Trying to figure out what this scale is called

• Thread starter ArnoldHablewitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArnoldHablewitz

Thrash4ever
Reaction score
I've played this in several covers and several originals at this point, but I just can't seem to find any trace of it on the internet so I don't know if it has a real name or not. I just call it "The Vader Scale" because I swear the first place I heard it in use was a Vader tune.

Order of intervals:
Root - minor 2nd - minor 3rd - DIMINISHED 4th - Perfect 5th - minor 6th - minor 7th

To give an idea, this scale in the key of D:
D - Eb - F - Gb - A - Bb - C

It's essentially a Phrygian mode with a diminished 4th. I just wondered if there was a real name for it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I've played this in several covers and several originals at this point, but I just can't seem to find any trace of it on the internet so I don't know if it has a real name or not. I just call it "The Vader Scale" because I swear the first place I heard it in use was a Vader tune.

Order of intervals:
Root - minor 2nd - minor 3rd - DIMINISHED 4th - Perfect 5th - minor 6th - minor 7th

To give an idea, this scale in the key of D:
D - Eb - F - Gb - A - Bb - C

It's essentially a Phrygian mode with a diminished 4th. I just wondered if there was a real name for it?

"D Phrygian with a diminished 4th" is actually more or less what its real name would be. It comes from the "Harmonic Major" scale which I only learned about from reading a Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_major_scale .

I'm not going to say this is not a scale, but not every group of 7 notes has a name. :coffee:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You may find this useful :) http://tomwinspear.com/scales/
I generated every possible 7 note scale and their harmony etc here, and then went through every resource I could find to list names for them
Indeed, 3rd mode of Harmonic Major. "Phrygian b4". It's also been called Superphrygian. Could also look at it as 6th mode of Mixolydian b9 which is probably more common than harmonic major.
Pretty cool scale, thanks for pointing it out. I love ones that have both a major and minor triad available! And it's not even all that weird given no consecutive semitones

Latest posts

')