Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Just slam the bridge down with 5 springs

but-why.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Orange does the low mid grunt thing better than the Mesa rectifier series.

Yeah I was auditioning recto sims since I like them and the VH4 really can't do that sound great, and the Herbert is a little smooth to be Recto, and the orange sim I got just killed every recto. Like I can crank heavy rock and nu metal on that thing all day better than any mesa sim out there plus it does the general doom sound, has a killer crunch, and fantastic dark round cleans.

Plus boosted to shit it's the one way stop to Slipknot town and I LOVE their tones.

"Shitty" gear can have more character than using THE "BEST" top of the line gear

Currently living that principle, my main guitar that outlasted MIJ ESPs and American Jacksons was $600. My second lifetime guitar is a production Schecter and it feels like heaven. My latest purchase was not the USA Charvel I want really bad nor another MIJ beast like I also love, it's a piece of trash 80s jank monster. I have a feeling unless the frets and neck are utter shit it's a lifetime instrument as well.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- Some people say Strats specifically sound better in Eb for whatever reason. Frankly, all guitars do - Eb just sounds better than E Standard.

- Big Strat headstocks are much cooler than standard ones

- For the vast majority of genres, wooden snares > metal snares

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Caveat: as long as you don't have to haul them around :lol:

No problem with a roadcase. Just ask for help to move it through stairs, etc. You *could* haul your head+cab rig alone with carts and stuff, but honestly if you're doing that on your own you're better off using a modeller :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Except that road cases add weight, and some people live alone so there's no guarantee there's anyone around to help.

If you live alone and move your amp from your house to your rehearsal/space gigs on your own, then yeah. Combos are definetely not for you. But then again heads and cabs probably aren't either. If you have your gear in your rehearsal space, and gets loaded in the van by the band (as it should be) when gigging, then it's no problem.

Actually, it's good to have stuff you can't transport on your own. Sure, you can carry a head yourself but it's a potential source of injury. My singer hurt his back the other day grabbing bandmate's Mesa 2:90 as he thought that small thing wouldn't be heavy (it weighs almost like an amp head).

I'll say it again. If you need to transport heavy gear on your own, you better use a modeller or a pedalboard-based rig instead and go lightweight. There is a reason why those rigs are getting so popular these days. :2c:

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If you live alone and move your amp from your house to your rehearsal/space gigs on your own, then yeah. Combos are not for you. But then again heads and cabs probably aren't either.
This is my situation, and it's why I tend to like head+cab setup. The head can travel while the cabs stay. 4x12 (or 8x10 or what have you) at the jam room, with the 1x12 at home, and when the cabs do need to move it's likely because the whole band is there loading/unloading stuff.

Also, do other places not do gear sharing? Like 90% of shows I've played were arranged so that one band brings cabs, and everyone else just brings their heads.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This is my situation, and it's why I tend to like head+cab setup. The head can travel while the cabs stay. 4x12 (or 8x10 or what have you) at the jam room, with the 1x12 at home, and when the cabs do need to move it's likely because the whole band is there loading/unloading stuff.

Also, do other places not do gear sharing? Like 90% of shows I've played were arranged so that one band brings cabs, and everyone else just brings their heads.

I'd rather have my balls kicked that having to carry an amp head myself to rehearsal (with its two sets of stairs) in and out every damn week . You people are crazy :lol:

Last edited:
')