Underrated drummers?

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I searched for a thread to find nothing. And I figured, hey, the drumming section should have one of these. Anyways, it's basically the same as the title states. Who do you think are some of the most underrated drummers in today's music scene?

Kevin Lane - Whitechapel
Josh Kulick - Ex-TTEOTD
Dan Wilding - Aborted
Shannon Lucas - TBDM
Shawn Cameron - Carnifex
Ben Gordon - Parkway Drive
Dan - After the Burial

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

Not really underrated but nobody seams to know who he is;

Bobby Jarzombek!

Lee

Above
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow. If I were around him and saw those drums behind him, I'd have have to really fight the urge to screw with him :lol:

On topic: Mike Park Nielsen. I can't even find any videos of just him, but my best example is this. I just love how he uses the double bass to accentuate, and not overpower everything else.

angus

Reaction score
Not really underrated but nobody seams to know who he is;
Bobby Jarzombek!

That's because the main band where he gets to play like this is absolutely horrible imo- Spastik Ink. They've mostly got a following in Japan. His brother Ron plays guitar, and both are just insane players, but the music is just impossible to listen to. I'd actually rather listen to just the drum tracks than listen to the actual songs. He definitely honed his super crisp playing in SI, but the music, while very very busy and complicated, is just not great music. Just imo. I'd kill to jam with him though!!!

But he's played in other good acts- Iced Earth, Riot, and a couple others. I think he played with Sebastien Bach and Rob Halford on thier solo stuff, too. He's an ace stand in.

Another +1 for Carter Beauford. The guy is a class act. His groove is Chambers-like solid, but isn't so in your face.

Though I wouldn't really say he's underrated because he's had a lot of exposure and gotten lots of cred, I always have to mention Mudvayne's drummer- also super crisp, and really keen sense of dynamics and cymbal work.

For a random, pick I'd have to say Scott Ellis. I don't know where he is now, but he used to be in Warface. It's a totally different style to the ones previously mentioned, and he has good chops and great timing, but I mention it because his drumming brutally drove the songs forward and gave them some direction that they would've otherwise lacked. I don't know why, but live his drumming gave me chills.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not in to far in the drum world, but Inferno from Behemoth amazes me. I don't know how highly he is regarded.

I've always really like Jimmy Chamberlin's playing out side of the Smashing Pumpkins. The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex was great.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Inferno is almost at the top of the list in popularity. Although, he is a fucking beast.

Anyways, here's some vids.

Dan Wilding playing TBDM's "A Vulgar Picture"

Kevin Lane - Prostatic Fluid Asphyxiation

Josh Kulick - To The Ruins

Shawn Cameron

Reaction score
Richard Christy. Ex Death, Iced Earth. I seen him on that stupid Talking Metal show on Fuse. That show has to be the biggest joke. They don't know anything about metal. Anyway, they do a jam at the end of the show, every show. This one was with Richard Christy on drums, and the guy from Twisted Sister on guitar. Now, Who is more metal? Twisted Sister, or DEATH the godfathers of death metal? Well, after the jam they were raving about the guy in Twisted Sister and about all they said about Richard was "oh, the guy from the Howard Stern show was pretty good too" like they didn't even know he was in Death or Iced Earth. He is VERY underrated. Wish he played with a band again though.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Why the hell isnt Neil Peart getting more love on this site? That's what I want to know!

Dennis Chambers (best work is with CAB imo) and Virgil Donati (best with Steve Vai on his live at the Astoria dvd, or with Tribal Tech) are monsters at the kit too.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
If you regard Neil Peart as underrated, you should be forked to death.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on Bobby Jarzombek & Richard Christy. Amazing players.

Another guy to check out is Shannon Larkin. He well-known for his drumming in Godsmack now. But, check out his drumming in his previous bands, Wrathchild America & later on, Souls At Zero. Incredible.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Kevin Lane - Whitechapel

:hbang: He fucking PWNS in the new album.

Even after listening to the cd non-stop for half a week he STILL throws me off with his fills and shit.
I honestly idolize him at the moment.

PS - His custom Phattie drums are just ill :yesway:

Oh and Leche [ex- As Blood Runs Black, ex fill-in for TTEOTD, current Fallen Figure Manager] is also pretty damn good. I can't wait to see what the future holds for him. His departure from ABRB was... unfair to him.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Kevin's Phattie

l_54af21f2f4b181932926bdc244cc591a.jpg

angus

Reaction score
Why the hell isnt Neil Peart getting more love on this site? That's what I want to know!

Dennis Chambers (best work is with CAB imo) and Virgil Donati (best with Steve Vai on his live at the Astoria dvd, or with Tribal Tech) are monsters at the kit too.

The reason why guys like that haven't been mentioned is because they aren't underrated- everybody knows they're freaking great.

Dennis Chambers will always take it for me. Immensely, immensely tight, very tasteful, great sense of dynamics, and that feel...just insane. That guy could hold a herd of kittens in a tight groove, man.

Latest posts

')