Truss Rod recommendations

• Thread starter Themadcow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Just picked up the wood to make the neck for my first build and I'm looking for truss rod recommendations. I was looking at the Hot Rods from stew-mac but I am seeing mixed reviews. Looking for recommendations.

By the way the specs for this build are:

5 piece Maple/walnut neck
zebrawood body
27" scale 8 string

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
^ LMI's double action rods are great :agreed:

The Stew Mac Hot Rods are not so great, they're tall so sit deeper in the neck limiting how thin the neck can be and the rod sometimes rattles due to a little slop in the threads. You can fix that by using a centre punch to peen the brass blocks tighter against the rod, before installation of course.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.

The body was going to be entirely zebrawood, but I am still open to suggestions. I thought that it would look really good with a natural finish. I am starting on the neck this weekend. Any tips would be appreciated as this will be my first build. Not sure if I should start a build thread yet or wait till I have something accompished first. I have some pics of the neck lumber.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Here's the boards I picked up this week so I could get started.

The ebony is almost jet black, but my iphone 4 loves to lighten everything up.

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 11
')