Troubles with seven string and amplifier

• Thread starter TheDeltaOrionis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeltaOrionis

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to ask you something.
Do I need specific amplifiers for seven string guitars?
Because last week I tested my brand new 7 string guitar (Schecter Hellraiser C7) tuned in Drop A at the rehearsal room with my band and the amplifiers wasn't reacting well. The sound came out so blurry that we couldn't clearly hear the notes while playing.
At home I don't have these kind of problems, probably because I don't use a real amp but an audio interface (Line 6 Toneport GX) with Cubase and Guitar Rig 4 (an amp simulator).
For distortion I use the Boss Metalcore ML2 and I never had troubles with it, so the distortion pedal is not the problem.
We don't own the amps in rehearsal room so I don't know which model they are, but one of them is a "Hughes and Kettner" and the other a "Fender".

Anyone has some suggestions or had the same issues?
Please I need help!

Thanks ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Actually, if you ask me, I'd say the problem is your distortion pedal. Try running through the Hughes & Kettner with the gain turned up, but not using the distortion pedal, and tweak the EQ, and I assume you'll have better results. The BOSS Metalcore is not really a great pedal, and the low end muddiness is probably a result of that, and not tweaking the EQ to accommodate the low A.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
The Hughes & Kettner is a tube amp, right?
Personally, I would just play straight into the amp, and turn up the gain until I have a reasonable amount of distortion (that's what I do with my amp), but at the same time, the distortion pedal issue isn't an issue with the 7th string, it's an issue with digital vs. analog. I would suggest getting an analog overdrive pedal, such as an Ibanez TS808, and using it as a boost, rather than relying on it completely for distortion.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
try using the other amp with your setup. perhaps the amp you were using had bad tubes that need to be replaced? (assuming their tube amps)

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i have to agree its probably the distortion pedal causing your problem. As a general rule, distortion pedals, especially boss "metal" pedals sound like total tinny ass compared to using the gain on a good quality tube head. Plus, being in the tuning that you are, you cant scoop your EQ (which you really shouldnt do anyway) because youll easily get lost in the mix and your playing will be totally indistinguishable.

With 7-strings or any drop-tuned guitar stuff, you need to put more mids in your tone, and add more clarity to the tone you shape. Also, like the above poster mentioned, try using a tubescreamer-style pedal like a ts808 or a Maxon OD808 in the front end as a boost to tighten up the low end. It does wonders trust me.

Darren James

Reaction score
i have to agree its probably the distortion pedal causing your problem. As a general rule, distortion pedals, especially boss "metal" pedals sound like total tinny ass compared to using the gain on a good quality tube head. Plus, being in the tuning that you are, you cant scoop your EQ (which you really shouldnt do anyway) because youll easily get lost in the mix and your playing will be totally indistinguishable.

With 7-strings or any drop-tuned guitar stuff, you need to put more mids in your tone, and add more clarity to the tone you shape. Also, like the above poster mentioned, try using a tubescreamer-style pedal like a ts808 or a Maxon OD808 in the front end as a boost to tighten up the low end. It does wonders trust me.

Couldn't agree more with trying a tubescreamer/od 808 in the front end. It truly does make a world of difference and helps shape my sound quiet nice.

TheDeltaOrionis

Reaction score
Loved your fast answers ;)
Anyway, so do you recommend to use the distortion provided by the amp and boosting it a little bit with these analog distortion pedals?
And If have to switch to a clean sound in the middle of a song?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Most amps will have a footswitch to change channels in the middle of a song. Depending on the H&K amp, you definitely won't need the Boss Metalcore :lol:

I had a Metal Core for my old 6 string, and even with that it sounded pretty bad. When I tried the 7 through it with the higher output pickups and slightly lower, it was just awful. No "fullness" to the tone at all :noway:

As for boosting it, you shouldn't be boosint with a "distortion" pedal, but rather a Tubescreamer/Overdrive pedal, with the gain set to 0, level maxed (IIRC) and tone to taste. That's if you need it, of course. Depending on what your amp is, it should have more than enough distortion to handle your guitar just fine without one, an OD pedal will just "tighten" it a bit.

Hope it helped :yesway:

TheDeltaOrionis

Reaction score
Thank you guys, I'll definitely try without my Boss ML2.
The Maxon OD808 is the same used by "Whitechapel", which is a Dropped A Metal band that I love SO much. They also use the OD9
I'd really like to obtain a cool tone from my seven string like them.
So, last question: there are any issues with the Maxon OD808 or the OD9?
They are good overdrive pedals for "boosting"? And which one do you think is better?
Sorry for my questions, but I really need some help... I'm a beginner/intermediate player but, when talking about pedals and tone, I'm really a NOOB :p

Mop

Reaction score
You really need to find out what models those amps are before going out and buying an overdrive to boost with.
Boosting a solidstate fender or H&K isn't going to help you... Take some pictures or something at your next practice and someone will be able to identify what they are and maybe even suggest some settings to try

Mop

Reaction score
About the overdrive pedals: they are both good pedals, you won't notice too much difference when using them for boosting an amp.
I wouldn't go out and buy one just yet, boosting may not be the way to go with your setup

K-Roll

Reaction score
the problem is definitely in the distortion pedal being used with that specific setup..
anyway.. also make sure your guitar cable is properly plugged inside your guitar.. I had a hellraisser 7 and the jack was so tight and hard to get plugged in, that maybe first 2 times I did not have my cable 'really' in if you know what i mean.. i was like- what the fuck is wrong with my sound.. then i figured out i have to push it really hard and it was all fine (i know lame but true:) )
anyway, guys are all right about the mids. e.g I run my 5150 with a TS808 so that I have my bass somewhere on 4, mids on 7 maybe.. and trebles like 5 (yes just the opposite from metallica :D:D ) and I cant be any happier.. if you got two guitars in your band playing together, you need more mids each of you to cut properly through..
first thing- get rid of the distortion pedal
second thing- get an OD808, OD9 or TS808 (i got mine from a friend who builds these and its probably the best piece of equipment that i love most heh)
third- set the amp properly

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Your 7 will issue some frequencies that are different from a 6er. This mostly means, you will have to redial your amp, all that extra low end you wanted on your low E now becomes a booming nightmare with a B (or lower). Learn to tighten up your sound, tame the low end, and for God's sake get rid of that awful pedal it's one of the worst I've ever heard anyway. Metalcore sound is heavily based on the bass guitar, don't forget that.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
the maxon od808 seems to be the top choice for a boost pedal. Maxon is actually the original company that produced the tubescreamer for Ibanez way back in the day, so they are the "original" tubescreamer if you will.

The nice thing about the maxon is its a very transparent sounding effect, so it doesnt alter the tone you already have dialed in. It just adds more "oomph" to it.

And like the previous poster also said, on that pedal, turn the overdrive down to zero, the level ALL THE WAY UP, and set the tone control to your liking.

TheDeltaOrionis

Reaction score
You guys are awesome ;)
Yesterday I played with my band WITHOUT that fuckin' Boss Metalcore ML2, and I also messed up a little bit with the tone knobs of the amp using the "lead" channel, the result: best tone I've ever had lol :p
I also found which sound fits me the best: like bass 5, high 6, mid 8.
Without using any pedal! I was using my six string, but I guess it will work also on my seven.

Anyway, the gain is really good but I feel the need of a "push" that it could come from a booster like the Maxon OD808. So I think I'll buy it, but first I need to ask you something about it. For this, I'll open a new thread though.

Thank you guys :)

Deathmetal94564

Reaction score
I can't imagine fender sounding good in drop A, nor distortion pedals. I vote the pedals as to why you're having that issue. I personally hate distortion pedals, but that's me. try an amp that has good distortion so you won't need one??

Deathmetal94564

Reaction score
You guys are awesome ;)
Yesterday I played with my band WITHOUT that fuckin' Boss Metalcore ML2, and I also messed up a little bit with the tone knobs of the amp using the "lead" channel, the result: best tone I've ever had lol :p
I also found which sound fits me the best: like bass 5, high 6, mid 8.
Without using any pedal! I was using my six string, but I guess it will work also on my seven.

Anyway, the gain is really good but I feel the need of a "push" that it could come from a booster like the Maxon OD808. So I think I'll buy it, but first I need to ask you something about it. For this, I'll open a new thread though.

Thank you guys :)
oh didn't see that post, my bad lol:lol:

')