Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't understand what people are talking about when they say a particular amp's tone is "boring" or "overused" or whatever.

It's not the tone guys, it's the songwriting.

Like, I have no idea how people are "sick of 5150 tone". I could listen to fucking Heartwork every day before I die and still love that tone.

No difference in songwriting will ever make me love the following again: squish, bwong, jun jun jun. For some reason, I don't hear that out of any other amp, save for the excessive squish out of rectifiers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Oh!?... Looks SO much like a guy called low tier god in the fighting game community! ANYWAY... back on topic
0007467d-4eb8-4527-9050-7185b4abd796_text.gif

Gmork

Reaction score
Really now?!?! Lol, give me a break. NO!, infact they share MANY important features. Same eyes, at times the same hair cut, large tattoo in similar forearm spot. They could legit be siblings. So gtfo with that shit.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I don't understand what people are talking about when they say a particular amp's tone is "boring" or "overused" or whatever.

It's not the tone guys, it's the songwriting.

Like, I have no idea how people are "sick of 5150 tone". I could listen to fucking Heartwork every day before I die and still love that tone.
Exactly. People DGAF about what you are using, they care about the songs. Groove, hook, etc. The only ones caring about what you are using are the other guitarists at the venue. In 07 i opened for Soil and Drowning Pool and after we got done with our set i had about 8-10 guitarists that came up before us with the "Bruh! What are you using with that 5150??? I've NEVER head one sound like that!". My response, some cheap madison minstrel speakers, a wah out front and delay in the loop. They thought i was bullshitting them :cond::rofl:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Really now?!?! Lol, give me a break. NO!, infact they share MANY important features. Same eyes, at times the same hair cut, large tattoo in similar forearm spot. They could legit be siblings. So gtfo with that shit.
I'm just messing with you. I'm really only here to quote Community and, if I'm forced to, talk about guitars.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitarists will go on and on about how an amp or modeler "lacks dynamics" or how a clean channel is "too harsh" and then talk about how they wish their guitars didn't have volume or tone controls. :nuts:

:rofl:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Guitarists will go on and on about how an amp or modeler "lacks dynamics" or how a clean channel is "too harsh" and then talk about how they wish their guitars didn't have volume or tone controls. :nuts:
I’m a death/thrash metal guy generally. I’ve never encountered an amp or humbucker guitar (sans tele style bridges), that I found uncontrollably bright/harsh. I put a 500k pot in my poplar body baritone guitar after a year of 1meg and that was the closest I’ve ever been to “taming” brightness.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Sustainer pickups should be more common on guitars.

I've always had this theory that "this amp needs to be loud to sound good" is code for "this amp doesn't sound good, but it's very loud, and past a certain volume all amp character is drowned in unintelligible noise anyway".
I was expecting my 2203 to only sound good cranked, but it does really well on 2 as long as I attenuate it by 3 dB or so.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna take it one more step and say tone knobs AND volume knobs are useless. Always planned for my next custom to have nothing but a kill switch.

Don't forget to do the same on your amp. Noithing better than a killswitch with OFF-FULLBLAST mode! :lol:

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fender and Gibson doesn't need to release anything "new" or "innovative". Y'all just want a dumb reason to hate on popular shit. They probably make most of their money selling vintage reissue or vintage-spec stuff.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Fender and Gibson doesn't need to release anything "new" or "innovative". Y'all just want a dumb reason to hate on popular shit. They probably make most of their money selling vintage reissue or vintage-spec stuff.
Gibson has earned their ire online, but Fender I don't really get.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Yeah Gibson does deserve ire for other reasons. But them making more of what sells? Nah.

Fender... Shrug. You can call it "resting on your laurels." I call it "not making New Coke." :lol:

Fender don't even make shit with humbuckers in, so are obviously not a real guitar company in any meaningful sense.

And seriously, if one of your flagship models is the terminally disappointing Jazzmaster maybe a little bit of a shake up is necessary.

Sure, no-one likes New Coke, but if Coke Classic originally had asbestos, broken glass and the zika virus in it then maybe a tiny little change to a new formulation would be positive for all involved.

')