Truss Rods and pickup depths...

• Thread starter moikey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moikey

Reaction score
So I began my build today, after sourcing some wood for a great price. I originally wanted Utile with a black walnut cap, but I went for American ash and walnut cap. I'll throw up a new build thread soon when I have gathered a good few photos of the process :yesway:

Anyways, I am having trouble determining the correct length of truss rod for my guitar, and which depth to cut the pickup cavities. My fretboard is 20" without the nut, so I am trying to figure out the correct length of truss rod. My initial guess is a 460mm truss rod, as that will put it from the nut to about an inch before the 24th fret. This is based on a thread I read whilst looking it all up where a user stated that this is a good length. Is this correct?

Regarding pickup depth, the body is sitting at 35mm, and will be taken to 34mm likely through planing and sanding. Since my neck is lying on the floor in raw materials at the moment, I'm struggling to visualise the pickup height as of yet in relation to the neck being set. Am I best to wait until I have the neck on before I determine the depth, or is there a common or trusted method of getting a good depth before hand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
From what I understand, the truss rod doesn't necessarily need to extend all the way into the heel of the neck cause that's the thickest point and is very unlikely to ever have bowing issues there. Just around the level of the transition where the neck profile is sculpted into the heel would be fine. Take into consideration your neck bolt locations and that it doesn't interfere there (if it is a bolt on of course).

about the pickup height, that is determined by your string height off the body, or more like how high the fretboard sits off the body. Remember to leave space for foam and/or springs under the pups.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I've been told that it may not be absolutely necessary to use a truss rod that goes past where the neck meets the body, as long as you're using fairly stable/strong wood for the neck.

Another opposing viewpoint I've been told is that you can't go wrong having a truss rod that's "as long as will fit the neck".

Killemall1983

Reaction score
A standard 18" truss rod will be fine.
Are you direct mounting your pickups?
If not the standard is 3/4" deep.

moikey

Reaction score
A standard 18" truss rod will be fine.
Are you direct mounting your pickups?
If not the standard is 3/4" deep.

Yeah, direct mount. DiMarzio Ionizers too, so they are very beefy with the wires coming from the bottom of the plate with no legs.

')