Tuning to F

• Thread starter ubarhax
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ubarhax

Reaction score
Is it OK to do on a 7 string? More specifically an RG7321? I really want to play some Meshuggah songs. What's the best string gauge to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
Yeah it's doable. Just make sure your intonation is good. I'd say go down to about a low .80

My friend ordered a low 90 from Ernie Ball and kind of invented a string gauge as it wasnt up on thier site before and it is now. He hasnt gotten it yet though I think they are still winding it. :lol:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
[ACTION="ohio_eric]eagerly awaits Bob's presence[/ACTION]

You're likely to get a lot of opinions on this but I would use as thick as strings as the guitar would take. That being said I'm not sold that a 25.5" scale instrument is the best option for tuning down to F.

7Stringz

Reaction score
i use usual strings (56 from low) and it sounds ok... it's just wayyyy more monster like when the strings loose some tension so in my opinion it's cool this way. it dies when you tune down to E tho... my guitar tuning is FCFA*D*GC

greetings from germany

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score

You're likely to get a lot of opinions on this but I would use as thick as strings as the guitar would take. That being said I'm not sold that a 25.5" scale instrument is the best option for tuning down to F.

:lol: Fuckin' Eric. :D

25.5" works fine. In fact, I love it. Sure, I'd love to really put a 27" scale through its paces, as I think that's about optimal.

But does 25.5 work? You betcha. I use an Elixir .068, and I love it.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Yeah it's doable. Just make sure your intonation is good. I'd say go down to about a low .80

My friend ordered a low 90 from Ernie Ball and kind of invented a string gauge as it wasnt up on thier site before and it is now. He hasnt gotten it yet though I think they are still winding it. :lol:

Jesus those sound like monsters. Just wondering....I'm using a .60 for my B and it still barely fits thru the hole on the tuning key....now how in the hell would a .80 fit? just drill it out??:scratch:

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score

thats why i love having a 27.5 inch scale. such better tuning stability. :yesway:

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score

+1

You're strings are going to be super-slack unless you get some gargantuan strings, and even then you might have intonation issues/loose strings.

Although to be fair, getting that characteristic 'djent' sound actually comes from loose strings tuned low, so if that's what you're looking for, go for it.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Untrue, from 5+ years experience, mon frere.

I've had success at F with a .059 (although the Elixir .068 is the best). I've tried heavier, and haven't liked the tone as well. Plus, I have no issues with "instability" OR intonation. I still think 27" scale is probably damn near perfect for F, at least for me, but 25.5 works very well.

This is said not to be contrary, but just to shed some light on it from a guy with lots and lots of experience with the whole shebang. :mods:

Heavy Ed

singlecoil goodness
Reaction score
I had a hard time tuning my M207 to A. The .066 gauge string barely fit the hole on the tuning peg, good luck with an .080 or .090!

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score

I've had success at F with a .059 (although the Elixir .068 is the best). I've tried heavier, and haven't liked the tone as well. Plus, I have no issues with "instability" OR intonation. I still think 27" scale is probably damn near perfect for F, at least for me, but 25.5 works very well.

This is said not to be contrary, but just to shed some light on it from a guy with lots and lots of experience with the whole shebang. :mods:

That's why I waited for you to show up snookums. :wub:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
You know me only too well. ;)

I do tune to A standard, occasionally, and while it's nice, I honestly just really, really prefer drop F, from a tonal, playing, and feel perspective. :shrug: It can and does work, but I am playing through very nice equipment, and I'm sure that's a factor.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I for F# tuning use 0.75 and for the rest a 0.13. The 0.75 enter on the tunin peg.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've gone as low as E with the same guages Bob uses, and while it's perfectly playable, the feel's just looser than I prefer.

The overexaggerated vibrato on single-note riffs, however, IS pretty damned cool. :D

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score

Yeah, but not everyone likes spaghetti strings :fawk:

:hug: I'm sure you know what you're talking about, I'm just in a dickish mood today, sorry :lol: Let me rephrase what I said: You can get it to work fine, but if you like tight strings, you'll have to get a gargantuan string gauge.

I tuned my .59 to F# for that Orchestral song a while back, and while I didn't bother checking intonation since I was only using the low open-string F#, but it was waaay too lose for me. When a string is this loose, it has the nasty habit of pitch going up and then gradually falling down to correct pitch over the period of several seconds. I'm really curious Bob, have you managed to overcome this somehow, or do you just deal with it? :scratch: I could use some advice since I plan on experimenting with such tunings later on.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Nik.

I get ya. I think for me, it's a couple of things. *Wise old fucker mode*

1. I find Elixir Nanowebs to be about the most firm, tight, and articulate strings out there. Really. They give a smoothness to feel, but hold tuning and articulate individual notes better than any string I've ever played. There's lots of crispness, and tons of initial attack, without sounding 'cold' or sterile. I think those matter a lot, to avoid issues like intonation, muddiness, or "warbling' like you mentioned.

2. Part of it is technique, I suppose. I've learned the feel of the strings, and how to attack them. But in all honestly, an Elixir .068, at F, is remarkably strong, firm, and stable. Doesn't feel loose or 'spaghetti'-like at all. I wish I could let you play my 2027 and see for yourself. For years, I was actually always like, "Should I be tuning so low? Everyone says it shouldn't work with this setup." And yet, every time I played my guitar, it sounded and felt terrific.

I think it has to be experienced to really get it. I actually prefer the feel and sound of my guitar tuned to F, as opposed to A (whereas, I like my backup Squier 7, which uses different strings, tuned to A).

Reactions: Nik

ubarhax

Reaction score
Thanks guys..

and what is djent? I know it has to do with Bulb.

')