tube or solid state?

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer tubes or solid state amps?

• Tubes

Votes: 100 70.4%
  • Solid state

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • whatever's on hand - no preference

Votes: 20 14.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
guitar center salesman: hey, what can i do for ya?
me: got any tube amps?
guitar center salesman: uh, lemme go look in the back....

;)

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Nick1 said:
Got any clips of that rig? Id love to hear what that sounds like!

Not at the moment. However, if you go to www.endtheory.net & check out the rough mixes of my upcoming CD, the tone is nearly identical to what I have now. At the time of the recording, I was using a Rocktron Chameleon / BBE 482i combination with a Rocktron Velocity 300 & a Mesa 295 poweramp. I upgraded my rack about 4 months ago.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Nick1 said:
you like the line6 better than the Rocktron?

I don't really prefer one over the another. Both are fantastic units. they are just different, but equally amazing. The reason for the switch was it was just time to upgrade. My rocktron was getting pretty old & it had been repaired a few times. It's still my backup preamp though. I bought the Line6 for reliability purposes. Overall, I was able to duplicate my rocktron tone with the Line6 with minimal effort. Both units are easy to operate & as long as you match up the Line6 or the Rocktron with a BBE, you're gonna get a CRUSHING tone. But then again, I NEVER leave home without my BBE. it just makes everything better. :lol:

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
Im glad im not the only solid state guy around here. Its amazing I get cussed out when I say I prefer SS at guitar center its like blasphemy or something! Then I bring my warhead down and they scratch their heads trying to think of bad things to say about it lol. My warhead owns :shred:

Nick1

Reaction score
guitarjitsumaster said:
Im glad im not the only solid state guy around here. Its amazing I get cussed out when I say I prefer SS at guitar center its like blasphemy or something! Then I bring my warhead down and they scratch their heads trying to think of bad things to say about it lol. My warhead owns :shred:

Got any clips of it?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Tubeworks Mosvalve 500 (500w). :hbang:

I had the original version (160W) of this amp for years. The best SS power amp for guitar in existence. If I had to go non-tube, this is what I'd use (again.)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Leon said:
guitar center salesman: hey, what can i do for ya?
me: got any tube amps?
guitar center salesman: uh, lemme go look in the back....

I gotta give my local GC credit for that one - the Mesas are the second thing you see after you walk in, right beside the "island" of el cheapo guitars.

Of course, if one more Mesa "expert" there walks over and messes with settings while i'm trying out a guitar, they may get some tuning pegs upside the head. Man, their salesmen are idiots... :mad:

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I use tube amps for solid body guitars, and Solid state for hollows and semi-hollows. I also use solid state for everything non-guitar. I use a 1980 Acoustic G100-112 amp (basically a Mesa Mark II clone) with an EVM-12L and a Carvin X100-b half stack for the solids, and a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 for the 175 and whatever else.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a modeler man myself, but more out of necessity than choice. I couldn't afford a decent tube amp unless I saved for a LONG time. That being said, I'm very happy with modelers, and aside from sounding great they're a lot less finicky and expensive than tube amps. If money was no object, maybe I'd go tube, after all tube amps are the standard in sound for a reason. But in the real world, I'm just glad that a po' boy like me can get a modeler that sounds as good as it does, plus I can record a cranked sound direct. So no complaints here. :yesway:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I play through a solid-state Crate amp for pretty much everything, just because I've had it for years now, and I've never had any problems in terms of sound or reliability, so there's no real reason to replace it, although I did seriously look at getting a POD to use as a pre-amp a few years back. If I upgrade to a more powerful setup I'd probably go for a Line 6 rig just for the sake of versatility, although I agree they haven't completely nailed the mythical tube tone yet.
Anyway, Mike Stern, BB King and Ty Tabor have all wrung great tones out of SS gear...

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
god I hate guitar centers. When I went in to buy the Line 6 cab from them, they directed me towards a Marshall cab (which I agree fucking rock), and the dude wouldn't let me just buy the fuckin Line 6 cab. He told me ANGUS YOUNG! used these, JIMMY PAGE! so you don't want to go against the greats... for 1, they both sucked (although jimmy was good for his time)... 2... I wanted the line 6 one, because that's the tone I want... so I left and got it for $1000 cheaper from a local guitar shop.

The Hughes and Kettner amps were brought up in another thread, and I ahve to say, those are the only tube amps I truly love. I would play one for all my stuff, except they are a little too pricy. Their cheap-o matrix 100 head for like $500, and cab, totally kick ass. If there wasn't the flextone head, I would definately get the Matrix. It's pretty much the same thing, just without the easy access outputs.

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
personally i wish ss would stop trying to emmulate tubes. they could sound so much better if they would stop.

when i play with my band, i borrow a dual rectifer.(bass player owns one)
other wise its carvin sx300 or gnx4 through a pa cause im poor.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
thepunisher said:
personally i wish ss would stop trying to emmulate tubes. they could sound so much better if they would stop.

+1 :agreed:

Randall had a breakthrough in that area with their line of solid states. Unfortunately most other brands are trying to stay in their financial comfort zones. When you try to innovate with solid state your going out on a limb because a lot of people have been brainwashed by the tube nazis and dont realize that solid state can stand on its own merits. I think randall's line of solid states is just a small glimpse of what SS can do.

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
i was just curious, ive never played a randall.

none around to test out in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')