Tube amp volume fluctuating up and down.

• Thread starter stinkoman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stinkoman

Reaction score
OK, So this is my first tube amp ever and complete noob with one so please bare with me. It's a Peavey Duel 2x12 if anybody is familiar with this model.

So at first it was intermittently getting very crackingly/static after about 30 minutes or so. Even just plugged in and left alone it would start making that noise. This would come and go. Now when I plug in play the volume has been dropping off and on constantly. I tried a different guitar cable, and used different guitars and still have the same issue. So I'm guessing I need new tubes, but before I do that is there something I should also be looking out for or test before possibly needlessly changing tubes?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Get some DeoxIt D5: remove each tube and spray a little into each tube socket, then carefully work the tube in and out of the socket. Usually crackly sound comes from dirty pots and sockets. Sometimes you can just work the tubes without spray, but having the spray is nice, and cleans the sockets and pots better.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How long have you had the amp? How old is the amp?

I would take it to a tech for servicing. Get everything cleaned up and taken care of, so you know it's at peak performance. Much easier to address issues if you have a baseline of "working normally" haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely echoing the opinion to get this thing some TLC, if I remember correctly they're from the early 90's, so the pots and jacks are likely in need of a good cleaning and refresh, same with the board if it's caked with dust.

The tubes and sockets could use the same attention.

Can you do this on your own? Sure. It's pretty straight forward and there's tons of guides out there, and plenty of users here would be more than happy to walk you through whatever. But, amps can kill you dead. Quickly and painfully. Perhaps consider taking it in, at least this once, to a professional, talk to them about what they do and build up your knowledge before playing with electrons.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
The age of the amp is definitely a factor and maintenance will be needed but if a tech has not checked it out, you should take it there to ensure that the problem does not run deeper. Bear in mind that pushing the amp to higher volumes and gain levels will deplete the life of the tubes. It differs from any solid state one you owned so far.
If the amp is ok then your tubes seem to be reaching their failing threshold, based on your description.