Tuning The 6er

• Thread starter moojimoo3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moojimoo3

moo7
Reaction score
GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! i need help i have a standard tuner that will tune EADGBE and i want CGCBFD (killswitch engage/system of a down sound and i cant actually remember the rite tuning you guys should know) and how am i gonna do it with a standard crap tuner???!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Does your tuner have a flat mode?

If not, tune to standard, then lower the low E so it matches the C on the 3rd fret of the A, and tune the rest of the guitar accordingly.

-D

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
moojimoo3 said:
GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! i need help i have a standard tuner that will tune EADGBE and i want CGCBFD (killswitch engage/system of a down sound and i cant actually remember the rite tuning you guys should know) and how am i gonna do it with a standard crap tuner???!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!

CGCBFD??

Are you sure about that? Shouldn't it be CGCFAD?

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
learn to do it by ear :)

i saw this guy use a technique that i hadn't seen before... on the 6th string, he hit a 5th fret harmonic, then hit a 5th string 7th fret harmonic (the same note), and tuned that way. just find something in E (Metallica's Enter Sandman is classic and easy to tune to), or in C for your case. you'll run into problems tuning the 2nd string with the 3rd, so what i do is hit a 7th fret harmonic on the 5th string and use that to tune the 2nd. it's not the same note, but solong as the 2nd string is close to where it's supposed to be, you'll figure it out.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
That technique ONLY works if your intonation is 100% accurate. Trust me. I used to do it that way, but it sucks ass if your intonation is off. Your chords will sound like shit.

The way I've found that tunes nicely (starting with one string) is tuning the strings using power chords up at the 12th fret. If those chords are in tune, the lower chords tend to be in tune as well. But that's just me. :cool:

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I tune to 5th/7th fret harmonics first, then compare with the standard 5th fret/open string notes, then the 12th fret harmonic/7th fret notes. Kinda even out the differences if there are any - if your intonation is PERFECT, there won't be any. After I usually hit a few chords and listen carefully.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The other thing that works is tuning by octaves-

Code:
|-----0------------------|
|------------------0---3-|
|---------0----2---------|
|---2----------------0---|
|-----------0----2-------|
|-0-----3----------------|

the idea is, as octaves sound the most "out" when they're slightly out of tune, checking them is probably the most effective way to get in-tune chording. ;)

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised though. Machine Head has a F'd up tuning. The lower 3 strings are drop B, but the thinner 3 strings aren't what they should be. I can't remember what they tune to... but it's odd.

EDIT: Just tried playing Ten Ton Hammer. It's BF#BFAD. Try playing anything 'other' than a MH tune in that tuning. LOL

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Regor said:
That technique ONLY works if your intonation is 100% accurate. Trust me. I used to do it that way, but it sucks ass if your intonation is off. Your chords will sound like shit.
i'm pretty anal about my intonation. i'd say it's 98%, or just a hair off of totally dead on. i just can't stand when it's outta wack. when the intonation is bad, then tunings get funky, notes sound bad, and you just lose power in your sound.

it's a downward spiral i tell ya :p

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya. I'm too afraid to buy a Peterson VS tuner. I'd be tuning my guitar for days. Weeks even.

But I've found a program I use for intonating my guitars. It's called G-Tune. It's a strobe tuner for your PC. Works really well!

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Doooo it. Do it. They're worth every cent \m/

Pun intended? :lol:

As for weird tunings, I was goofing around with some stuff today in A#FCFAD. It was really fun :D

And I have the tab here for Thornley's "So Far So Good" which is in BF#C#F#A#C#. Which is kinda what inspired the tuning I mentioned above.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I personally use the AP Tuner software.

Pet peeve: there is no way to have an 'electronic' or 'computerized' strobe tuner. Strobe tuners work on purely physical principles: a spinning disc and a strobe light.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
keithb said:

Pet peeve: there is no way to have an 'electronic' or 'computerized' strobe tuner. Strobe tuners work on purely physical principles: a spinning disc and a strobe light.

Sure there is. There's spinning bars on a screen that emulate the spinning lights.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
keithb said:

G-Tune has a strobe portion to it. Along with a spectrum analyzer and all sorts of other cool things.