Tuning Idea

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just thought of this tuning last night, and was wondering if anyone's ever tried it...

C F Bflat Eflat G C F

Just C Standard with a high F on the top...use an eight or a nine gauge string for the high F and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work!
I know the 'extra high string' idea's been around for a while; didn't Wes Borland use unison C#s on the top of his seven? Of course, the infamous Maestro Alex Gregory apparently mananaged to make a High A seven string, but I doubt that's going to be practical on a normal guitar (his had some sort of special arrangement on the headstock to stop the high A being put under too much tension...I also heard he used a 6 gauge string on top!).
Anyone else thought about this concept?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've used that tuning (CFBbEbGCF), works nicely if you don't have extremely thick strings (i.e. works nice with a 60 or lower for me, but don't want to try with my 65).

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
if string tension/snapping is a problem, why not tune the other strings down and use a capo?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've used the capo idea before...for C or D tuning on a six string I often just slap a capo on my baritone guitar (tuned to B flat most of the time). The problem with that idea is that I've never found a capo that fits a seven, and you lose all the high notes...

chronicinsomnia

Reaction score
Most 12 string capo's fit a 7 string guitar. I have a Kyser version that is 1/2 an inch longer than the regular 6 string version. Works nicely on a 7.

Laren

Symphonic Black Metal!
Reaction score
my normal run of a mill capo fits on the 12th fret of my rg7260

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
my Kyser capo fits my RG7621 beautifully, as if it were made for it!

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
wes borland tuned his seven strings to C# F# B E G# C# C#...i personally love the tuning. yeah if you're gonna go with the high F, i'd get thicker strings than a 65.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe that Doctor J has his LTD 7 String tuned that way, don't think he had any problems.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
i have a samick seven string that i keep tuned standard plus high g (e. a. d g b e' g') using an .008" g.

this tuning facilitates some more piano-like voicing on the treble side of things, while leaving familiar ground everywhere else.

but if you want to tune down, i wouldn't expect any snappage tuning to f.

keep in mind that a steel guitar has a longer scale length and uses an .011" for a g#.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
well, yeah, you're really only tuning the high stirng a 1/2 step sharp, so a 9 or 10 would be fine.

Digital Black

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of having a high A. I'm going to have to find the lightest gauge of stings to try this though..

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I heard D'Addario still make a 0.007 gauge string that you can order. Not sure if that's true as I couldn't find any mention of it on the website.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I use a high F because I tune all fourths (BEADGCF), as does Gojira. A .009 at F feels similar to a .010 at E. Hope that helps!

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
However I drop that Tuning down a Half step to BEADF#BE like Ben Eller Did & it's actually the same tuning as a Baritone Renaissance Lute in E or like a Baritone Viol in E (basically a D Bass Viol tuned up a Step). This tuning allows me to play songs by Bands that tune to B Standard & w/ a Capo on the 7th Fret, my favorite one is "here comes the sun" by the beatles.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240123_133654_DuckDuckGo.jpg

')