tube or solid state?

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer tubes or solid state amps?

• Tubes

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • Solid state

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • whatever's on hand - no preference

Votes: 20 14.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Another SS tone that owns: Disincarnate. TS9+Valvestate+JCM cab.

Sonata Arctica was all Line 6 for a long time, IIRC. So has Jeff Loomis of Nevermore on tour for a long time.

You know, I hate thinking about "who uses what". I'm not them. You're not them. Their opinion is null, because they're not here.

Most of the tube snob "gurus" think that preamp tube distortion is pathetic and not much better than SS distortion. So to them most high-gain amps are shit, tube or SS, I guess. lol Seems a bit silly, right?

The old complaint about SS was that it sounded like shit up loud. Mostly because the power section started to clip and that's not a positive in SS amplification. Tubes get loud into clipping and it gets all squishy and still sounds good. Now that amp companies are making 300+ watt SS power amps, that doesn't hold water anymore.

Play what you want. I like some tubes amps, but most of them require volumes that would get me evicted if I wanted to play, more often than not.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
:lol: amen to that, i once did a recording of my rig through my 412ms at the lowest volume possible, using a sm57... i wish i still had it, cause it sounded damn good, real punchy, and perfect reproduction of my tone at high volume as well

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Elysian said:
you also can't forget that all the tube amps you hear on albums, have been processed by many millions of dollars worth of equipment, and live is usually the same story, they might as well have brought the studio with them... oh another one with good tone(imo at least) from solid state was chuck schuldiner of Death/Control Denied, he used a valvestate head... i guess you could argue it was sort of tube though... hybrid anyways...

You're really grasping for straws now man. The way tube amps sound on records and in person is nearly the same. When I hear a band such as Arch Enemy, In Flames, Cannibal Corpse, Machine Head, Nevermore or whoever using a Peavey on their record, their tone sounds more or less the same that I hear when I use it - the main differences being in pick technique, guitars, style and tuning. The only thing that expensive in the studio is the mic pre-amps people sometime use, such as an Avalon 737 which is fairly commonly used, beyond that it's not processed much at all. Many engineers simply mike up a nice 4x12 with a SM57 or 57 Beta run it through the mixing board and thats it. In fact, many of the tubes amps I love sound better live than they do on some of my favorite records, which would indicate they just sound that damn good period - with or without processing.

In response to your other post, like I said many times before, I agree that if you're looking for reliability and versatility, then SS/Digital makes a lot of sense, no one's arguing that. The bottom line is, everyone has their own sound they prefer, all I'm saying is I think (good) tube amps are in a whole other league and it has nothing to do with reputation or tradition, and even if it did, there's a reason why that reputation and tradition was established.

Use what makes you happy, just don't oversimplify things and make like there's no big difference between SS and tube amps. It is night and day.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
Elysian said:
imo.

wonder how many people live in texas, i haven't seen any yet on here, maybe i just haven't looked enough lol... i'd love to a/b my rig against someone on here's tube rig...

Hey I live in Texas dude. And Im an SS man all the way bro:shred:

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
I own a modeling amp that I run through a tube power amp into a 4x12 cab live. Last Saturday night, in the second song of our set, it died....one of the guys in the crowd (a friend from another local band) says "hey, I've got my Bogner upstairs, you wanna use it?".

Do I wanna use it? Heh...uhh...yeah....

So, he brings it down and sets it up for me. Had to cut out some cute effects stuff that I usually do and just run it dry, but all things considered, I was just happy to have an amp to get me through the show at this point.

Fire it up, and OH MY GOD. This was an Ecstasy 101B. Running it through my Mesa 412. I was absolutely dumbfounded at how fabulous this thing sounded. Even though it didn't have the preamp gain that I would like, It absolutely killed. I mean destroyed. Slaughtered. Laid to waste. Megatons of volume and tone that I can only describe as sounding like pure electricity. On top of that, it was dead quiet, without a noise gate. Ridiculous.

I used to think that the "high end" or "boutique" amps were just an excuse for some guy who could hand wire an amp in his garage/shop to charge ridiculous amounts of money just because they were "hand wired" or whatever. Now kids, I'm a believer. And while I can't afford one at the moment, I'm saving my pennies.

:bowdown: Worship the toob!!! :bowdown:

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
I own a modeling amp that I run through a tube power amp into a 4x12 cab live. Last Saturday night, in the second song of our set, it died....one of the guys in the crowd (a friend from another local band) says "hey, I've got my Bogner upstairs, you wanna use it?".

Do I wanna use it? Heh...uhh...yeah....

So, he brings it down and sets it up for me. Had to cut out some cute effects stuff that I usually do and just run it dry, but all things considered, I was just happy to have an amp to get me through the show at this point.

Fire it up, and OH MY GOD. This was an Ecstasy 101B. Running it through my Mesa 412. I was absolutely dumbfounded at how fabulous this thing sounded. Even though it didn't have the preamp gain that I would like, It absolutely killed. I mean destroyed. Slaughtered. Laid to waste. Megatons of volume and tone that I can only describe as sounding like pure electricity. On top of that, it was dead quiet, without a noise gate. Ridiculous.

I used to think that the "high end" or "boutique" amps were just an excuse for some guy who could hand wire an amp in his garage/shop to charge ridiculous amounts of money just because they were "hand wired" or whatever. Now kids, I'm a believer. And while I can't afford one at the moment, I'm saving my pennies.

:bowdown: Worship the toob!!! :bowdown:

Actually Bogner/uberschall was one of the tube amps I considered before getting my SS warhead. If it wasnt for the insane price I might have went with it. They were neck and neck with eachother for me. The distortion in the warhead was just a little bit more evil sounding. If I could find an uberschall that didnt cost my firstborn I would definately get it.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes Bogners are great amps, although I feel your euphoric experience could be replicated with less expensive tube amps too as long as it was setup properly.

Elysian, I haven't heard your clips yet, I will listen now...(listening)....ok I've listened, the tone isn't bad but TO MY EARS it just sounds very bland and 2dimensional, lacking organic 3 dimensional tube sound. It sounds clear and nice and everything, its just missing that 3rd dimensional to my ears.

This is just my opinion, I'll say again for the millionth time that whatever anyone wants to play is fine, it would just be nice if everyone could hear all the options in optimal conditions before making their choices, it would have saved me YEARS of trial and error.

Perhaps I'll post a little clip of my little tube mesa 22watt combo amp, it wont be loud (as everyone knows tube amps need to be cranked to hit their sweet spot), but it can still demonstrate how night and day tube and ss amps are in tonal character.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
AAAAAhhhhh come on you know you just like those tube amps because you think they look cool with those big shiney light bulbs and all the other tube heads will tell you how cool your tone is because you have those shiney light bulbs up in there :bowdown: :idea: :lol:

j/j

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
lol, yeah the cool lights dont hurt. in fact my Peavey head features a "Peavey" logo which lights up bright red, neon green or orange depending on what channel is selected, it lights up the whole room, looks cool :p

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Yes Bogners are great amps, although I feel your euphoric experience could be replicated with less expensive tube amps too as long as it was setup properly.

Elysian, I haven't heard your clips yet, I will listen now...(listening)....ok I've listened, the tone isn't bad but TO MY EARS it just sounds very bland and 2dimensional, lacking organic 3 dimensional tube sound. It sounds clear and nice and everything, its just missing that 3rd dimensional to my ears.

This is just my opinion, I'll say again for the millionth time that whatever anyone wants to play is fine, it would just be nice if everyone could hear all the options in optimal conditions before making their choices, it would have saved me YEARS of trial and error.

Perhaps I'll post a little clip of my little tube mesa 22watt combo amp, it wont be loud (as everyone knows tube amps need to be cranked to hit their sweet spot), but it can still demonstrate how night and day tube and ss amps are in tonal character.
so what i gather from this post is, because you know its digital before you listened, it is obviously missing something. to use your own words, "you're really grasping for straws now"...

the first clip got posted on a few other forums(by a friend of mine, so i don't have the link handy), and besides many "this is good" comments, there were a few asking what the rig was, and guessing it was at least a tube preamp. it was kind of like a blind test.

also keep in mind both clips were done on my rhoads v, which sports a hot ass dimarzio x2n in the bridge spot...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's okay man, I just didn't like the sound very much. I understand it was direct and perhaps through a good poweramp and cab its probably a lot better, I was just going on what I could hear.

I don't know what else to say man, you're a cool dude and I respect your opinions, but I just can't get into SS tone, tube amps just have characteristics that are very attractive to me that I can't live without. It's hard to explain, it would take forever so I'll spare everybody. I wish you were around so we could hear each others rigs but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In other news, I saw that AMS and other online music retailers have started to sell this Randall 50watt tube head (RH50T) at an astonishing $475 pricetag. I've never heard of those models and I believe they are new, but that's the cheapest I've ever seen a genuine tube amp cost brand new. I ordered one just out of curiosity. If it turns out to be great, thats the best value ever. I'll post somewhere on that when it shows up hah.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
^ I believe the new Peavey Valveking heads are gonna for $450-475 also. :yesway:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
It's okay man, I just didn't like the sound very much. I understand it was direct and perhaps through a good poweramp and cab its probably a lot better, I was just going on what I could hear.

I don't know what else to say man, you're a cool dude and I respect your opinions, but I just can't get into SS tone, tube amps just have characteristics that are very attractive to me that I can't live without. It's hard to explain, it would take forever so I'll spare everybody. I wish you were around so we could hear each others rigs but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In other news, I saw that AMS and other online music retailers have started to sell this Randall 50watt tube head (RH50T) at an astonishing $475 pricetag. I've never heard of those models and I believe they are new, but that's the cheapest I've ever seen a genuine tube amp cost brand new. I ordered one just out of curiosity. If it turns out to be great, thats the best value ever. I'll post somewhere on that when it shows up hah.
its ok, while i'm at roberto-venn i'm actually going to amp class to learn how to build tube amps :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've never played those, that's cool though. I love Peavey tube heads. I'm really intrigued to hear the Randall tube head I mentioned, I've had GREAT experiences with 50watt tube heads even inexpensive ones. I love 50watt tube amps because you can hit the sweet spot at a more managable volume level than with 100 watters. The fact that you can get a Laney GH50L on eBay for $400 is just amazing, that is one of the best sounding amps on the planet, I implore anyone with an open mind to check one of those out, everyone I've turned on to the Laneys have flipped out once they plugged it in.

Elysian: Neat. Hopefully the first thing they teach you is to use JJ tubes :)

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
I love 50watt tube amps because you can hit the sweet spot at a more managable volume level than with 100 watters.
I like that and I also like the fact that they break up quicker.
I love me some tight, focused metal tone but I also love it when the speakers start working really hard.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
My experience has also been that lower wattage amps sound slightly "rounder" and spongier than higher wattage ones even at low volumes, and while that's highly personal in that for some (me) it's a good thing while for others it's not, generally I've found that I prefer 50-watt or less tube rigs to anything else I've tried.

As far as good solid state amps, I've always been really impressed by Tech-21's. The Trademark-60's high gain sounds leave a lot to be desired, but the "fender-y" side of that amp can get closer to SRV terrirory than many tube Fenders I've played, and the high-gain tones from the Trademark-10 are awesome - it'd make a great practice rig. However, that's really about the only solid state amp I've ever been seriously impressed with. I've played a few other that were decent, but nothing else that made me think, "Man, that sounds and feels pretty damned good."

Status
Not open for further replies.
')