Trying to get a recording-worthy mix!

• Thread starter RagtimeDandy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns/golden-wings2[/SC]

Hey guys, I've been busting my ears over the past few years to get a sound that I find worthy of making an album with. The album that this song would be on is proggy, groovy, metal/metalcore/djenty/elements of death metal. Basically I'm going for a very modern, full, punchy production sound. The mix I've achieved is pretty close to what I'd want with a bit of tweaking (might lower the snare a hair and give it a touch more treble, make the kick a slight bit bassier, guitars are slightly too warm which I'll fix in re-recording...)

I'm looking for advice in terms of the mix itself. I recommend actually downloading the song from Soundcloud to get the full range as Soundcloud unsurprisingly smashed it a bit.

The guitars are slightly too warm as I mentioned before (more a playing around/practice tone, I think it needs to be a bit more treble-driven and tightened up a hair to let the rest of the mix breath). I think I will raise the kick a little and give it slightly more bass (listening to it very loudly makes it not have a full-presence, a bit too drive and weak. I do love that it is cutting the mix though). The snare is an everpresent issue for me - it's either too cutting and dry or too dark and doesn't pop through the mix prominently enough. I'm really damn close to getting it to sound how I want, but I think it could still be better. I am trying to record an album so I want it absolutely perfect.

Anyways, any advice in regards to absolutely anything is welcome.

Thanks! :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fluff191

Riffs And Beards
Reaction score
I wouldnt take away any more low end on the guitars. Just dip right around 200hx with a Q of about .75 about 2db to make room for the bass guitar.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Something is missing from that mix and I'm guessing it's the bass guitar. It just sounds weak, needs more grunt. Distortion and making room for it in the low mids usually does the trick. And a load of compression.

Latest posts

')