Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Through the power of DESTRUCITY
I think for the most part, his Dark Side episode was kind of weak compared to some of the others they've either covered, or could have covered. You had a guy sexually assault a woman on a plane, a guy kill or possibly kill people in addition to other crimes, you had a guy who likely showed up months before his death possibly high as a kite or drunk as a skunk, a guy whose not been covered but featured and said horrendous racial shit (as well as possibly more), etc. Warrior said some mean things online, cheated on his wife (who didn't in WWF?), and was a giant pain in the ass to work with who didn't want to learn the craft. Sounds like people with a vendetta if you ask me.

To clarify, I think what Warrior was quoted as saying was horrible, and he could've said it much better in whatever attempt he was trying to make a "point." I love Warrior, but that shit was disgusting. He could've gotten the same point across while still not coming across as a complete dolt.

As for the few things I highlighted, I could've gone on a lot more. I just feel like the Warrior episode was mostly a nothing-burger that could've been covered in an overall episode involving wrestlers who have said dumb ass nonsense (Hogan, for instance, who still deserves to get the Yapapi Indian Strap numbers ONE and TWO for that, mind you).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah Gibson does deserve ire for other reasons. But them making more of what sells? Nah.

Fender... Shrug. You can call it "resting on your laurels." I call it "not making New Coke." :lol:

Fender does that exact same shit everyone hates on Gibson for: they buy smaller companies for IP and run them into the ground, threaten to sue and sue folks all the time, are massively in debt, etc.

They just get a pass.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Gonna hop in here with a SQUIERS ARE AWESOME!
I mean I always prefer Fender to Squier and Gibson to Epiphone, but my Squier that I've had for almost as long as I've been playing has been a really great playing guitar. Obviously, there's a lot to it I wanna change on it, but I feel like I'd be losing out on already great guitar if I made any significant changes to it (if that makes sense).

ekulggats

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion-

A well resonating Solid body guitar is more important than good pickups.

oooh yeah 'magnets, how do they work' huhuhuh. Hear me out though.

I've owned/tried up to 3 of the same model guitars, down to the color. Would buy one, couldn't get it sounding like I wanted. Swapped pickups multiple times- JB, Duncan Custom, P-Rail and Distortion- flat, lifeless. Bought another of the same. Sounds great, no name stock pups. Put the Distortion in that one- boom. Phenomenal.

Even 1000+dollar guitars. Regardless of bridge type, Even Floyd guits can sound drastically different.

Before you say anything, I'm a luthier of 14 years, have done setups, fretwork, woodwork etc for money. Pickup height, bridge height, action etc were set ideally. Some guitars just don't have the right 'bounce' etc. Like, hitting the strings in normal play isn't getting the guitar 'moving' and resonating like it should- the strings are attached to the guitar, and therefore subject to all it's movement and resonance, you hear it through the pickups.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll say that a guitar's fret, neck, nut and bridge setup are THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS for any good sounding guitar, simply because these are the ones that "manage" the strings' vibration quality.

Only then come the pickup/electronics and wood talk... The strings' vibration geometry rules above all else by far.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion-

A well resonating Solid body guitar is more important than good pickups.

oooh yeah 'magnets, how do they work' huhuhuh. Hear me out though.

I've owned/tried up to 3 of the same model guitars, down to the color. Would buy one, couldn't get it sounding like I wanted. Swapped pickups multiple times- JB, Duncan Custom, P-Rail and Distortion- flat, lifeless. Bought another of the same. Sounds great, no name stock pups. Put the Distortion in that one- boom. Phenomenal.

Even 1000+dollar guitars. Regardless of bridge type, Even Floyd guits can sound drastically different.

Before you say anything, I'm a luthier of 14 years, have done setups, fretwork, woodwork etc for money. Pickup height, bridge height, action etc were set ideally. Some guitars just don't have the right 'bounce' etc. Like, hitting the strings in normal play isn't getting the guitar 'moving' and resonating like it should- the strings are attached to the guitar, and therefore subject to all it's movement and resonance, you hear it through the pickups.

:facepalm:

')