Trying to get into Incubus

• Thread starter Glimpsed-AM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I dunno how I've gone so long without listening to these guys! I knew of them, but never cared to look them up. So far I've liked every song my buddy showed me today "Dig" being my favorite one. can anyone give me some good Incubus songs to check out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Science, make yourself and morning view are my favourite by them. Can't really get into their more recent stuff. Check out songs of them albums.

Love this song, from morning view. They put on a great live show

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Science, make yourself and morning view are my favourite by them. Can't really get into their more recent stuff. Check out songs of them albums.

Same here, really love those three albums but their style changed quite a bit as their popularity grew and the songs eventually got more and more poppy, and further from the original stuff they put together on their earlier albums. Not always a bad thing, and there were some songs on the later albums that were still pretty decent, but not nearly as original. Definitely check out the SCIENCE album, lots of unique stuff on there, still one of my all-time favorite albums. :wub:

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
I think whatever made them special just vanished after Morning View for me...

piggins411

Reaction score
For me SCIENCE and A Crow Left of the Murder are the best. The only album that really disappointed me was If Not Now, When? but I still enjoyed it. Deep Inside and Sick Sad Little World still remain as two of my all-time favorite songs

trianglebutt

trianglebutt
Reaction score
SCIENCE is one of my favorite albums of all time. I thought Make Yourself and A Crow Left of The Murder were great as well.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
I find if you smoke some weed before listening its very difficult to find a bad incubus song.

celticelk

Reaction score
I pretty much lost interest starting with *A Crow Left of the Murder*; "Sick Sad Little World" is the only song from that album that I listen to with any frequency. In terms of overall songwriting, I'd probably choose *Make Yourself* as their best album, but I really like the funk-metal approach of *S.C.I.E.N.C.E.*.

wankerness

Reaction score
For me SCIENCE and A Crow Left of the Murder are the best. The only album that really disappointed me was If Not Now, When? but I still enjoyed it. Deep Inside and Sick Sad Little World still remain as two of my all-time favorite songs

I agree with this. I LOVE "SCIENCE" and thought "Make Yourself" and especially "Morning View" were incredibly watered down in comparison. Make Yourself has a few great songs on it too but Morning View was totally uninteresting imo. Crow Left of teh Murder brought back a bit of teh proggy influence here and there so I bothered listening to it a few times, "Sick Sad Little World" is about the only song on there I can clearly remember liking but as a whole I think I liked it?!

wankerness

Reaction score
I pretty much lost interest starting with *A Crow Left of the Murder*; "Sick Sad Little World" is the only song from that album that I listen to with any frequency. In terms of overall songwriting, I'd probably choose *Make Yourself* as their best album, but I really like the funk-metal approach of *S.C.I.E.N.C.E.*.

My problem with "Make Yourself" is that they got rid of most of the crazy/interesting stuff from SCIENCE. Like, nothing came close to "Deep Inside" or "Antigravity Love Song." A few of the ballady songs were pretty good anyway, like "Pardon Me" and "I Miss You," but then some of the other stuff like "Stellar" just goes nowhere and blah. There's still some DJ scratching and the bass player does some interesting playing once in a while (nothing as great as that hilarious slap interlude on "New Skin" though) so it's not totally just regular alt rock but it's pretty close.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Those 3 albums really are outstanding.

I saw them open for Korn in 98' and thought they were interesting, but it didn't grab me much that night. Heard S.C.I.E.N.C.E. shortly after and loved em'. Brandon still had big dreds back then. Next time I saw them they opened for Primus, still have a couple of Mike's picks from that show, on the Make Yourself tour. "Pardon Me" was juuuuust starting to get some airplay, but you could tell by the audience reaction they were going to get bigger.

Great live band too. I think I've seen them 5x now and they've been dead on every show. Eizinger (sp?) is a great guitarist, killer chord work and great use of effects...that solo in "Sick Sad Little World" is killer, thought it was fucking AWESOME when I heard that Eric Johnson 'koto-picking' in there.

I have a VERY fond memory of "Are You In?"- I was driving though Vermont in the winter with a friend's band in an extremely comfortable van with the captain chairs all over it. This was back when we were 17-18 and if my buddy's parents knew we were smoking weed in that van, they would have killed us. There's 1 small, 2-3 second clip on the video I was making of the trip that has us all laughing our asses off, the camera pans over the amazing mountains in Vermont and "Are You In?" is blasting away. That one little clip brings back the whole feeling of being right there with good people with a great view all around.

And it's always fun to bust on the serious metal guys balls when ya pick up an acoustic, play "Drive" and they start talking shit about it. Just hand them the guitar and say, "Go ahead, play that tune. You come up with with a progression like that with some decent chords in it...then talk alllll the shit you want.".

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I think Make Yourself is the most accessible album, but I think SCIENCE is the best. They're both all-time favorites of mine.

I liked Morning View, didn't love it. A Crow Left of the Murder was the last album they put out that was average or better. Light Grenades had a couple good songs and lots of garbage. The intro track to that album is my favorite.. which is sad.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Science is a must have. Make yourself is the only other album that I kept in my collection by them. The rest didn't really do anything for me.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Never been a huge fan, but damn "Pardon Me" is an amazing song. Might decide that's my next pick for our cover band. Mean guitar tone, catchy, cool lyrics...whats not to like!

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Their DVD's are awesome so pick one of those up to start with. All of the songs on them are great! :agreed:

Album wise as everyone said S.C.I.E.N.C.E, Make yourself and Morning View are the ones to get. I'm listening to Crow left of the murder in my car at the moment actually.... Half the songs on there are good

')