Underrated Bands/Musicians

• Thread starter CALLmeSANCHEZ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nails In Your Coffin

Reaction score
Given I'm a HUGE Metal fan, some of these choices may surprise some of you...

Prince
John Mayer
Devin Townsend
Jake E. Lee
Jennifer Batten
Howie Simon
Reb Beach
Bruce Kulick
John Corabi
Jerry Cantrell
Sebastian Bach
Craig Goldy
David Pritchard
Jeff Hanneman
Mick Mars
Chris Holmes
Denis "Piggy" D'Amour
Jeff Waters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Terminally, Your Aborted Ghost

A Brutal Death Metal/Mathcore hybrid. Shame they split.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
man there are a lot of pretty big bands mentioned here, at least for the underground. not to say they aren't good bands, just... Arsis? Underrated? They're one of the biggest American melodeath bands, second only to BDM.
Anyway, here's a few of my favorite hidden gems:
Lo-Ruhamah
Negura Bunget
Comatose Vigil
Grief
Rodan
The For Carnation
you.may.die.in.the.desert
Brotha Lynch Hung
Eyedea & Abilities

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Teela and Queensryche. Tesla also was just 80s hard rock but their debut album and a handful of their other stuff owned.
As for Queensryche, before HITNF and Q2K and the likes they were an amazing band and were at the forefront of prog and power metal and while they were very successful in the early 90s you don't see them talked about much..

Also, Crimson Glory. Their first two albums were amazing and they were also at the forefront of prog and power and they had lots of great stuff but they never really became anywhere nearly as popular as QR and they're also not talked about often and underrated.

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
man there are a lot of pretty big bands mentioned here, at least for the underground. not to say they aren't good bands, just... Arsis? Underrated? They're one of the biggest American melodeath bands, second only to BDM.
Anyway, here's a few of my favorite hidden gems:
Lo-Ruhamah
Negura Bunget
Comatose Vigil
Grief
Rodan
The For Carnation
you.may.die.in.the.desert
Brotha Lynch Hung
Eyedea & Abilities

I haven't met hardly anyone other than on the internet who knew who Arsis was.. other than people who I showed them to. Maybe they're not really "underground"; but the thread was underrated bands, not underground bands.. IMO they don't get the attention they deserve. Also, BDM is HUGE compared to Arsis. Everyone I know who listens to extreme music, whether it's death metal or metalcore and the like, knows who BDM is for the most part.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Melodic DM band of SSO'er Nova Reaper, Haagenti
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/haagenti666/afterglow[/SC]

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
I haven't met hardly anyone other than on the internet who knew who Arsis was.. other than people who I showed them to. Maybe they're not really "underground"; but the thread was underrated bands, not underground bands.. IMO they don't get the attention they deserve. Also, BDM is HUGE compared to Arsis. Everyone I know who listens to extreme music, whether it's death metal or metalcore and the like, knows who BDM is for the most part.

every band in this thread is underground, its just a matter of degree; when I say underground I just mean they're not on a major label. Arsis has been nationally touring since 2006, including several headlining tours. They're signed to one of the biggest independent labels around, and their debut landed in Decibel's top albums of the decade list.
And yeah BDM owes a lot of their popularity to their crossover appeal, thats not really the point though. If the situation was reversed (Arsis was hardcore kids playing metal and BDM was tech metal) of course Arsis would be the more popular. My only reason for bringing up BDM was as comparison, since Arsis is like the Overkill to BDM's Slayer - not quite as well known, but still pretty widely respected.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I haven't met hardly anyone other than on the internet who knew who Arsis was.. other than people who I showed them to.

:scratch:

The band is on Nuclear Blast records. They're literally on one of the biggest most famous labels in extreme metal.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
My list:

Nidingr. Brainchild of Teloch, who has been also playing guitar for Mayhem since 2011. Incredible stuff.

Avichi. One man project of Andrew Markuszewski (aka Aamonael) who used to be in Nachtmystium, and is a current member of Lord Mantis.

Ghoul. Horror-thrash is the best way I can explain them. Gore obsessed, Grave robbing, half-pipe thrashing, skull crushing metal.

Ancient Blood. Melodic Black Metal from Mexico. Take Emperor, Cradle of Filth, and Dimmu Borgir and throw them in a blender. That's about what you get here. It's great.

Radkey. Much, much different than the posts above. A punk trio reminiscent of early Misfits, without the same lyrical content and themes.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Forgot one...dunno how. These guys are excellent.

Carach Angren. 3 piece, thrashy, symphonic, somewhat proggy, 7 stringed black metal. Tons of musical talent here. I think even people that are not typically fans of black metal will love them.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I wanted to add an underrated CD to the list.

I feel that God Forbid's Iv: Constitution of Treason is overlooked because of the metalcoreness of God Forbid. Its one of the few CDs I have listened to that I feel like is a complete masterpiece.

Just my opinion of course :p

The Analyst

Reaction score
Unexpect. Insanely talented band; especially their bassist. Very original, not too many bands sound like them. They have been around for a while, so I'm sure many of you already know about them.

Persefone. Some good melodic death metal. Very good guitarists, too.

Ne Obliviscaris.

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
For the guys who mentioned Lykathea Aflame, good on you. I really wish they would release another album. I feel fulfilled every time I listen to Elvenefris.

I would also like to hear more from SunLess Rise. This is from a 4-track promo they released in 2009.

')