TV show recommendations

• Thread starter eddygdk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eddygdk

Reaction score
i just finished catching up with Game of Thrones and i still have some extra time on my hands. can you guys recommend some badass shows? what have you guys been watching?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Vikings or Spartacus (any of them from what I've heard)

naw38

Reaction score
True Detective. Banshee.

I watch at least one episode of Breaking Bad a week. My wife won't stop talking about The Americans, apparently it's good.

LudoCluedo

Reaction score
Currently "Fringe" and "Person of interest" are taking up most of my evenings. They're the kind of series you can't just watch one episode of...
Heard a lot of good things about "House of cards" too.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
Besides True Detective try The americans. It started a new season in February and it seems to maintain the quality of the 1st season.

wankerness

Reaction score
Now that true detective's over and I gave up on the perennially awful Walking Dead, the only shows I'm currently watching are Banshee (glorious trash, best fight scenes around on either TV or in movies, plot is pretty terrible but man is it entertaining if you don't mind tons of gratuitous nudity and violence) and Hannibal (second season seems even better than the first, which was like some kind of lowbrow super-gory serial killer fantasy show with artistic pretensions and beautiful cinematography).

SKoG

Reaction score
Seconding True Detective and giving Vikings a try. I'm not familiar with some of the other shows, but I'll be checking them out also.

True Detective is some of the best 8 hours of TV I've ever seen, good police drama that plays more like a long movie than a TV show and the character development aspect and acting is incredible.

Vikings is pretty interesting. It's a History Channel drama that is similar in tone to a 'Premium Channel (HBO, Starz, etc) series' but without the language and frontal nudity, since it's on basic cable. The acting isn't super, but it's hard to tell if it's really the acting or the actors trying to portray Vikings.

Skyblue

Reaction score
The Killing, if you haven't seen it yet. Absolutely amazing.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
I agree, The Killing is very good. Also, if you Yanks can find it online, try Line of Duty. It's a great show here in the UK. Also the Inbetweeners (UK version) <- I hate how I have to say that now. It's a very funny comedy series. Far better than any trash on US TV ;) Also Peep show.

wankerness

Reaction score
The original Danish version of the killing is good, I'm not sure if the above two posters are referring to that or the american remake.

Be aware that the first two seasons of the american one are incredibly widely hated for compounding idiotic plot twists well beyond the point of being able to care about them. The lead actors are fantastic and thus I liked the first season despite the stupid plot, but the second season was just TOO stupid.

I picked it up again in the third season, where it started a new case and wasn't full of moronic plot twists. The third season is really great, and I think the final one that's upcoming on netflix has high potential too. They really learned from their mistakes, unfortunately too late for much of anyone to find out. I'd highly recommend watching the first bit of the first season to see if you like the characters. If you hate the plot too much, try skipping to season 3 (there's very little stuff you need to know from the previous seasons beyond who the main characters are) and giving it another chance. The third season is GREAT but I could barely get anyone I knew to watch it cause they'd been burned so badly by the terrible plotting in the last few eps of season 1 and all of season 2.

eddygdk

Reaction score
thanks for the recommendations guys, I started watching True Detective and i cant stop watching

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
In my opinion, Six Feet Under is the greatest drama TV show ever made. It has the BEST finale of any show I have ever watched...& I watch a lot!

Otherwise:
Big Love
Twin Peaks
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Deadwood

That should sort you for a while

wankerness

Reaction score
I sorta liked the first season of six feet under but then basically hated it until about the last 5 episodes. I agree the finale is amazing, but so much of the middle is so awful that I could never recommend it to anyone in good conscience. Lauren Ambrose's has to be in my top 5 most hated characters of all time, every plotline with her was pure pain. I also couldn't deal with Nate's smug asshole air, especially during the entire Lily Collins plotline. I sorta liked the mom sometimes though the Dwight Schrute subplot was maybe a bit much, and I did like Brenda, and David was OK most of the time, but yeah...that show was hard to take. Maybe if I hadn't binge-watched 5 episodes a day I'd have been able to deal with the characters more. :D

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Supernatural, especially the first 5 seasons. It has one of the most badass soundtracks I've heard in a TV show.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I really like Hannibal. The acting is fantastic although the subject matter is quite disturbing so I can see why it's not more popular

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
The first season of The Following is awesome...plus it stars Kevin Bacon.

Who doesn't like bacon?

wankerness

Reaction score
I really like Hannibal. The acting is fantastic although the subject matter is quite disturbing so I can see why it's not more popular

I think it's too good and artistic to be popular, the hideous gore certainly didn't stop various terrible CSI shows from being mega-popular. Though I must say as someone who watches a ton of splatter movies that the part where the guy rips himself out of the stitched human sculpture in the silo this season made me cringe more than just about anything I've ever seen.

')