Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
it's not MY opinion but it's a common one

what-wtf.gif

Genome

Reaction score
This probably used to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not quite sure any more as I honestly don't tend to hear guitarists talking about IK Multimedia as much as Neural, etc.

But Amplitube 5 is very underrated. Their new release, Mesa Boogie 2, is insanely good. The Mark IIC+ on that is probably the best Mark sim I've tried next to Reaxis. It used to be awful, but honestly I think guitarists should give Amplitube another shot particularly if you're a Mesa fan.

Shask

Reaction score
I’d rather have an ampless, pedalboard based rig at this point.
It would be nice if any of the pedal poweramps sounded and felt as good as their bigger counterparts. Or, if there was a good way to fake it, like using a Dynamic EQ or something.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
tone knob on a guitar, unnecessary

after insisting on having a tone knob and coil taps and everything for 2 years and now going 5 months with a guitar with only a single volume, tone knobs are useless, just don't get a guitar that sounds bad

I miss my coil taps tho

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

...but what if I want it later? I mean, I know I won't, but still...

It actually sees a ton of use on my Tele and Jazzmaster but I've never felt the need on a humbucker. But still. What if I need it later?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Yup. I have (built) a guitar with 1 hum and 1 volume, and I never miss the tone knob. Hell, I’ve even considered just wiring a kill switch in the volume knobs place with a 500k resistor on the output.

And my other guitar is a les paul with the traditional layout and guess how many of those knobs I use? (1)

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup. I have (built) a guitar with 1 hum and 1 volume, and I never miss the tone knob. Hell, I’ve even considered just wiring a kill switch in the volume knobs place with a 500k resistor on the output.

And my other guitar is a les paul with the traditional layout and guess how many of those knobs I use? (1)

ok depending on the guitar knobs are nice and if you've got a nice resonant piece of wood that sounds great having things to shape that sound is so nice

but like my mockingbirds played great, they just didn't have the resonance or acoustic sound for all those switches and knobs

a good 4 knob LP with push pulls tho?

fuck me up

')