without changing too much of the characteristic sound of your Mesa.

This or preferably a Maxon 808 or 9-series. That rig should slay!!! Fucking recto's sound unreal boosted.

slayerrulesyo

Reaction score
This or preferably a Maxon 808 or 9-series. That rig should slay!!! Fucking recto's sound unreal boosted.

Exactly. I run a Maxon 808 into a Triple Rec and with passives or actives it has the low end and balls you expect from a Recto..both are 7 string ibanez's by the way (like the OP)

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
Ok, so i've had a second to try a few things...

JJ, you were right, I was wimping out the picking on the 7th string to avoid having it rattle against the frets... lifted the action a bit until I could slam the string pretty hard without having to worry about fret buzz...

Also, the theory of the Dual Recto preferring bass heavy or low-mid heavy pickups sounds realistic. I actually use the MetalZone as some type of EQ at the same time as I use it as a boost. Level is max, but dist is out...

I usually cut the highs as it makes the amp sound too buzzy and usually keep the bass at noon (untouched for this pedal)... I set the mid EQ to low-mid and boosted it a bit and BAM.... Ultra brutal responsiveness that makes me wish I wasn't testing all this at 9pm so I could of set the amp louder and played it for an extended period of time...

That's a lot for all your input, a mix of everything pretty much fixed my prob! :D Thanks guys

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
glad to hear it's sorted!

')