UK - Customised Mesa Boogie Mark IV with matching 1x12

Herb Dorklift

Reaction score
Brief & Accurate Description of gear/guitar: 2008 Mesa Boogie Mark IV head and matching oversized cab by MJW amps.

Modifications (if any): Used to be a combo, was made into head/cab by MJW amps. I took the reverb out. Fan replaced.

Accessories (hardshell case etc): Footswitch

Location (City,State or City,Country): York, UK

Contact Info (No Phone #s): milo.mitchinson(at)googlemail.com or PM here

References (eBay or other forum userid): Deals on here, eBay ID asm_champ, Herbie the Rad Dorklift on Music Radar, JP forums etc.

Price (include currency and if firm/obo): £1350 collected

Pictures:
Below

This is a 2008 model, I've had since new.

As you can see, it's been modified. The work was done by Martin Whelan of MJW amps in the UK. I had the reverb taken out as I did not use it.

The fan was also replaced.

Aside from the reverb and the fan, no other mods were done to the amp itself, just it's shell.

I changed out most of the valves. V1 is a Tesla (If I recall), the rest of the preamp are Mesa and the power valves are Svetlana =C= EL34s and 6L6s.

The cab is an oversized 1x12, semi open with the Celestion C90 from the combo.

Condition is very good, very few minor nicks in the tolex, hardly noticeable at all.

More pics to follow (upto date, with pictures of any nicks)

4609.jpg

4503.jpg

4501.jpg

Incredible cleans, ranging from Fender-y glassy (This is a hotrodded Fender afterall) to crunch break up (And what a crunch!), channel 2 does tweed-style cleans through to Rolling Stones type stuff, to classic rock, and the Lead channel does dirty cleans (with rolled back guitar volume) through to classic rock, through to balls to the wall metal.

It appears to be complicated, but it really isn't. Each channel has a gain control, which you can Pull for Bright (1), or Fat (2 & Lead), treble and bass are shared on 1, otherwise each channel is totally independent, there's individual channel masters and presence controls, then the overall master.

It's a VERY articulate amp. It WILL show your mistakes.

The Graphic EQ is superb, the best I have ever used, especially for a 5 band. It's a very powerful control which you will find yourself using more than the knob EQ.

The amp is rated 90w, but is switchable down to various lower wattages using the Tweed/Variac power, Triode/Pentode controls and Class A (outer valves working only) or Simul class (All 4 working).

Also on the back:

Switches for the lead channel (Mid gain boost, or harmonic mode).
It has a direct out for recording, as well a silent function (Pull the master volume knob) so you can really crank it and use your computer volume.
The other "outs" are for Channel 1, 2, Lead, EQ, Class A/Simul, which are all footswitchable and MIDI switchable (You need a MIDI switcher for this though).

There's also loads of other bits I haven't dabbled in like stereo FX loop, satellite powering (Powers another Mark IV or something...it's in the manual) etc etc

The included footswitch is Channel 1, Channel 2, Lead, Lead&EQ, EQ and FX Loop.

As far as boosting this amp for solos goes, I found there was 3 ways:
1. Boosting the EQ then hitting the EQ button for a solo hump.
2. If using the lead channel, dial in the "Classic V" on the EQ and using Lead&EQ for your rhythm then turn off the EQ for your solo.
3. (Best way IMO) I had a delay and Boss EQ in the loop, tucked away behind the amp. When it was time for a solo I hit the FX button. Super boost!

Here is the PDF for the manual, which I will also include: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf[/URL]

Anyways,This is the best amp I have ever played, I just play bass in a band now, professionally, so could use my funds elsewhere.

£1350 firm, collected from York only.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.