TTM devastation 2018 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJC deville

Reaction score
i ordered and received a TTM devastator
Wow these new ones are freaking awesome
Build quality is superb and the neck is fantastic
I own 30 odd guitars Ibanez Kramer bc rich esp dean peavey etc this new TTM wipes the floor with all of them and is now my new favourite
The improvements from the first incantation of TTM is phenomenal

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Is it too early to start calling BS on this shill post? “Hey Jimmy, can you go post a really positive review of my company? Try to make it seem super sketchy, like say my guitars are not just better than any others, but that they’re waaaay better! Then, say how much I’ve improved them since before, so people disregard all other prior reviews. Don’t put any photos in there (or commas, for that matter). And, definitely don’t post anything else, so you literally only have one post on the whole forum. Yeah, that’ll really drive sales!”

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait, TTM is still around? I thought they went into hiding after all the terrible reviews of thier garbage guitars. I'll believe they're not garbage when I see it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I feel like I'm pretty out of the loop, but if these are custom built instruments, I can see some red flags. Some are flaws on the instrument. But also... if this was just ordered and received, why is the trem dusty? Why it sitting on a pile of garbage on a desk instead of on a stand or something?

...much suspicion.

DJC deville

Reaction score
Flaws lol dusty ? Hmmm ive been playing it lmao
Junk yep thats sheet music and other crap on the pool table in my studio i put the guitar up there so it was under the table lights to get pics as for stands if i panned around there full of other guitar brands that are gathering dust as all i play now are TTMs if it was clean and spotless it would look like its not getting any use
jebus i wont show you the pile of cases with bc richs charvels jacksons esp ibanez kramer etc in them as they are covered in dust too my double neck jersey star reissue 1 of 3 made is lying up the other end of the pool table
Im a guitarist not a cleaner lol

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’ll just put these here, in case you need them. Feel free to cut and paste.

. , ! ? ... ;

Seriously, though, I’d be down to check one of these out if they’re pretty good now. I was thisclose to buying a used pink one a few months ago (because I love pink guitars). I’ve never touched one in person, so I didn’t pull the trigger. But pink superstrats with Floyd’s are always on my radar.

Last edited:

DJC deville

Reaction score
Lol , thanks! Appreciate your gift. As of today they are all 100% usa made on site. Pink guitars are awesome. Especially when im a CC fan. If you get a chance try one they will be at NAMM again next yr.
They have some awesome endorsees on the roster.
I think i used all of them? Lol

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Flaws lol dusty ?
There's enough dust on the trem that it's clearly not brand new. The first pic makes the trem route look really messy, but that could be the lighting. Headstock looks like it's got a ding in it from hitting a wall. The closeup of the neck pocket has cracks in the paint.

For what I imagine was probably a very expensive thing to get your hands on, I'd be disappointed with that result. If this was a $400 used instrument I found that just screamed "I am a pink shred machine, please play the sh*t out of me" and it spoke to you when you picked it up, then I'd be all for that. It looks like a fun guitar. Maybe it's a great player. But it doesn't look, to me, like the impressive custom job you're trying to play it as.

DJC deville

Reaction score
Theres no cracks in the paint lol its the lighting when you live in the driest state on the friest continent theres gonna be dust i can assure theres no dings either these arent hi res pics you have to condence to 500kb to upload im not a professional photographer my apologies i was just noting the fact that this is a positive review ....thats probably the problem here
ive actually got one in real life not looking at one on a screen hell i can even play it too

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're allowed to dig your guitar. Power to ya.

It's just this thread isn't a review. There's absolutely no substance in anything you've said.

We know absolutely nothing about the guitar other than you like it and it's pink.

What's the point of posting?

Reaction score
Wow there are some serious haters here!
Since one of you believes a guitar can't exist without details here are mine:
2017 TTM Devastator GFX MortarHead
Stock Humbucker-Single-Humbucker layout (Changed the bridge to a Dimarzio PAF Pro)
Inhouse pickups are actually pretty solid. I have been using the PAF Pro for 24 years though and it is my go to. Just personal preference.
The stock pickups sound like a mid range set of Seymour Duncans
24 frets maple fretboard
Hardrock maple neck (bolt-on)
zero noise when plugged into my B-52 At-100 even though there isn't any shielding I can see
Smooth action on the tuners
Truss rod is different from any I have adjusted before. Oddly, It is very light and quick to adjust. Like zero effort to change tension. My other guitars require a good bit of torque.
The neck is dead straight and action is really really good with pretty much zero fret buzz (at least after I put my EB skinny top heavy bottoms on).
I had to make some slight adjustments to intonation, but you are supposed to do that every time you change tuning or string gauges anyways. Out of the box with the original strings it was very good.
I have a T-O-M style string through bridge. It sits a little high off the body but that is due to the way the neck is set and also very similar to old Kramers from the early 80's.

I use this guitar for studio and band practice work and it has been very stable going from 68 degrees and 50% humidity to 95 degrees 90% humidity. I live in central SC.

I usually don't buy new guitars ever since my experience with Schecter (garbage). My other guitars are 13 years old and 28 years old. But this one is really a good guitar and has a very solid feel and I am having a custom Devastator made in the new USA facility. All their guitars from now will be 100% USA sourced and built. Unfortunately that is being reflected in the new prices.

You can hate my review, which is fine. But this has been my honest experience with TTM so far.
I am honestly new to the brand and am very happy with my experience. Whatever happened 10 years ago or even 2 years ago made me nervous to buy one. But I took a chance and am glad I did. The unfortunate reality of bad news or experiences is that they are usually what stands out the most. And people that are happy usually don't feel the need to YELL at the internet.

Attachments

• Devastator.jpg
    Devastator.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Devastator 2.jpg
    Devastator 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Devastator headstock.jpg
    Devastator headstock.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Weird, two folks in two days to sign up just to astroturf for a brand with a dubious track record. What a coincidence.
Alright MaxofMetal, you were talking about "substance." Pretty sure I delivered.
What can I say about your counterpoint? How about some "substance"? Or are you a keyboard warrior that just likes to talk baseless trash? Trolling?
I agree that they have had a sketchy history. I almost didn't buy one because of the negative online comments, but they were also from 8+ years ago.
Can I ask you a very direct question? What is your actual issue with TTM?
Also, if you can't come up with anything with "substance" we really don't need to continue this apparently one sided discussion. It also helps if you are speaking from recent first person experience. I am digging my guitar regardless of how you may feel about it.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright MaxofMetal, you were talking about "substance." Pretty sure I delivered.
What can I say about your counterpoint? How about some "substance"? Or are you a keyboard warrior that just likes to talk baseless trash? Trolling?
I agree that they have had a sketchy history. I almost didn't buy one because of the negative online comments, but they were also from 8+ years ago.
Can I ask you a very direct question? What is your actual issue with TTM?
Also, if you can't come up with anything with "substance" we really don't need to continue this apparently one sided discussion.

I pretty much laid it out. Not sure what else you need me to explain to you.

I never said you didn't deliver a review. You did. Good job.

Also, I'll leave this right here:
img_2730-jpg.61698

Status
Not open for further replies.