Unique 6 string tunings

• Thread starter MGasparotto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
I've set up my 6 string Kinda weird for the stuff I've been playing/making AADGBE I still like to play stuff by other bands a lot so I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of bands that use tunings like this. I know periphery, mastodon, architects, black label society,karnivool and the safety fire use tunings similar to this. Tunings where the E is dropped much lower than the rest of the guitar. Preferable bands/songs that are popular enough to have tabs I could go by.

AADGBE
AGCFAD
BEAGBE

And the likes.

Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buddha92

Hole in the Earth
Reaction score
big empty by stone temple pilots, they do a lot of odd tunings. metalocalypse and devin townsend does open c tuning.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I know you asked for bands' tunings, but I used this in college a lot to write some weird material: C-G-Eb-G-C-Eb.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
King Crimson, albums after 1985 : CGDAEG. It's in fifth from C to E then a major third G on top. It's based on cello tuning (CGDA)

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
big empty by stone temple pilots, they do a lot of odd tunings. metalocalypse and devin townsend does open c tuning.

Metalocalypse actually uses C- standard and Drop Bb afaik.

To the OP, what do you mean by a "unique" tuning? Any tuning that is of any use to anyone is probably in usage by someone somewhere.
If you're looking for something away from the usual Standard and drop tunings, may I recommend an open tuning? As Buddah92 mentioned for Devin Townsend, Open C is (low-high) C-G-C-G-C-E. All open tunings use the same intervals. Maybe try Open C with an octaved low G, or even tune it G-C-G-C-G-C?

Another idea could be to use differnet intervals around the joint. An example is TesseracT tuning their 7's to Ab-F-Bb-Eb-F-Bb_Eb. The interval between the lowest 2 lets you fret (7th-6th) 0-3 and you have an octave. Also the whole tone gap between the Eb and F makes for some "fun" messing around with chords and lead lines.

The other alternative is to do a Torche....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_A0F5vUKc&feature=related

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
By unique I meant along the lines of something that's rarely used for bands. Like Karnivools tuning, it's really unique. No other bands use it, it's "theirs" I'm liking torche! Gonna have to listen to them some more. Open tunings I wouldn't really call unique, I want tunings that don't even have a name. Kinda hard to explain and a weird request. Thanks

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Sikth use that '7 string' tuning but down a bit in G#. Like 7 string drop G# but missing the 6th string, I am learning their songs on a 7 - plenty of string skipping practice haha.

Tarantino_Jr

Reaction score
I'm quite sure that pantera used GGCFAD on TGST. "The Underground in America" "(Reprise) Sandblasted Skin"
Mastodon actually use AGCFAD.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Tool uses BEDGBE for Parabol & Parabola. Other than that though they stick to DADGBE.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyone that uses the tuning: AADGBE?

I see tunings like that all the time and I can't come up with a practical use for something like that.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
By unique I meant along the lines of something that's rarely used for bands. Like Karnivools tuning, it's really unique. No other bands use it, it's "theirs" I'm liking torche! Gonna have to listen to them some more. Open tunings I wouldn't really call unique, I want tunings that don't even have a name. Kinda hard to explain and a weird request. Thanks

Karnivool quickly became my favorite band after hearing themata before sound awake came out and I couldn't help but give their b gb b g b e tuning a try and its one of my favorite tunings now. Takes a sec to get used to but really fun and I've written a ton of stuff with it once I stopped thinking about the fact that its a different tuning lol. Highly recommend trying it out.

')