UAFX Anti 1992 high gain amp pedal

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Well Mark Johnston somehow managed to get some damn good clean tones out of a 5150, courtesy of the app's different options (bright switch, bias control, etc.) Kinda cool.

I really want to like this and throw together a super compact grab and go board with it (I'm addicted to building pedalboards please help), but UAFX's customer service means I probably won't pick it up. Damn shame because it sounds pretty good.

Last edited:

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
430€ - I don't know but I don't see myself that much of a 5150 fan to justify the price.

Noooowwww, if they ever decided to make a PERFECT saggy Dual Rectifier pedal.

JBM100

Reaction score
No MIDI, no custom IR's, clunky control (i.e. Mobile with Bluetooth), additional AD/DA and added latency in the signal chain for $400.

I really don't get these UAFX things. It's "just" code running on a chip, so technically UA could incorporate all of these units into a more powerful one. Of course they can milk out much more $$ that way.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I'm just fundamentally skeptical of a pedal that needs an android/iphone app to access all of its functionality. Is that really going to be maintained and ported to new devices for more than a couple years?
That’s a big negative, Ghost Rider! 😂

In all seriousness, I’m skeptical about most digital platforms maintaining support over 5 years after they come to market.

Sad to say, the analog amps still work, but even servicing technicians are a dying breed.

Maintaining your own library of IRs may be the way to go in the future. Limit so many proprietary programs to execute a similar task. Just my .02.

zamboknee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd wait for the UAX modeler, which does ALL there pedals, to come out by NAMM.
'Cause you KNOW it's coming!

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
group_chat_rules_2x.png

Bearitone

Reaction score
There’s something about stand-alone digital preamps that just kinda bothers me. It’s like
“ah so there’s all this bitchin hardware and capability in here but, I’m trapped in a cage of one sound/model?”

If I’m going to be locked into to one preamp/model, it’s going to analog. Lots of good analog 5150 style preamps with Amptweaker and AMT being at the tippy top of my list. Leaders of the pack to this day imo.

Bearitone

Reaction score
430€ - I don't know but I don't see myself that much of a 5150 fan to justify the price.

Noooowwww, if they ever decided to make a PERFECT saggy Dual Rectifier pedal.
AMT R2 and upcoming R3.
Or the Driftwood Heavy Hatchet.

I only have real experience with the R2 but it’s great

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I understand the desire to build a compact board that is capable of giving any tone you could desire, but single preamp pedals like this just don't make me want to run out and spend my money. Stuff like the HXstomp, tonex, or even the Kemper player just overshadow this for the sheer fact that they have flexibility and still sound (as) good.

Voodoo Marshall

Reaction score
I think it sounds kind of buzzy/shitty from the demos (plus the UA guy playing one of the demos is pretty lame at metal riffs imo). Plus, there are other "amp" pedals that are more versatile and cheaper. And for another $100, I'd be inclined to go w/ the Friedman IR-X.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We went from paying $500 US for a 5150 120W tube head to a bunch of jerks asking us to pay more than that for a digital recreation.

We used to be a real country .....

Latest posts

')