Unorthodox 6-String build mahogany/macasar/MDF/chromesteel

Goatchrist

Reaction score
So, it's been a really long while since I last posted.

The situation is this:

I started this guitar sometime in 2015, with a friend who's an experienced luthier and offers courses. (https://www.facebook.com/pg/MarcoGuitars/photos/?ref=page_internal)
I took long breaks for different reasons, but since June I'm at it again.

It's his design and his builds usually are enough unorthodox already, using all kinds of weird materials he finds in his carpenter workshop.
We decided to try out some stuff I know form monitoring people like Strandberg, Rick Toone and others. For example it features an Rick Toone IPNP neck, fanned frets and I had the honor to contribute a little on the bottom "cut-away" and the headshape.
He himself is building one without an IPNP neck profile and a very interesting/unusual wood combo.

Specs:

630mm-675mm scale.
Mahogany neck
2x 2mm carbon fiber reinforcements
Macasar Ebony Fretboard (my father still had some)
Mahogany "wings" or frame
Chrome-steel "resonance-board" 1.5mm thick
Top and and back made out of MDF with smoked eucalyptus veneer

Using Chrome steel as "body" is a bit of an experiment, they built Telecasters with steel plates in it before and they turned out great with a very clear and brilliant sound.
For me that is a bit of a risk, since I haven't heard one.
Everything else is still not decided.

tl/dr
Here are some random pics of the build.
wood.png

fra_sen.png

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
Mdf? :0

No pics broseph

Yes MDF " Medium-desnity fibreboard", it's just the cover, the bridge is mounted on the steel.

Now it should work. Sorry for the quality, I'm a lazy photographer and my cellphone camera is broken.
I try to take some good pictures next time I'm in the workshop.

Mr_Mar10

*space for hire*
Reaction score
Yeah pics good now... liking that mate :hbang:

This forum is proper inspiring some days!

Goatchrist

Reaction score
So I make this post to motivate myself to finally finish this build.
My life has changed quite a bit since 2017 and playing and building guitars isn't my main focus anymore.
Still I want to finish this guitar. After having the same string on for a couple of years it should be ready to the final neck adjustments and to finish the frets (edges are still a bit sharp).

When I have done this, I might even do a little adio demo. :)

I might still find some pictures of the building process, specially the making of th e humbuckers was interesting, it'll take a couple of days.

But if anyone has an interest in a specific step of the build, let me know and I'll search for some pics on some dusty harddisks.
Help me get hyped and I might finish it later this year. Since my workshop is in a different city, I can only go on selected dates.

IMG-4384.jpg
IMG-4388.jpg
IMG-4390.jpg
IMG-4391.jpg
IMG-4392.jpg

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Really great looking multi-layer build! I kind of wish there was some aesthetic of showing the layers and materials, but this is such a clean look too.

')