Unique tunings

• Thread starter John54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
was wondering how all you guitar gods out there decide to change your tunnings? i know it make more and less chords acessable and easier to play and drop tuning increases your range but a buddy of mine once had a guitar with a off the wall tuning and no matter how hard you tried to play drak ugly chords it always came out with a soft chord. i dont know if there is some music therory behind it or if it is getting a wild hair and relearning how to play scales. adios

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
It was probably some sort of open tuning. You can actually go to Wikipedia and check out all sorts of tunings, that's what I did.

Ninjahat

Reaction score
EEEH. I used NST for alittle bit. I may use it again, but highly unlikely!

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I use Drop G on a 7 currently but I plan to experiment with Drop G with a high G and some 7 string open tunings.

xeL

Reaction score
Karnivool Tuning (B-F#-B-G-B-E) Is pretty unique, haven't heard of anyone else tuning that way.

I have also seen D-A-D-A-B-E and C-G-C-G-A-D somewhere which Is Interesting.

Koop

Reaction score
Open tunings are just open chords. I find that there's a limit on how abstract the tuning can get on an electric guitar. On my acoustic I'm currently in Eb Maj9 (Eb Bb D Eb Bb F). I suppose open tunings can get crazier on acoustic since you can hear the notes with more clarity; it sounds more natural and 'woody', i guess.

Reaction score
I was experimenting a little while back and wrote a couple riffs in G C G C G B E on my 7.

Didn't sound bad, just got to get used to where you bar the chords

')