Tung oil on walnut and swamp ash

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
I am strongly considering getting a Carvin 727 with a swamp ash body with a walnut top. I would like to get some opions or advice on what top coat I should do. My first choice is tung oil but I need to know how well walnut takes to tung oil. Darren Wilson (Decibel Guitars) recently applied tung oil to his walnut prototype and it is beautiful but I haven't really been able to find anything else. I want to avoid a gloss finish by the way. I hate the little scratches that occur over time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I am strongly considering getting a Carvin 727 with a swamp ash body with a walnut top. I would like to get some opions or advice on what top coat I should do. My first choice is tung oil but I need to know how well walnut takes to tung oil. Darren Wilson (Decibel Guitars) recently applied tung oil to his walnut prototype and it is beautiful but I haven't really been able to find anything else. I want to avoid a gloss finish by the way. I hate the little scratches that occur over time.

Everything i've built has a tung oil finish. Just use a bunch of coats. :)

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
I'd suggest against having the tung oil on the body personally; doesn't give much protection to the wood. On the neck though it's pure sex. I'd stick with matte satin (That's what I've got on mine)

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
Pretty much ALL oil finishes won't add protection (unless there are some I am unaware of).

The tung oil should work quite well. You can also try Danish oil. Oh, and for a little extra sheen at the end, put on a coat of Howard's Feed N' Wax after the tung oil has had some time to dry.

')