Two New Opeth Songs!

• Thread starter intereo_luuk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Celiak

Reaction score
Those songs are really cool, the breakdown or whatever you call it in the second one is incredible. Holy damn the drums are great too. The first song is awesome, it reminds me of damnation.

Drage

Reaction score
2 min in on PH, already loving it, Im so fucking excited for Watershed and Prog Nation.

Drage

Reaction score
Wow, incredible!!!!

Kinda funny how they leaked on Mikael's Birthday, hehe.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
the random jazzy bit in the lotus eater was cool :D
opeth for the win :hbang:

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good, need a few more listens I think though, didn't initially hit me for six.

TLE intro...that's like the first true Opeth blast-beat?

arnoroth661

Tremol-no User
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have to say, from listening to the entire opeth discography except Orchid, these two songs are prime examples of the new sounds brought to the table by the new members. It seemed like they were completely devoid of keyboard work... Mikael seemed to be using a higher range of his clean voice (even falsetto at some points) and his dirty voice seemed like it was rushed in my opinion. :2c:

The only thing that really confused me... Who is behind the solo work at 5:40 in the Lotus Eater? I swear that doesn't strike me as Mikael's style so it may be newguyAkesson.. :scratch:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have to say, from listening to the entire opeth discography except Orchid, these two songs are prime examples of the new sounds brought to the table by the new members

I wouldn't say so. Mikael is still the primary song writer. He's responsible for 95% of what's on the albums, give or take. :D

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
... Yea you've got a point. But the music is certainly faster and darker, yes? :lol:

Of course :D! But he's been saying that in interviews a lot lately.
Their last album wasn't happy, but it had some light to it (Mikael said so himself) but this album seems to be more of a compensation for that if you will. So it's fine by me. Not to say ANYTHING against Ghost Reveries, it was one of their best (it's my second favorite, behind Blackwater Park).

After losing their studio drummer (who was replaced by the drummer that played with them live for years, so it's not that big of a deal IMO) and after losing peter, I can't say I blame him for writing something darker. Losing band members sucks. (hell, I write my best when shit happens like that :lol:)

The June release date can't come fast enough....

Coryd

Reaction score
Can't wait for this album!!!!

These songs are great!!!!

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
[action=Mr. S] cant wait to get back from work so he can listen to this[/action]

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
After losing their studio drummer (who was replaced by the drummer that played with them live for years, so it's not that big of a deal IMO) and after losing peter, I can't say I blame him for writing something darker. Losing band members sucks. (hell, I write my best when shit happens like that :lol:)

The June release date can't come fast enough....

I think that Lopez was far more than a 'studio drummer', he was a hugely influential member of Opeth for years, Mikael acknowledged just how much he brought to Opeth, he was given a lot of freedom over the drums, when he left he was briefly replaced by Gene Holgan , then Axenrot stepped up...I don't mind Axenrot though! he is tailored perfectly for these new songs :metal: but he lacks the cultural influences and feel Lopez had which shined on Damnation etc.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i've been told that these two songs blend MAYH and Ghost reveries. Ghost reveries isn't really up there for me concerning opeth, although i have no beef with them changing it up on an album.

But i like the older, heavier opeth. and it sounds like this will be more of that. so June will be a good month :)

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Just listening to the CD/Studio quality versions of the two songs posted, dig them much more with the better quality versions now! :hbang:

EDIT::: They actually put a fucking cheesy clavinet breakdown in The Lotus Eater!? FUCK YES! that sounds awesome!

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
you can tell that they have a new drummer, the style is completely different.. i preferred lopez's style.. he was more subtle... in the first one the drums seem a bit erratic compared to lopez's style..

')