Trying out a new guitar tone

• Thread starter Scottckr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
Hello.

So yesterday I was experimenting with some of the patches on my Axe-Fx II and I ended up messing around with my "djent" patch(fas modern amp, 4x12 metal cab) and pulled down the gain A LOT, it used to be around 4.2 and for this I pulled it down to about 1.5 if I remember correctly.
I also decided to record all the guitars(it's just rhythm guitar) using my neck pickup instead of the bridge.
I'm quite satisfied with the tone.
Beware, I'm playing insanely sloppy on this one.

Hmm... by Scottckr on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purelojik

Reaction score
sounds cool but why the neck pickup? bridge is typically used for rhythm stuff and neck for leads. i mean to each his own but thats how most people do it.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I'm at work so can't listen but curious about the neck pickup as well. Always sounds to round & clunky for metal rhythm - I actually prefer bridge for leads too. I'll give it a listen when i get home

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
I was just doing some lead stuff with the neck pickup and on impulse struck a chord and thought it sounded way cooler than playing it on the bridge pickup :p

Chris Finster

Reaction score
It sounds ok. The midrange is such that it sounds like you have a massive spike around 1.7k or so. very honky. Cool riffs though. -Chris

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
It sounds ok. The midrange is such that it sounds like you have a massive spike around 1.7k or so. very honky. Cool riffs though. -Chris

Ah yea, close enough, I've boosted quite a lot around 1.4kHz, what I was aiming for was plenty of pick attack and clarity(hence why I pulled down the gain so much), kind of getting there, gonna experiment a bit more later, probably with just a bit more gain and with both neck and bridge pickups

Chris Finster

Reaction score
Ah yea, close enough, I've boosted quite a lot around 1.4kHz, what I was aiming for was plenty of pick attack and clarity(hence why I pulled down the gain so much), kind of getting there, gonna experiment a bit more later, probably with just a bit more gain and with both neck and bridge pickups

Why you wouldnt just go bridge pickup and perfect the tone from there befuddles me. But there arent any rules i suppose so best of luck.

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
Why you wouldnt just go bridge pickup and perfect the tone from there befuddles me. But there arent any rules i suppose so best of luck.

Because the bridge pickup doesn't have that warmth that are present in neck pickups, but I guess you can probably get close to it with some eq :p

Scottckr

Wololololo
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm thinking single coil might be sweet for this tone, too bad I only own guitars with humbuckers... :(

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I think the neck pick works fine, the upper mid spike is maybe just a bit too much.

The drums however sound like someone kicking the crap out of my speakers lol, what are you using?

')