Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
How many revisions of recto’s are there ?

This list better not be Rev C, D, E, F, G, multiwatt, and then every revision and stripe color of the mesa mark series.

mongey

Reaction score
This list better not be Rev C, D, E, F, G, multiwatt, and then every revision and stripe color of the mesa mark series.
Not quite.

there’s def a jc120 and old non MV AC30
In there.

5150 and it’s flavors may just be an amp I need to spend proper time with. My
Limited experience with it has been underwhelming. Maybe what it does best , I just don’t need.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 96613 :lol:
I wonder if 88hz unlocks time travel.
iu

False, 88hz already unlocked NSBM for us which turned around and unlocked RABM in response.

Gmork

Reaction score
after insisting on having a tone knob and coil taps and everything for 2 years and now going 5 months with a guitar with only a single volume, tone knobs are useless, just don't get a guitar that sounds bad

I miss my coil taps tho
Gonna take it one more step and say tone knobs AND volume knobs are useless. Always planned for my next custom to have nothing but a kill switch.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Honestly one kind of setup I've been wanting to try is a 2-volume setup, but with the first volume knob being a master volume and the 2nd knob being a neck only volume. When i ride the volume knob, it tends to be either only with the neck pickup or in the middle position. Bridge pickup is always full blast.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've always had this theory that "this amp needs to be loud to sound good" is code for "this amp doesn't sound good, but it's very loud, and past a certain volume all amp character is drowned in unintelligible noise anyway".

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've always had this theory that "this amp needs to be loud to sound good" is code for "this amp doesn't sound good, but it's very loud, and past a certain volume all amp character is drowned in unintelligible noise anyway".

All amps sound "better" loud, it's just folks tend to have different meanings of "loud", like to me "loud enough to play with a drummer" is just "normal", where most folks who play at home anything louder than "my neighbors/parents will yell at me" which is pretty much anything that's not designed for quiet practice.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I get that, for sure. I'm thinking more the "it needs to be ear-shatteringly loud to sound good" kinds of amps. I dunno if it's a taste thing or people not being good at dialing amps, but I've seen people use their 5150-ish amps this way. Saw some 5150 comments in the last few pages and this was the first thing I thought.

laxu

Reaction score
I can't think of an amp that would actually sound terrible at "loud enough to play with a drummer" band volume. There are plenty of amps that turn into a can of bees if much below that level though.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Honestly one kind of setup I've been wanting to try is a 2-volume setup, but with the first volume knob being a master volume and the 2nd knob being a neck only volume. When i ride the volume knob, it tends to be either only with the neck pickup or in the middle position. Bridge pickup is always full blast.
So then just have a neck volume. Having a master volume, when the bridge is full blast, seems kind of pointless.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I can't think of an amp that would actually sound terrible at "loud enough to play with a drummer" band volume. There are plenty of amps that turn into a can of bees if much below that level though.
Randall RD45. It generally sounded not awesome but there was a sweet spot a few notches below band volume. Sounded like the cab was made of cardboard any higher than that.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The 5150 tone had long been exhausted by the time djent became popular and they made it worse by neutering the amps. To add to this, why the fuck do people bother using other amps in the studio like Engl's and shit if they're just going after THAT tone?

In terms of playability and feel with guitars, diminishing returns start happening WAY before what most people consider viable.

Most people don't stop to experiment with their instruments and equipment before they write it off completely.

People give way too much a damn about inconsequential aspects of a guitar and use that as an excuse to write one off completely (logos such as on the fretboard or headstock).

Many guitarists are spoiled in a world where for the most part, guitars MUCH cheaper are just as playable and sound as good.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand what people are talking about when they say a particular amp's tone is "boring" or "overused" or whatever.

It's not the tone guys, it's the songwriting.

Like, I have no idea how people are "sick of 5150 tone". I could listen to fucking Heartwork every day before I die and still love that tone.

Latest posts

')