Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Solid State Rectifer

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday at practice I noticed my amp was feeling stiff, it started pissing me off so I switched to the tube rectifiers. This felt AWESOME, there was also plenty of natural compression depending on how I played, and things were less harsh, notes sang more, and harmonics jumped out of the speakers.

The downside is, it wasn't as aggressive or "there". I have the stock 54UGB tubes, they're also probably old.

So, what kind of Rectifiers do you guys prefer? If tube rectifier, what tubes do you prefer and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Roadster, so both. I use the diodes for rhythm, to get that tight, aggressive sound, and tubes for lead, to get a more organic, singing sound.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I've got a 2 channel dual so I have to choose! :lol: I'd love to have that feel of the tube rec but still keep it aggressive....sounds like an oxymoron :flame:

Krunch

Krunch SMASH
Reaction score
I have a Roadster, so both. I use the diodes for rhythm, to get that tight, aggressive sound, and tubes for lead, to get a more organic, singing sound.
Ditto for me with the Roadking. I run all 6 tubes (diode is the only option) for my rhythm for maximum tightness and I run my lead channel at 50 watts, 2 EL34s with the rectifier engaged. I also use the recto tubes on my clean channels.

Are you still using the Mesa recto tubes? If so, the big wierd shaped ones or the short 6L6 shaped ones?

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa tubes, 5U4GB or something like that. They are more 6L6 sized.

What do you guys think about the GZ34 tubes? They are supposed to have a bit less sag

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got the single, so solid state only for me.

I never felt like the tube rectifier made a huge difference when I played with them in GC's, but then again I never really opened one up until I bought myself a Single and ran it through a Hot Plate, so I suspect it's another volume thing.

Krunch

Krunch SMASH
Reaction score
I've done very little research on rectifier tubes. I've been content with the 5U4GBs that Mesa uses, so I really can't help much. I used to have the big wacky shaped 5U4s in mine (they were stock when I bought my RK) but they were replaced with the short ones when I sent it in for repairs. It's been a while but I remember liking the big ones more. I think the short ones are tighter and a bit less saggy, but I think the others sounded better.

Shaman

Reaction score
For me, it depends on my mood and the tone I try to achieve.

Sometimes I want a smoother tone, I go with tubes, sometimes I want to have an aggressive articulate tone, then I go with diodes.

I love 'em both, but for different things. That's the sweet part, you have both!

Well, I've got a 2 channel dual so I have to choose! :lol: I'd love to have that feel of the tube rec but still keep it aggressive....sounds like an oxymoron :flame:

Tube rectifier->bold->red channel->modern

That should do it :hbang:

Adamh1331

RED.
Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa tubes, 5U4GB or something like that. They are more 6L6 sized.

What do you guys think about the GZ34 tubes? They are supposed to have a bit less sag

5U4's..if you think those are to spongy or mushy the GZ34's will fix that and they still keep the rectifier tone without the mush and its what i use

g3rmanium

NullPointerException
Reaction score
Hm. I have two vintage Marshalls but they use diode rectifiers.

The Rocktron Piranha I play now is solid state.

The little Silvertone I have has a tube rectifer but it has no gain whatsover.

:shrug:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
No actually it is kind of a general question to see what you guys prefer and to get tips and hints from. Does have to be Dual Rectifier specific.

I started this thread as a general discussion really, not another of my "god damnit help me tube gurus!!!!!!!!!" threads.

Ah. :partyhat:

Maybe Mike should have mentioned that ;)

Party On Johann

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ah. :partyhat:

Maybe Mike should have mentioned that ;)

I've never seen that smiley, that rules. :lol:

I stand corrected- i figured you were asking about Rectos since 1.) you were playing one, and 2.) it's the only amp I'm aware of where you can switch it both ways. :lol:

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
I have both types of amps and I use the solid state loaded ones mostly. I don't ever turn them up loud enough to make use the natural inabilities of the tube rectifier. :(

I know what you are talking about. The best sounding rock type amp I have ever played was a REAL fender 1959 Bassman, and you can really hear the difference best in something like that! The thing just sings!

g3rmanium

NullPointerException
Reaction score
I started this thread as a general discussion really, not another of my "god damnit help me tube gurus!!!!!!!!!" threads.

I hear most of the component changes in simple circuits. Not sure if Rectifiers classify as simple circuits. :scratch:

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
On the RK:

I use the ss for rhythms with one pair of 6L6s and one pair of EL34s. For leads I use both pairs of 6l6s and the tube rectifier.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Bumping this thread for an update, rise Lazarus!

So, I just got the GZ34 rectifier tubes: They rule.

Nice tight and aggressive like a SS recto, with the warmth of the Tube recto. When you switch from the GZ34's to the SS it sounds harsh, cold and fizzy in comparison.

Recto owners, try these tubes!! :)

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
about once a year I get a hankerin' to use tube rectifiers - other than that I'm a diode kind-of-guy :metal: