Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Dean ML's can't get any worse anyway... although I'd rather see Hello Kitty and pink rhinestones.
Dude I would LOVE a rhinestone covered ML.

I know how to stone things...my old drag queen days came in handy. I could get some good AB stones and do it but it'd take forever...and it'd be super heavy. Goddamnit now I wanna have someone stone an ML for me

WarMachine

Reaction score
One of these days i need to pick up another ML, cheap, used and beat up. And then try the cracked glass top cover like you see in the Save Me video from Damage Plan. That guitar is sexy AF, ML's fuggin' rule.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Time to bring this thread back:

The Boss Metal Zone is good, actually. That parametric mid band is FAB.

Thanks for bringing my favourite SSO thread back! :woot:

And yes, Metal Zone used straight into a poweramp or set up as a regular boost works perfectly fine. A buddy used it as a boost for his Peavey Valveking and worked a treat.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't really think that "all marine-grade, baltic birch blah blah blah" makes for a better sounding cab. Some of my favorite cabs have been medium-high to high density fiberboard. There is absolutely an argument that they need to be well sealed to prevent moisture entry, but sound wise? Every bit as good if not better.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I don't really think that "all marine-grade, baltic birch blah blah blah" makes for a better sounding cab. Some of my favorite cabs have been medium-high to high density fiberboard. There is absolutely an argument that they need to be well sealed to prevent moisture entry, but sound wise? Every bit as good if not better.
I honestly think the material the cab itself is made of is less important than how well it prevents sound from escaping out the back and sides.

Also fuck whoever thought speakers should be at anything other than close to head height. How the fuck am I supposed to hear my cab when it's aimed at my ankles :lol:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure audiophile speakers are made from mdf and they tout that as a good thing, because the density is totally uniform. Guitar cabs being Baltic birch has got to be another "this is what they happened to use in the 60s so obviously it is the best choice" situation. As is the case with most guitar stuff.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I tend to agree. If it’s built well, sealed well, and the dimensions are right, it will generally sound good with good speakers.

That being said, if your preferred speaker doesn’t have a lot of high end detail and solid midrange, I do think that MDF will eat some highs one might want.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I honestly think the material the cab itself is made of is less important than how well it prevents sound from escaping out the back and sides.

Also fuck whoever thought speakers should be at anything other than close to head height. How the fuck am I supposed to hear my cab when it's aimed at my ankles :lol:

Design and quality construction is almost always going to trump materials when it comes to importance, imo.

I'm pretty sure audiophile speakers are made from mdf and they tout that as a good thing, because the density is totally uniform. Guitar cabs being Baltic birch has got to be another "this is what they happened to use in the 60s so obviously it is the best choice" situation. As is the case with most guitar stuff.

This is my suspicion.

I tend to agree. If it’s built well, sealed well, and the dimensions are right, it will generally sound good with good speakers.

That being said, if your preferred speaker doesn’t have a lot of high end detail and solid midrange, I do think that MDF will eat some highs one might want.

Fair point, they do tend to sound darker. Given that most folks using V30s usually complain about the high end fizz, I figure this would be ideal though :)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Actually it has more to do with MDF being a shitty material for weight and durability so it is not a good choice for cabs you'll be moving around a lot. It also tends to be acoustically neutral which is why it is used for hifi cabs.

Latest posts

')