Tuning problems/ truss rod help

• Thread starter Masadar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masadar

Reaction score
Hey ya'll heres my problem. A while ago i changed my strings from a normal gauge to a custom set of which i forget how big it is all i know is that my Low E string is a 70 and ive started to notice that everytime i pickup my guitar its outta tune ive heard that a simple truss rod adjustment can fix this problem..so what i wanna know is as dumb as this sounds....whichc way do i tturn the truss rod??? how much do i turn it? is there a guide i can read that will teach it all to me?

Id love some feedback THANKS!!!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
you have a .070" E STRING!!!

holy crap.

i don't know if your guitars truss rod can make up for that much tension...

Masadar

Reaction score
Well i've never adjusted it before in my life so id alteast like to try it before i give up on my giant low E i got big sausage fingers so to me it feels perfect when i play smaller strings it kinda feels like im clouding over the string.

JamesGregory

stereotypicalemgfan
Reaction score
That is a massive string!
I would say have a pro do it if you can, and do a proper set up, and sit behind them, and watch them do it, and learn how, Truss Rod's can be tricky, and typically you only give them a quarter turn at a time, if you crank on them, you can crack the neck, or warp it.

Masadar

Reaction score
I have a bass! but i like guitars more and there aint no way i can afford to have it professionaly setup BUT i dont wanna fuck up the neck either. So i guess i shall have to just let it sit for awhile until i get da coin.

Thanks anyway peeps!

HaGGuS

Banned
Reaction score
Google truss rod adjustment and watch a few vids.
I did my first ever truss rod adjustment last night. :yesway:
Its not hard.

As long as you make small adjustments, about a 1/4 turn and let it sit for a while to settle.
Do not go crazy and overtighten it. Baby steps dude.

Just watch a few vids, and have a go.

Masadar

Reaction score
So once i attempt this would i try a 1/4 turn then let it set and THEN tune it and let it sit more to see if it stays?? does that sound like an ok procedure?

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^YEP. let it set for a while.

but to give your little truss rod a chance, detune those strings a few steps whil you are doing this...

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i'm not sure that a truss adjustment would solve your problem.

if i were you, the first thing i'd check out is to make sure your monstrous low string is fully settled and with no slack around the tuning peg. give it a few tugs and then tune it up--lather, rinse, and repeat a few times.

truss rod adjustments aren't for tuning. truss adjustments are for the straightness of the neck to prevent fret buzz.

Masadar

Reaction score
Well i tune all the strings down a full step so im sure thats a little less tension.

and hey everyone FYI my truss rod is HUGE!

')