TTM devastation 2018 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I pretty much laid it out. Not sure what else you need me to explain to you.
I pretty much laid it out. Not sure what else you need me to explain to you.

I never said you didn't deliver a review. You did. Good job.

Also, I'll leave this right here:
img_2730-jpg.61698

Well, that is not my guitar. But again it just looks like you are trying too hard to shut this brand down. Like you said before, there is nothing wrong with liking your guitar and also that you would believe this is a good brand when you see it. Well have you honestly tried one lately? Did you go to NAMM and visit the booth? Has anyone brought one to you for work? Have you had your hands on one in the past 10 years or ever? Can you answer any of these questions directly?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, that is not my guitar. But again it just looks like you are trying too hard to shut this brand down. Like you said before, there is nothing wrong with liking your guitar and also that you would believe this is a good brand when you see it. Well have you honestly tried one lately? Did you go to NAMM and visit the booth? Has anyone brought one to you for work? Have you had your hands on one in the past 10 years or ever? Can you answer any of these questions directly?

I've worked on three, but not recent ones. They were garbage, as I stated.

The pics shown today don't make me think they've improved at all.

The fretwork is rough, the binding poorly cut and glued and the inlays are more filler and glue than inlay. At the price they're asking, that is unacceptable. I'm speaking to the picture in my last post.

I would be happy to see better pics of yours. Maybe they're not garbage, they're just inconsistent.

I didn't come here saying these are amazing guitars that "wipe the floor" with others.

The burden of proof is on you guys. So far the evidence offered isn't making them look too great. Would you not agree?

And again, I have to stress the coincidence of two recent posts from new accounts astroturfing. That's never a good sign.

Reaction score
I've worked on three, but not recent ones. They were garbage, as I stated.

The pics shown today don't make me think they've improved at all.

The fretwork is rough, the binding poorly cut and glued and the inlays are more filler and glue than inlay. At the price they're asking, that is unacceptable. I'm speaking to the picture in my last post.

I would be happy to see better pics of yours. Maybe they're not garbage, they're just inconsistent.

I didn't come here saying these are amazing guitars that "wipe the floor" with others.

The burden of proof is on you guys. So far the evidence offered isn't making them look too great. Would you not agree?

And again, I have to stress the coincidence of two recent posts from new accounts astroturfing. That's never a good sign.
You are correct about the inlays, there is mostly clear poly about a 1/8" in deep over the artificial abalone. What would you need to see of my guitar to back up its playability? Or are you more concerned with fit and finish? I had no blemishes and the binding on mine is actually pretty good. Now I don't go so far as to say it's the greatest guitar ever, that is flamboyant. I do believe they are VERY good and reliable. I do all of my own work and have rebuilt a few guitars through the years and while there are things that you don't get on higher end guitars like a tapered heel and recessed bolts the guitar plays great and feels solid. The true test is time, will it still play great in a few years or crap out like my Schecter? I HATE Schecter! But a lot of my friends LOVE Schecter. What is funny is that they ALL agree that is is unstable as hell and requires retuning between songs even when it has been in a room for an hour our two out of the case before a show.
On the flip side I have not had to worry about that at all with my TTM, and that is a huge selling point for me. I am terrified of having another neck twist on me, the schecter was a painted set neck and thus I had no idea what the grain of wood was and couldn't change it out when the need arose.
My main guitar is a 1991 USA Class Axe BC Rich warlock. Most people hate those too. But mine has well over 10,000 hours on it and never had any fret work. It is the most stable guitar I have ever played/owned. I am sure you have horror stories about those, but I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Though only from that era. You couldn't give me a mid 80's or late 90's BC Rich.
My point is that it is possible to make a good guitar even when you have made some questionable moves in the past.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Playability is subjective, not objective. A very well built guitar can play terribly if not properly setup and a horribly built guitar can have the potential to play great with some work and a good setup.

Quality also isn't playability. Quality can be objectively measured.

A quick perusal of thier site puts these guitars at around $2k on average.

That's a lot of money for what I'm seeing here. Don't you think? How much better was yours on arrival? Any pics?

Reaction score
Those pics I already posted were from Day 2. Also, they weren't $2k two months ago. The increase in price corresponds with the 100% USA sourced and built guitars for the new factory that launched Due 1st. Mine was $1100 retail. What pics do you want? I have already changed out the bridge pickup changed tuning and string gauge so the intonation is different.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those pics I already posted were from Day 2. Also, they weren't $2k two months ago. The increase in price corresponds with the 100% USA sourced and built guitars for the new factory that launched Due 1st. Mine was $1100 retail. What pics do you want? I have already changed out the bridge pickup changed tuning and string gauge so the intonation is different.

So is the quality better now that they're twice the price? Would you have bought yours at $2k?

Any pics of the fretwork? Nut? Neck pocket?

Reaction score
I wouldn't have taken the chance at that price honestly. I would have called up RAN or another boutique builder. I was on the fence between a Kiesel and TTM. Roughly the same price, but I am not a fan of most modern guitars and I have never had my hands on one. A friend of mine recommended this company and I went on faith in my friend.
I am glad that I did and got one while they were less expensive. But again, mine was finished pretty damn well. Plus the price I am paying for my custom is based on the old build sheet and prices. Very lucky there. I'd buy these at $1100 all day long.
I do expect a higher level of fit and finish at $2k and unfortunately right now there are no examples floating around quite yet, though I will be happy to share my custom when it comes in.
I do believe though that those will be considerably better than the already pretty damn good guitars. That's my opinion and I wouldn't have trusted them to build my first custom guitar if my current TTM was crap.
Looking at some photos and the neck joint is deceptive, the edge of the neck base is rounded and the top of the neck joint on the body is rounded as well. It looks like a gap, but there is not gap there.
I'll get some close up pics soon (tonight/tomorrow), those were the only ones I had on my iMac, actually had to grab them off FB.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't have taken the chance at that price honestly. I would have called up RAN or another boutique builder. I was on the fence between a Kiesel and TTM. Roughly the same price, but I am not a fan of most modern guitars and I have never had my hands on one. A friend of mine recommended this company and I went on faith in my friend.
I am glad that I did and got one while they were less expensive. But again, mine was finished pretty damn well. Plus the price I am paying for my custom is based on the old build sheet and prices. Very lucky there. I'd buy these at $1100 all day long.
I do expect a higher level of fit and finish at $2k and unfortunately right now there are no examples floating around quite yet, though I will be happy to share my custom when it comes in.
I do believe though that those will be considerably better than the already pretty damn good guitars. That's my opinion and I wouldn't have trusted them to build my first custom guitar if my current TTM was crap.
Looking at some photos and the neck joint is deceptive, the edge of the neck base is rounded and the top of the neck joint on the body is rounded as well. It looks like a gap, but there is not gap there.
I'll get some close up pics soon (tonight/tomorrow), those were the only ones I had on my iMac, actually had to grab them off FB.

If you found it at a shop with a $2k price tag, would you think the quality is commensurate to the price?

So you haven't played a current one, either?

DJC deville

Reaction score
Ok max power or what ever your fake name is what the hell is your issue whats wrong with the above pic ? Theres no cracks in paint etc you experts( sic) appear to be just keyboard warriors patroling your crap site.
I posted in response to the negative reviews some wank kept refering to on a fb page that are 10 yrs old. So i gave a recent one and have had nothing but negativity. Wtf? I dont think your interested in a review you just want to shit can anything TTM related.
So much for a good fair site
But ok ill go away prepare a proper review and comparison to the other brands and repost ....but i guess youll just shit on that too max a million or whatever you call yourself ....its easy to hide behind a screen

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Welp, that seals it. Definitely shill posts. No one defends a product with that level of energy or vitriol if they don't have some interest in the company that makes it doing well.

And, if you guys really do want to write a review, don't just come in and say, "ZOMG it's awesome! It wipes the floor with Jackson, Esp, Ibanez" and not actually discuss anything about the guitar itself. I don't know what crowd you hang out with, but literally no one on here is going to believe a brand with a sketchy history is now better than brands like Jackson, Esp, and Ibanez, that are generally regarded as the gold standard of quality and playability. I can't post onto a foodie site, saying, "Guys, I just ate at Subway, and guess what? It's way better than all the Michelin 3 star restaurants," and expect everyone to say, "Oh, OK poster with no history who just came in and made a seemingly ludicrous claim, we'll drop everything and head over to Subway!"

And, keep in mind that you are just one of many guys who comes onto a site, makes one post about a guitar brand, and then gets offended when people question it. That happens pretty commonly around here, and the vast majority of the time, it's not true, and just someone who was asked by the company to spam sites with glorious recommendations.

Sorry you don't like this site, but it looks like you haven't done any research on your own into it. Bullshit isn't going to go very far here without a bunch of super knowledgeable people (you hit one with Max) calling you out on it.

And as far as your review, we get the subjective stuff. Add some objective stuff, as well. It's way more believable. Otherwise you're just asking for a, "Cool story, bro" response.

And, back off on the hostility. Yes, we are all typing at our keyboards, if that makes us keyboard warriors. What did you expect - we're going to fly to your house and fight like real men? Organize a protest and march? It's the internet. It literally works by people typing stuff on their keyboards.

I have nothing against you or the guitar, but you're coming off pretty defensive and sketchy here. Just my :2c:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

I just checked out the site. So they are all being built in the USA, or are they going to have 2 lines - overseas and US? Looks like all US, but if they already sourced some overseas, I'm wondering if they'll keep that open.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I just read the "about" section of the website. Do you guys with the guitars actually know the guy? I don't know - he sounds kind of pompous. Just on that write up from him, I'd worry if I were to have a warranty issue he'd not honor it, because he'd say I didn 't know what I was talking about. (He sounds like he's saying he's always right, and everyone is always out to get him.) Maybe it's me, but I haven't had the best luck with companies that come off that way.

Reaction score
I just read the "about" section of the website. Do you guys with the guitars actually know the guy? I don't know - he sounds kind of pompous. Just on that write up from him, I'd worry if I were to have a warranty issue he'd not honor it, because he'd say I didn 't know what I was talking about. (He sounds like he's saying he's always right, and everyone is always out to get him.) Maybe it's me, but I haven't had the best luck with companies that come off that way.
I have only dealt with the owner the entire way through my purchases, if I wasn’t happy with my guitar they will take it back, refund my money and pay for shipping. And it’s pretty ridiculous to accuse me of having any financial stake here. I spent a lot of money (at least to me) and got a very good guitar. One that I am happy with, that I believe will age very well. Yes it is that simple. No conspiracy theory.
But this is all pointless, am I right? Because any positive thing I can say you will discredit by discrediting me. So there really is no point of trying to defend myself or my opinions to a couple dudes that are hell bent on shooting me down simply because I have had a good experience with a guitar brand you hate. I like their guitars and have had a good experience with them. So for anyone else out there that is curious about TTM, give them a try. Mine is great and I have a second one coming.

DJC deville

Reaction score
Yes i know the guy on and off for 10 years after i brought my first ttm. Yep lifetime guarantee too on all products. Im hostile cause as being a newbee you have ridiculed me from the start with no helpfull hints or anything. So as i said ill post comparative pics when i get the chance so you can pick fault with ...i sort of have a life too and fb is sort of a new thing that people use instead of individual sites for communicating ....maybe youve heard of social media? Any ways maxpowerranger hollownuts and the rest of you bedroom experts youll have to actually maybe try a new ttm one day (if your allowed out by your mum) so you can actually comment on a subject you know something about
Till later losers

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Welp, I'm out. I tried talking with these guys, and clearly, I'm not getting anywhere. Enjoy the guitars, guys. I'm not going to be buying a TTM, because I still have no useful information about them.

DJC deville

Reaction score
Shills ???? Ive heard this before lmao hmmm sounds like something a certain greg bloke would say dont ya think? I knew youd turn up eventually stick around for my comparison review greg ill be looking forward to your input along with maxibrain and hollerbackboy

Status
Not open for further replies.