[UK] Custom built 7-string fan-fret multi-scale guitar

• Thread starter Serratus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Serratus

Reaction score
Brief & Accurate Description of gear/guitar:
Custom built 7-string fan-fret multi-scale guitar, built by me in 2011 (I used to be in business customising guitars but now I just build for myself and then sell one every now and again to provide funds for the next build!).

Specs:
One piece rosewood neck, maple inlays, 25.5” to 28” fan fret
Korina body with maple front
Custom neck joint
Superstrat body shape
Custom stainless steel bridge
Volume and tone controls
Bareknuckle custom pickup, wound to Aftermath specs

The neck is one piece solid rosewood, which feels amazing. Truss rod is fitted from the rear, and adjusted from the body end of the neck. The fan is 25.5” scale on the treble side and 28” scale on the bass side, it has jumbo frets and flame maple fret markers. The tuners are chrome Wilkinson and the headstock has a thick zebrano veneer on the front. The whole neck is oiled. The neck joint is my own design – the neck slots into a cavity in the body routed into the wood at the rear but under the maple front, and is then bolted on as normal. This means there is no block of the body under the end of the neck to get in the way of your left hand – super comfortable. However, the neck itself is a pretty chunky D shape in section, so maybe not for someone who likes really skinny necks!
The body is made from korina, with a book-matched lightly flamed maple front, and is also oiled like the neck, making for a very tactile playing experience. I love korina as a body wood – its kind of similar to mahogany but sweeter sounding, in my opinion.
The bridge I built myself from stainless steel using wilkinson style saddles; it's recessed into the front of the guitar, with through-body stringing. It has one volume and one tone control with chrome knobs, and an Ibanez Jem-style angled jack socket. The pickup was custom wound for me by Bareknuckle. I wanted the angle of the pickup coils to match the fan and so I made my own brass baseplate for the pickup and then sent it to them to be wound, assembled and potted, etc. I asked them to make it as close to the sound of a bareknuckle Aftermath pickup, and it sounds awesome!
Currently setup in standard B-E tuning, it does sound lovely – the whole guitar has a great resonance to it, and it's easily the most consistent sounding instrument across all the strings that I've ever owned. And that bottom B string is really nice and tight – much better than a 7-string with a standard scale length. I also put a custom set of strings on it, which I calculated using string tension charts so it has a consistently increasing tension across the strings. So its currently got 9, 12, 16, 24, 34, 46, 62 for the string gauges, which I think also helps with the consistent tone across the strings.
If anyone lives reasonably close to me and wants to come and try it out before buying then you're quite welcome :) If you want any more info or pictures just send me a message.

Modifications: None
Accessories: Comes in a used but solid hardcase.
International OK?: Not at the moment
Contact Info: PM through this forum
References: *richf* on eBay
Price: £799 uk pounds sterling obo
Pictures:
Fanfret1.jpg

Fanfret2.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Latest posts

')