Tru-Oil+Stain?

• Thread starter TylerRay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TylerRay

LP Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So my next build is coming down the pipe. I have some really nice wood choices this time around so I want to show them off well. I've decided on a Tru Oil finish. My only question is, I am using a flamed maple top and would like to do a color stain, do I use oil or water based stains? My instinct tells me water beings it would evaporate leaving only the color. I am aware Tru Oil has an amber tint, so that will be taken into consideration regarding stain color. So there you have it, oil or water based? Pics if you got em! Thanks Bros!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riley

Reaction score
Aniline dye with water or alcohol works great with tru oil. The amber tint of tru oil is negligible at best and shouldn't be a factor in your color choice.

Youne

Reaction score
A friend of mine did a bass with a blue stain finish and oil (not tru oil but it's the same base) You're right for the water based stain, it evaporate and leave the color. But the color don't really stay in the time 'cause the finish stau a little bit sticky.

Try epxoy finish. It's easy to use and you can do every type of finish (mat, high gloss or satin) and it keeps the color. Or use epoxy on the top and tru oil on the other parts of your guitar ! :cheers:

')