Tube vs. Solid State

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

My main rig is:

• Tube.

Votes: 81 59.1%
  • Solid State.

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Now :Tube

Before: SS

Probably in the Future: Not sure.

I like both, but for now I'm loving my Laney too much to put anything but Tube down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dolflundgren

Sixstring Revolution
Reaction score
This debate has been exhausted, IMO. Personally, I prefer the tube "feel" and sound over almost all SS amps. I prefer SS reliability as I'm starting to have problems with my tube amp. All in all, however, the newest modeling technology not only keeps getting better, but it keeps making me double think my tube loyalty.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Dolflundgren said:
This debate has been exhausted, IMO.
Well yes, the age old debate of Tubes vs. SS is tiresome, but that's not what we're discussing here. The question was simply "What do you use?" Nothing more. :D

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Right now? SS all the way. Both my preamps are ss (Digitech GNX4 and Rocktron Chameleon) and my poweramp is a Rocktron Velocity 120.

I voted for both though, as tomorrow I pick up my first tube amp ever. Marshall 20/20 and EL84 tube power here I come!

Kingcrimson

Electra Glide
Reaction score
Chris said:
Which is your main rig? I know people own both. Which is your primary source of tone?

Tube all the way...

003.jpg

Nick1

Reaction score
Ok,

If Im playing live or with other people where I am able to get nice and loud, I use my tube rig.
That currently consists of.............

Mesa 50/50
Peavey Rockmaster
Avatar 412 with Celest. Vin 30s.

When Im teaching at home or having people over to play I use my 2 Roland Cube 60 amps. The Cube amps are the absolute best SS amps out there! they are superb! When Im practicing at night I use both of them. 1 is for my looper and the other is for me to solo with. Plus they go direct! You can plug them into a PA or a mixer!!!!!

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I actually go both ways. Just depends if I'm being clean or dirty. :evil:

67068.jpg

Reaction score
Tube. I play at home so I don't really need a massive wall of sonic mayhem, right now I'm just running a Tonebone Plexitube pedal into a hasserl-modded Carvin V16. The modded V16 is a sweet sounding amp but a little more vintage and bluesy than I'm into. I'm seriously considering checking out the Carvin V3 in the fairly-near future.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
digital/solid state right now, but i might be getting a 2101 in the near future, i dig those things.

goth_fiend

Reaction score
solid state for now, Im quite happy with my tone, but I do play on testing out a carvin tube powermap, and possibly one of the poweramps that shannon has (tubeworks like mine, but MUCH more output)

RAP

Reaction score
If I don't count my podxt or vamp2, then I'd say tube, once I get my Atomic Amp.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
Vetta all the way... If not for Vetta then it would have to be Tubes... 99 Mesa Dual or a Diezel.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Tube for playing with bands and recording. For practicing, Micro Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')