Tube Recommendation?

jdiz

Reaction score
I run an older mesa dual rectifier solo into a trad slant 412 mesa cab. I like to have a clean boost on my distorted channel because it was lacking sustain and attack without. I currently have el34s that have been in there since I purchased it used a couple months ago. Thinking I should change the tubes.. I'm very happy with how it sounds right now with a tubescreamer in front of it, but I'm also interested in playing with its insides ... I play brutal, tech, psychedelic, slam infused death metal...

What tubes would you recommend for the style of music I play?
Do tubes always have to go in/out as pairs?
Is it considered wildly inappropriate to be playing brutal death metal with EL34s? ?
Was this enough of a unique situation to start a thread?

Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I used to run el34 power tubes in my old triple rectifier and I definitely preferred 6l6s for most types of metal.

The el34s add a bit of midrange, but cut out some of the crucial low end punch.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Mesa branded 6L6s will really beef up the tone.
Yes, keep the matched pairs together (they're color coded to match the amp's fixed bias setting).

EL34's do have a sharper more compressed midrange which is cool also, but for the huge menacing recto-tone IMO the 6L6s rule. (not to mention they dominate for cleans)

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
What tubes would you recommend for the style of music I play?
Do tubes always have to go in/out as pairs?
Is it considered wildly inappropriate to be playing brutal death metal with EL34s? ?
Was this enough of a unique situation to start a thread?

Cheers.
I would probably stick with 6L6s for that amp and that style. There is a definite difference in low punchiness.

Not only should the tubes be matched in pairs, do not mix EL34 and 6L6 tubes. Also, the pairs in your amp are the two outside tubes as a pair and the two inside tubes as a pair.

It is not wildly inappropriate to be playing brutal death metal with any tone that you're happy with. If you like the EL34 experience, keep it going. If you like the EL34 experience and wish you had a bit more punch, try KT77s in there instead. If you wanna have that classic (some would say generic, but it's not like everyone loves it because it sucks) Recto tone, most would say plunk in the 6L6s.

When I played a Recto, I used 6L6s. I tried the EL34s, but they didn't really do it for me. I knew exactly what I wanted out of that amp and it was the 6L6 tone.

Trenchy is also right, the 6L6s give some mighty nice, touch sensitive cleans on those amps. The Rectos are highly underrated for their abilities in the clean arena.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
KT77--all the mid power and growl of EL34 with the low end punch of 6L6 and are the best sounding tube i've used at lower volumes

mesaboogie6l6

Reaction score
I have a Mesa 2 channel revision F Dual Rec, I use KT88/KT66's (JJ's) from Eurotubes, punch and bottom is over the top good, using RFT in V1 and JJ's in V2-5 for pre's..

jdiz

Reaction score
So would V1 be your gain preamp tube? with the cylindrical casing? so that should probably get changed as well eh, where as V2-V5 aren't pushed as hard, so it's not necessary to change them as often?

Mine is a 2 channel as well. I'm not sure what revision it is though.. I even contacted mesa and they say the serial number is not an indicative of the revision, but from what I've researched I think it is an F as well. Does yours has the detachable powerchord? How can I tell what revision mine is? Cheers man.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
So would V1 be your gain preamp tube? with the cylindrical casing? so that should probably get changed as well eh, where as V2-V5 aren't pushed as hard, so it's not necessary to change them as often?

Mine is a 2 channel as well. I'm not sure what revision it is though.. I even contacted mesa and they say the serial number is not an indicative of the revision, but from what I've researched I think it is an F as well. Does yours has the detachable powerchord? How can I tell what revision mine is? Cheers man.

V1 is always your input driver stage. You want a good strong, clean tube as that is the primary stage of amplification. It is not where most of the overdriven, gainey tonality comes from in a higain design, but it is where your overall signal is determined. Having a weaker tube here will reduce clarity in later gain stages.

In general, my favorite V1 tube is either a Tung-Sol or Mullard reissue.

vick1000

Reaction score
Tung Sol 7581 (6L6GC variant, more headroom, not as scooped).

greendog86

Reaction score
im a big fan of 6l6 tubes for their tight deep low end,
and recently i tried some JJ e34l's ( e34l ...not el34) in my el diablo head and.. wow what a tone!
they have this raw and aggressive midrange of el34 but with deeper low end
and tamed highs. the perfect combination of the 6l6's tightness and el34's
rich tone. definitely a keeper...

Latest posts