Tuning to F

• Thread starter ubarhax
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
^ :lol:

It's that Meshuggah-like, palm-muted sound you get with strong attack and octave notes/power chords, particularly with low-tuned guitars, not-so thick strings, and real clear pickups/distortion. Less thuddy and bassy than traditional mutes, with an emphasis on clear-note articulation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you want your guitar to sound anything like a guitar and not a boomy distorted bass, don't use a .090. A .068 like Bob recommends is fine IMO. I briefly dabbled with .068 in F# and it intonated and sounded good. I personally wouldn't want to go much thicker than that, from a feel standpoint it would be good but the tone just gets too mellow and round if you start using bass strings.

PS: As for 'djents' I find you just get it by palm muting with your palm closer to the neck than normal, getting a sort of scrappy-attack. Personally I can't stand that stuff, but I'm the minority here in Meshuggah Land :)

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I'll definitely look into some Elixirs!

2. Part of it is technique, I suppose. I've learned the feel of the strings, and how to attack them. But in all honestly, an Elixir .068, at F, is remarkably strong, firm, and stable. Doesn't feel loose or 'spaghetti'-like at all. I wish I could let you play my 2027 and see for yourself. For years, I was actually always like, "Should I be tuning so low? Everyone says it shouldn't work with this setup." And yet, every time I played my guitar, it sounded and felt terrific.

Ha, that might explain it. I'm an extremely heavy picker, and I think that forcefull attack might be my issue. I need to start picking lighter (although when I start getting into a song, I can't help it lol).

And I always thought djent was a sound achieved without palm-muting :scratch: Basically, when you tune really low, and smack single notes without palm-muting, you get this very distinct sound... like most meshuggah, or "Jaws of Life" by John Petrucci, right after the part where the drums first kick in.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I'll definitely look into some Elixirs!

Ha, that might explain it. I'm an extremely heavy picker, and I think that forcefull attack might be my issue. I need to start picking lighter (although when I start getting into a song, I can't help it lol).

And I always thought djent was a sound achieved without palm-muting :scratch: Basically, when you tune really low, and smack single notes without palm-muting, you get this very distinct sound... like most meshuggah, or "Jaws of Life" by John Petrucci, right after the part where the drums first kick in.

Bulb calls for muting. :shrug: I find I can get it either way, I always think of it as that real strong, clear, octavey sound, almost like a pinch harmonic, but not quite. Kind of sharp edge of pick. Like you say, smacking those notes. I like to bend them a little, too. It's almost more like "Djoohn-jent! Da-joooh-jent!"

My pleasure, BTW. :wavey:

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
TDW, when you buy your Exlixer .068, do you buy it single? And does it come in a pack of 3 or just one? I cant justify ~$6 for one string (juststrings.com)

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
TDW, when you buy your Exlixer .068, do you buy it single? And does it come in a pack of 3 or just one? I cant justify ~$6 for one string (juststrings.com)

I buy the Elixir baritone guitar string packs (.12-.68) and then add a 0.09 high string of any kind because the elixir ones that thin are just plain steel anyway.
I'm with the Dark Wolf (Bob?) on this one totally. Elixir guitar strings kick a LOT of ass. I swear by these freakin things and will never play another brand again.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
F? You guys are crazy! But thats good.. A#, thats as low as I go, I'm scared..

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Low E on my baritone 7. Love it!!!!

The 10, well that's another story...

Demeyes

Reaction score
I've been tuning my low string down to F# and G every now and then. I like the sound of it but it'd feel beter if I used a thicker string and intonated it!

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not just get a bass? :scratch:
See the appended quote from ken
Uh oh. Don't provoke the ERG guys ;p
:lol:

But in all seriousness, It plays (and sounds) different, due to the scale and string choices, as well as the pickups and hardware used. Not many basses made with toms or floyds (Or ZR's for that matter :drool:). Actually, the whole 24 fret s neck, 2 fret extension is exactly what im getting for my 7320. Im going more traditional on shape, but with a wild compound radius, and some scallops. 28.625 inches of glory

It just plays so differently.
I do alot of messing around in EBADGBe
so basically tune the 6th string down to mirror the low B, and then tune the 7th string like an 8 string in drop E from F#. I picked up the 6 string tuning from tool, and appended the E. its really fun to right in. Wierd as hell, but tons of fun

Latest posts

')