Trying a new 9-string tuning

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Thx, I'm looking forward to see how chords are shaped as it's very different from everything I've tried in the past.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Anyone tried the NST on a 7 with a low F?
My 25.5" sixer is tuned FCGDAE and I'm gonna be getting the Shecter C8 (26.5"), do a pup swap, and tune it to BbFCGDAEB. Basically what I already have but a fifth higher and a fifth lower.

So NST can definitely be done.

So what kind of chords would you guy like to include in the voicing list?
I know I could put major,minor,dominant,sus2,sus4,augmented and dimished in the list easily.

Any other requests/ideas?

troyguitar

Reaction score
That's really as many chords as one would need to jump into it. If you like the tuning, then it's easy to come up with more complex chords yourself once you've got the basics down.

I'd be more interested in seeing some arpeggio ideas for those same chords, possibly including some two-handed stuff if you are into that sort of thing.

(edit: I'm talking about straight fifths here like you're tuned. NST doesn't interest me as much)

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
*Post about tunings*

Great post!

Yes, I'm personally aware of methods to develop a feel for a new tuning, but excellent for other people out there. I was looking for an already established resource - At the moment, and until about next summer, I'm booked with school, work, gigs and projects. Yes, the "I'm-too-busy-to-do-it-on-my-own" post. And it's true. I plan on having more time to experiment with NST, Fifths and this new tuning in about 18 months.

All_¥our_Bass;1783590 said:
^Hmm... I could actually put together a big list of voicings sometime, since I've played with fifths extensively for quite awhile.

That would be awesome. It's not like I can't figure them out myself, and I'm sure most of us here can, but it's having all that experimentation condensed to what sounds good, and what doesn't. And what contextually sounds good. That's a lot of ground to cover. Especially when voice leading gets called into play. I can thrown in inversions in close positions so that I'm not sliding all the voices around like a powerchord (i.e. not traditional rock guitar huge 6 string chords) but can't without knowing what voicing sound nice. I promise to add to said list when I have the time :yesway:

Latest posts

')