Tuning a 7 in 5th's, what is it exactly?

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
I'm reaaaallly wanting to try something new, I've seen people tuning to fifths, but I have no idea what the tuning is on a seven, can anyone fill me in?:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
well, since we're much more limited by the high range than the low range, I usually start there then go down in fifths. If you start with a high G (about as high as you can go without custom strings) that means your tuning on a 7 would be (low to high)
Db-Ab-Eb-Bb-f-c-g. However, since Db is pretty freaking low, often times people don't have a full fifth on the top interval and use a different interval such as a minor 3rd. This would then make the tuning F-C-G-D-a-e-g

Corwin

Reaction score
Sounds cool.
If i'm not mistaken, I think that some of the Chapman sticks are tuned that way - 5ths.
You might want to check it out. (If there's any similarities to a guitar, you might get some info from it)

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
If you use Garry Goodman's strings you can get to high A or B.
W/ High B: FCGDAEB
W/ High A: EbBbFCGDA

OR

You can use his awesome "bass-range-tuning-on-guitar" strings to do stuff like...
BF#C#G#D#A#F
BbFCGDAE
AbEbBbFCGD, etc.

I personally have a 6 in lowF-highE tuning, and have a 7 that will be going in either F-B or Bb-E. I think I'm gonna end up buying my usual F-E set and then buy a few high B's and low Bb's so I can try both. I personally would love to have a fanned 8 to tune to BbFCGDAEB, and a fanned nine to get EbBbFCGDAEB.

At the moment, for my low C and F I have to use bass strings (nanoweb elixirs) but will be giving Goodman's stuff a try once I get some more money, since I just had a lil' vacation and have to pay my buddy back for a concert ticket, I'm gonna be broke for a short while.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I did the FCGDAE thing on a 6, if I was to apply the tuning to a 7 I'd go with the high G. Sure it's not pure fifth's but I wouldn't like to tune any higher really. It's a really good tuning to try out, it's really easy to pick up some scale and chord shapes and if you've ever played a classical or trad instrument with a similar tuning it's a breeze.

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
Or, you could try tuning some of the strings to fifths, rather than all of them.

I'm currently ADADGBE (although I've tuned all the strings down one whole step more). It's interesting to have the fourth - fifth - fourth interval of the three thickest strings.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I did the FCGDAE thing on a 6, if I was to apply the tuning to a 7 I'd go with the high G. Sure it's not pure fifth's but I wouldn't like to tune any higher really. It's a really good tuning to try out, it's really easy to pick up some scale and chord shapes and if you've ever played a classical or trad instrument with a similar tuning it's a breeze.
Of course one can do whatever they feel is right.
It's just I'm THAT much of a whore for symmetrical tunings.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
I'd prefer a tuning that could have an An F, Ab and still retain a high E on a 7, but I have no idea how it could be used for chords and stuff, I might just stick with standard.

')