Trying to achieve something on my 7321...

• Thread starter clouds
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

clouds

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did a quick search on this but to no avail. I've just got an RG 7321 as my first 7 and it's also gonna be my first modding project. I wanna spray it white like a pearl white but don't know how to achieve the really bright finish. I've read you can only get it done professionally so I'm wondering if normal white spray paint (with a load of clear) will suffice?

Also, to do it white, do I need to use a black undercoat primer or is white ok?

Excuse my noob-ness and thanks in advance for your help :shred:.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen some fantastic rattle can jobs, but you're just not going to get a true pearl white finish.

clouds

Reaction score
Ah, ok. So what's the best way of getting a true pearl white finish?

Thanks for your reply.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, ok. So what's the best way of getting a true pearl white finish?

Thanks for your reply.

Using a spray gun set-up would give you the best results. Most pearl finishes are multi-step in which a base coat is sprayed, then the pearl coat, and then finally a clear coat which is then buffed. All that on top of a fully prepped and primed guitar body of course.

It's not the easiest thing to learn to do, but you can typically pick up a decent spray gun and compressor for relatively cheap, especially used. If you're willing to take the time to practice, and have a good area to spray, you may want to look into it.

clouds

Reaction score
Using a spray gun set-up would give you the best results. Most pearl finishes are multi-step in which a base coat is sprayed, then the pearl coat, and then finally a clear coat which is then buffed. All that on top of a fully prepped and primed guitar body of course.

It's not the easiest thing to learn to do, but you can typically pick up a decent spray gun and compressor for relatively cheap, especially used. If you're willing to take the time to practice, and have a good area to spray, you may want to look into it.

Ah, I see. Well seeing as I have no past experience I'll probably look in to an alternative finish. Do you have any suggestions on what types of paint work particularly well for a simple solid colour with clear? I've seen all types of successful jobs with various paints on the forum.

Much appreciated :).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm no paint expert, so you may want to wait for some others to chime in.

I've seen some great results using spray paint and spray clear, and I believe there's an entire book focusing on how to get great results with basic spray paints and lacquers.

Like I said, ideally you'll want some basic spray equipment if solid colors are your thing. You really should look into it, as it's really not that difficult if you're just going to do basic finishes. I've used my dad's spray equipment in the past, and after getting the hang of it getting some good results was as easy as pointing and pulling the trigger.

clouds

Reaction score
Sweet. Ok, thanks for your help.

emperor_black

Reaction score
If you dont clear coat, the spray paint might become sticky to the touch under warm conditions. And the lacquer that you need to spray is highly toxic if inhaled and so you need super heavy duty face masks. IMO its a lot of work. But good luck! :)

clouds

Reaction score
If you dont clear coat, the spray paint might become sticky to the touch under warm conditions. And the lacquer that you need to spray is highly toxic if inhaled and so you need super heavy duty face masks. IMO its a lot of work. But good luck! :)
I understand. I've already got Lacquer and a respiratory mask on the way in the post! Thanks for the input though :).

Jontain

Reaction score
If time is taken using rattle cans there is no reason you cant get a really good finish, it just takes alot longer. If you do decide to go with rattle cans practice on something else first, make sure you build up the layers of primer / paint smoothly by not spraying too close as well as panning back and forth (over the edges of the surface) and using short bursts of paint, as apposed to holding the spray on.

Essentially you just want to build the paint up slowly so it has time to dry evenly around the body and not collect, so you need each application to be thin enough so it does not run aswell as the previous layer being fully dry.

Also hanging the body from a coat hanger or similar is a great way of preventing from paint dryings while touching anything.

hope this helps

seven_stringer

Reaction score
I'm not a pro by any means and I realize that you are going to use lacquer but I thought I would mention an alternate way to get pearl white using AutoAir Colors waterbase paint.

I use AutoAir Colors waterbase paint because I spray in my basement using a knockdown spraybooth and a respirator for safety. To get a pearl white I would use 4001 Sealer White top-coated with a few coats of 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White. Or you can top the 4001 Sealer White with 4420 Hi-Lite Gold. If you go with the 4420 you have to go with really light coats or you will lose the pearl effect and the gold will show too much. Don't ask me how I know.

I have sprayed Stew Mac waterbase white(waterbase clear with white waterbase pigment) for the base coat/primer coat and then applied the AutoAir Colors 4420 with good results. However, next time I want pearl white I will use the 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White over 4001 Sealer White instead.

I spray my non waterbase clear coats outside wearing protection(long sleeves, respirator and eye protection) because I use SprayMax 2K which is a 2 part in a can. The AutoAir can be force dried and the SprayMax clear dries in a couple of hours so a paint job can be done faster than some other paints including the Stew Mac waterbase paint which needs days to dry before clearing.

Good Luck,

Jeff

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a pro by any means and I realize that you are going to use lacquer but I thought I would mention an alternate way to get pearl white using AutoAir Colors waterbase paint.

I use AutoAir Colors waterbase paint because I spray in my basement using a knockdown spraybooth and a respirator for safety. To get a pearl white I would use 4001 Sealer White top-coated with a few coats of 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White. Or you can top the 4001 Sealer White with 4420 Hi-Lite Gold. If you go with the 4420 you have to go with really light coats or you will lose the pearl effect and the gold will show too much. Don't ask me how I know.

I have sprayed Stew Mac waterbase white(waterbase clear with white waterbase pigment) for the base coat/primer coat and then applied the AutoAir Colors 4420 with good results. However, next time I want pearl white I will use the 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White over 4001 Sealer White instead.

I spray my non waterbase clear coats outside wearing protection(long sleeves, respirator and eye protection) because I use SprayMax 2K which is a 2 part in a can. The AutoAir can be force dried and the SprayMax clear dries in a couple of hours so a paint job can be done faster than some other paints including the Stew Mac waterbase paint which needs days to dry before clearing.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Even though that has nothing to do with me, I'm sending some +rep for a generally awesome and helpful post! :cheers:

clouds

Reaction score
If time is taken using rattle cans there is no reason you cant get a really good finish, it just takes alot longer. If you do decide to go with rattle cans practice on something else first, make sure you build up the layers of primer / paint smoothly by not spraying too close as well as panning back and forth (over the edges of the surface) and using short bursts of paint, as apposed to holding the spray on.

Essentially you just want to build the paint up slowly so it has time to dry evenly around the body and not collect, so you need each application to be thin enough so it does not run aswell as the previous layer being fully dry.

Also hanging the body from a coat hanger or similar is a great way of preventing from paint dryings while touching anything.

hope this helps

What spray paints have you used with success? In England we have our trusty budget Plasti Kote sprays which I have considered but I can't see them being thick and/or durable enough :lol:. Cheers for the input.

Thanks for the input. This does intrigue me, and it appears I can find these in the UK. Do you have any pictures of said finish achieved, and is it difficult to achieve? This is my first respray, and I'll be purchasing a spray gun soon.

Edit: Also, may I ask what colour/type primer I would use before spraying the sealer white?

Berserker

Reaction score
Just go to your local Halfords and use their spray cans and laquer. The paint doesn't have to be that thick, just thick enough to get good coverage. Then several coats of laquer and jobs-a-goodun.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. This does intrigue me, and it appears I can find these in the UK. Do you have any pictures of said finish achieved, and is it difficult to achieve? This is my first respray, and I'll be purchasing a spray gun soon.

Edit: Also, may I ask what colour/type primer I would use before spraying the sealer white?

I don't have any good pictures of the pearl finish due to poor lighting and a cheap camera.
IMHO anytime you spray anything other than a basecoat and clearcoat you start to make things more difficult and is hard enough to do well as it is. As I mentioned, if you spray too much 4420 Hi-Lite Gold you lose the pearl effect as I found out the hard way. I was able to re-apply the Stew Mac waterbase white and then try again. This time I went lighter with the 4420 and it worked out.
Using 4001 Sealer White top-coated with a few coats of 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White for a pearl effect is straight from AutoAir Colors website and the way I would go next time as the 4501 is a transparent pearl flake so it won't change the color the way the 4420 can if you apply too much. They also have a pearl white but even they say the 4001 with the 4501 over it is the most brilliant pearl white in the AutoAir Colors line. Check out their website for more information.
I used a very light grey primer which was a mix of the Stew Mac waterbase finish and waterbase white and black pigments. I could have used white only but at the time I was going to paint it a darker non pearl color.
Again, I'm no pro but I keep trying.
Good luck,
Jeff
Tried taking a fresh picture outside but the best one I could get showing the pearl was from inside.

Attachments

• DSC00327.jpg
    DSC00327.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 28

clouds

Reaction score
Just go to your local Halfords and use their spray cans and laquer. The paint doesn't have to be that thick, just thick enough to get good coverage. Then several coats of laquer and jobs-a-goodun.
Went in there earlier, but I've read that enamel paints aren't good for guitars :shrug:.
I don't have any good pictures of the pearl finish due to poor lighting and a cheap camera.
IMHO anytime you spray anything other than a basecoat and clearcoat you start to make things more difficult and is hard enough to do well as it is. As I mentioned, if you spray too much 4420 Hi-Lite Gold you lose the pearl effect as I found out the hard way. I was able to re-apply the Stew Mac waterbase white and then try again. This time I went lighter with the 4420 and it worked out.
Using 4001 Sealer White top-coated with a few coats of 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White for a pearl effect is straight from AutoAir Colors website and the way I would go next time as the 4501 is a transparent pearl flake so it won't change the color the way the 4420 can if you apply too much. They also have a pearl white but even they say the 4001 with the 4501 over it is the most brilliant pearl white in the AutoAir Colors line. Check out their website for more information.
I used a very light grey primer which was a mix of the Stew Mac waterbase finish and waterbase white and black pigments. I could have used white only but at the time I was going to paint it a darker non pearl color.
Again, I'm no pro but I keep trying.
Ah, ok, I was going to enquire on the pearl white as it made more sense judging from the title, but thanks for informing me. Well it's very likely I'll go with these, even if they are a bit pricey. How much do you think I'd need? I plan on doing two guitars - one for practice, and one for my 7321 :D

Thanks so much for the help btw. I've been going mad over deciding what paints to use, and I'm very close now. That guitar still looks lush even if it is inside.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
Remember to follow all the instructions for spraying AutoAir Colors like spray gun tip size and p.s.i. etc. if you go that route. Remember I screwed up and had to respray so I used up all of the 4oz. bottle of 4420 Hi Lite Gold on that one guitar.

I recently purchased two 4oz bottles of 4501 Hot Rod Sparkle White and a 16oz. 4001 Sealer White for the next time around. However, I haven't used them yet so I can't say for sure how many guitar's I will be able to spray with that amount. According to the info from their website a 4oz. bottle will cover three square feet.

I did spray a Charvel type Basswood body with 3 coats of AAC Metallic Gold from a 16oz bottle and I still have more than half of the bottle left over for another finish job. The base was a yellow-ish gold that I mixed up using Stew Mac waterbase pigments and clear.

Good luck,
Jeff

clouds

Reaction score
Sweet. Cheers for the info everyone! Much appreciated.

Latest posts

')