Tuning and gauge idea - 7 string - is this low possible?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
hey everyone

so for first E.P we used Drop G# on 6 strings but as an open variant and tuned to 432hz instead

G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#

but since then we completed our lineup and will be writing for phase II/album 2 this year whilst gigging and we want to experiment around this tuning.
Some ideas consist of some songs with the low G# down to an F. Some others consist of tuning down the low D# to C# and using like Drop C# and ignoring the low G# for periods of the song etc.
And lastly for the huge brutal tracks, had this idea of having a low G# with an octave lower G# underneath it. so:-

G#, G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#,

now, is that LOW G#0 possible on an 7 string? (scale length will be minimum 26.5 to maximum 27inch)
We could play our first batch of songs the same ignoring that octave under lowest string and then use it for full chords and chugs when appropriate.

Are we talking like 90 - 105 gauge for that low G#0?

Im even thinking of grabbing a single Elixir 125 gauge bass string (ive heard they are all the same as guitar strings with Elixir?) And then grabbing my usual Elixir 6 string set
If I need something massive for Guitar?

Last edited:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Twice the size of what you'd use an octave higher - so lets say 140. The elixir 125 would be an absolute bare minimum (around the same tension as a 52 B), either will be totally unusable in my opinion. Also feels very clumsy and out of place on a guitar not built with compensated spacing specially for this. It's hard enough to make these tunings work on 30". Just grab an octave down pedal, it will sound way, way better - and has other applications :)

lewis

Reaction score
Twice the size of what you'd use an octave higher - so lets say 140. The elixir 125 would be an absolute bare minimum (around the same tension as a 52 B), either will be totally unusable in my opinion. Also feels very clumsy and out of place on a guitar not built with compensated spacing specially for this. It's hard enough to make these tunings work on 30". Just grab an octave down pedal, it will sound way, way better - and has other applications :)
yeah I could set up a AX8 patch that includes an octave down thing. Still when I was messing around recently and tuned the low G# down to an D# and have D#0 and D#1 together, chugs sounded absolutely unreal.

Maybe the sacrifice is that tuning on a 2nd guitar instead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Since the octave-down G# will only be occasionally used as an octave-down as part of chords it won't have to have great tone or playability, you could use a low tension string, i wouldn't attempt to keep it at a consistent tension as the thickness would cause too much stiffness. So yes seems doable.

Skip of Kalium has a 10 string 30" Agile tuned from G#0, it has great tone using a Kalium .150.
I wouldn't use a bass string as they have larger cores so are even more stiff.

I disagree an octave pedal will sound better, they have a very synthetic tone and will also octave down any other notes in the chord.
You could possibly keep that lowest string tuned at a higher more practical pitch for most of the time and drop it to a octave below when needed.

Also, i hope you don't believe the new age nonsense related to 432Hz =)

guitaardvark

Reaction score
Also, i hope you don't believe the new age nonsense related to 432Hz =)
:agreed: Adam Neely has an excellent video explaining why 432hz has no significant connection to the universe at large. If you like the way it sounds, more power to you though.

A .150 gauge with a 27" scale tuned to G#0 would get you about the same amount of tension as a .046 in standard on a 25.5" scale, which is already pretty floppy. Assuming your bridge could even support that, you would basically need to destroy the nut and swap out the tuner to get it to fit, and it would probably smack straight into the next string if you hit it with any kind of force since most 7 string necks aren't spaced with that kind of string in mind. The octave effect definitely sounds like the best option here. Might not sound the best sound, but definitely far more practical.

lewis

Reaction score
We tuned to 432hz for 2 reasons.

1) one of our vocalists has a really deep voice naturally and it appeared to lock in better with his vocal when recording - similar to why Pantera used a different pitch.

2) I a/b'd our riffs between 440hz and 432hz and they sounded heavier and more suited to the lower pitch.

But yeah i think the compromise is not go so low as G#0 and do D#0 instead then have 2 guitars with:

G# D# G# C# G# C# (primary tuning with the odd song tuning the low G# to an F)
&
D#0 D#1 G# C# G# C# for super brutal chugs and heavy songs.

The 2nd guitar i will get a 28inch Baritone or something

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
We tuned to 432hz for 2 reasons.
1) one of our vocalists has a really deep voice naturally and it appeared to lock in better with his vocal when recording - similar to why Pantera used a different pitch.

I always mention this to people when they tune their guitars badly and then say they "Pantera tuned" them. Pantera tuned in Hz rather than semitone lines and this gave them much of their distinct sound among other things.
I always urge people to experiment with Hz tuning, so many sounds and possibilities.