Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
This seemed like it could be interesting. How about unpopular opinions on gear? For instance, most people to talk about how "bad" EMG HZ pickups are, but I rather enjoy the ALX, H2, H3, and H4 pickups I have at my disposal. I think they sound pretty damn good. I also really like the analog cab sim in my Tech 21 British and Joyo American Sound pedals even though people tend to prefer IRs and cab sim pedals like the CAB M and Radar (which are good, but I don't feel they are necessary).

So what're some unpopular gear opinions you guys have? I'm interested to see what you guys have to say.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I guess it might be an unpopular gear opinion so here goes, so much of what people associate with high end gear is actually a high end set up. As such spending money with a tech or luthier setting up a regular production line guitar can yield exactly the same results in terms of playability as going “full custom”.

I also think that build quality in terms of fit and finish is great, but is given far too much importance in terms of playability and tone.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- I like EMG 707's. For years they were the best 7 string pickup you could get then ever since Blackouts came out they've gotten a bad rap. They are still great pickups. Sure there's probably something better out there but that don't mean these suck.
- There's stlil good solid state distortions out there.
- Overdrive pedals are not automatically needed in front of an amp, even to get djenty.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I guess it might be an unpopular gear opinion so here goes, so much of what people associate with high end gear is actually a high end set up. As such spending money with a tech or luthier setting up a regular production line guitar can yield exactly the same results in terms of playability as going “full custom”.

I also think that build quality in terms of fit and finish is great, but is given far too much importance in terms of playability and tone.
Yeah, some of those "classic" guitars aren't exactly "quality" in terms of fit or finish. Apparently Eddie called his original Frankenstrat "a piece of shit." I do think it looked pretty swanky with the 2 single coils (neither of which worked, I'm sure), and a black headstock'd Strat style neck.

eddie_van_halen_1982_tour_by_iamelvis_d1qhytl-fullview.jpg

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
- I like EMG 707's. For years they were the best 7 string pickup you could get then ever since Blackouts came out they've gotten a bad rap. They are still great pickups. Sure there's probably something better out there but that don't mean these suck.
- There's stlil good solid state distortions out there.
- Overdrive pedals are not automatically needed in front of an amp, even to get djenty.
Yeah, if you can't get djunty with a VHT, the amp isn't the problem. It is likely the pickup or guitar that needs help. Back in the day, there was a drastic difference between tube drive, solid state (ie, using diodes) distortion pedals, and digital OD/distortions. All three have gotten drastically better and closed the gap in a lot of ways.

Werecow

Reaction score
This seemed like it could be interesting. How about unpopular opinions on gear? For instance, most people to talk about how "bad" EMG HZ pickups are, but I rather enjoy the ALX, H2, H3, and H4 pickups I have at my disposal. I think they sound pretty damn good. I also really like the analog cab sim in my Tech 21 British and Joyo American Sound pedals even though people tend to prefer IRs and cab sim pedals like the CAB M and Radar (which are good, but I don't feel they are necessary).

So what're some unpopular gear opinions you guys have? I'm interested to see what you guys have to say.

I guess mine is the same as yours. I've got a Jackson SLSMG with HZ pickups in, and i love the sound of that guitar. I've had it a long time and never once considered changing the pickups.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
My favorite recorded guitar was, I'm told, gotten using an SM57 and a V30, but aside from this particular instance here I think that combo tends to sound shitty.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Boosting amps is fine and sounds great when the amp has only two or three gain stages, but IMHO it sounds bad when the amp has lots of gain stages, even if you turn the preamp volume down low.

If you want to revoice a high gain preamp, you want a high or low pass filter or eq IMHO (or a different amp), not a boost pedal.

viifox

Reaction score
Most people seem to love BOSS pedals, but i generally kinda hate them. I've yet to play anything from boss that really did anything for me, aside from the Tera Echo (which is pretty cool). I also do own the FV500, which is solid AF.

Ironically enough, one if my all time favorite tones is from HUM's Downward is Heavenward album, which one of their guitarists mainly used a Boss distortion/feedbacker pedal into a vintage 200w Orange. I actually bought that same pedal, but it sounded like complete ass, so i have no idea what kind of magic tricks they did to get that kind of tone from it. Probably had something to do with them running it into that Orange amp with massive headroom.

But yeah, I'd basically take any other pedal company over boss any day of the week, well, except for maybe Zoom. :lol:

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Most people seem to love BOSS pedals, but i generally kinda hate them. I've yet to play anything from boss that really did anything for me, aside from the Tera Echo (which is pretty cool). I also do own the FV500, which is solid AF.

Ironically enough, one if my all time favorite tones is from HUM's Downward is Heavenward album, which one of their guitarists mainly used a Boss distortion/feedbacker pedal into a vintage 200w Orange. I actually bought that same pedal, but it sounded like complete ass, so i have no idea what kind of magic tricks they did to get that kind of tone from it. Probably had something to do with them running it into that Orange amp with massive headroom.

But yeah, I'd basically take any other pedal company over boss any day of the week, well, except for maybe Zoom. :lol:

So I have always felt the same way about BOSS since way back and completely avoided them. That is until last year when I picked up a DD-200. Now I own six BOSS pedals and love them all. I have had friends tell me that they don't even know me anymore.

viifox

Reaction score
So I have always felt the same way about BOSS since way back and completely avoided them. That is until last year when I picked up a DD-200. Now I own six BOSS pedals and love them all. I have had friends tell me that they don't even know me anymore.
Ha!

Yeah, i haven't even written them off either, but every time i try something from BOSS, I'm usually pretty underwhelmed.

In fact, i tried owning the DD500 at least twice, thinking i could find what people love so much about it, but nope.

I really do think it's just the "BOSS tone" that i don't jive with. I just find the sound of their pedals to be sterile, boring, and lifeless. It's unfortunate, because i love how solidly built, inexpensive and readily accessible they are.

I will say I'm looking forward to trying their SY-1!

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

that and old Hiwatts

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I guess mine is the same as yours. I've got a Jackson SLSMG with HZ pickups in, and i love the sound of that guitar. I've had it a long time and never once considered changing the pickups.
What model pickups are in the guitar? H4?

Chorus is the best effect.
Alexi agrees, and I enjoy turning it on for certain riffs. They don't sound right otherwise.

viifox

Reaction score
that and old Hiwatts
Correct. Tim Lash ran a sansamp gt2 into a Hiwatt. I bet that combined with Matt's Orange/Boss rig is what makes their sound so massive. Even live, their sound is just huge. They also have a pretty heavy hitting drummer!

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Correct. Tim Lash ran a sansamp gt2 into a Hiwatt. I bet that combined with Matt's Orange/Boss is what makes their sound so massive. Even live, their sound is just huge. They also have a pretty heavy hitting drummer!

Even then as weird as the setups are they sound massive and huge and then tight enough for faster riffing like in the bridge of Stars or Green to Me

what cabs did they use?

')