Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
While I am in agreement that the idea of using nitro over poly, the latter being a much better protective finish, is silly in theory and from a durability standpoint, but if you haven't played a worn in nitro body/neck, you're missing out. It feels awesome, smells awesome, and just has an indescribable quality when it wears that just scratches all the right itches for me. I love playing old nitro guitars.

Again, it is stupid if you think about it too long, but what isn't?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
While I am in agreement that the idea of using nitro over poly, the latter being a much better protective finish, is silly in theory and from a durability standpoint, but if you haven't played a worn in nitro body/neck, you're missing out. It feels awesome, smells awesome, and just has an indescribable quality when it wears that just scratches all the right itches for me. I love playing old nitro guitars.

Again, it is stupid if you think about it too long, but what isn't?
I'd imagine the feel is better.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
1.21 gigawatts

rock-back.gif

Matt08642

Reaction score
Not an unpopular opinion per se, more just an opinion, but I think that the guitar shapes someone likes are heavily dependent on their frame/stature and how they hold the instrument. I've been trying for nearly 20 years to enjoy playing Les Pauls (I try high end models at any store I go to in the hopes one will really click) and it just never feels "good". It could be because I'm taller with longer limbs, but everything just feels weird and cramped (I'd love to try a buckethead LP to see if it's any different feeling to me), either way the shape has never felt right. I don't think it's the scale length either since I love playing SGs, really just how the whole thing comes together.

That being said, an Alpine White LP with gold hardware has been something I've wanted for years and years.

Reaction score
Not an unpopular opinion per se, more just an opinion, but I think that the guitar shapes someone likes are heavily dependent on their frame/stature and how they hold the instrument. I've been trying for nearly 20 years to enjoy playing Les Pauls (I try high end models at any store I go to in the hopes one will really click) and it just never feels "good". It could be because I'm taller with longer limbs, but everything just feels weird and cramped (I'd love to try a buckethead LP to see if it's any different feeling to me), either way the shape has never felt right. I don't think it's the scale length either since I love playing SGs, really just how the whole thing comes together.

That being said, an Alpine White LP with gold hardware has been something I've wanted for years and years.
Yep. I think the combination of body shape, scale length, and neck shape really seal the deal for a player. I went through this for years before finding the guitar that was perfect for me and I still remember years ago trying the right guitar and thinking "Oh my god...THIS is how guitar playing is supposed to feel?"

cmpxchg

Reaction score

I have this exact experience every time I pick up my LP. Sounds great, plays well, and yet after ten minutes I'm always uncomfortable and kind of hating it. It weighs a ton so playing it standing up isn't my favorite (I know, I know, it's an LP, that's the point), but the balance when sitting down feels awkward and uncomfortable. Meanwhile, my SG was my first not-cheap guitar and it whips ass no matter what.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The shape of the guitar body and neck has a huge impact on the tone. Thick necks and Les Paul bodies provide a creaminess to the mids that the strat shape just can't reproduce. The strat provides that twang in the highs, due to the missing wood and thinner paint.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I have this exact experience every time I pick up my LP. Sounds great, plays well, and yet after ten minutes I'm always uncomfortable and kind of hating it. It weighs a ton so playing it standing up isn't my favorite (I know, I know, it's an LP, that's the point), but the balance when sitting down feels awkward and uncomfortable. Meanwhile, my SG was my first not-cheap guitar and it whips ass no matter what.
Same here. Love the shape but they sit so bad on my lap. I have two agile ALs that I love but I really need to get rid of.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You’d probably love my 7.8lb les paul classic then :lol:

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Right, Les Pauls never felt comfortable for me either. I like the look a lot, was hoping to add one to my collection. Never liked Gibsons/Epiphones that I tried. Then I got to thinking, what if there were a lighter version of les paul shaped guitar? So I tried some models with chambered bodies and other models with light basswood bodies - still no good. Then I thought that maybe it is a scale length that is problematic. Found Hagstrom guitar with 25,5 scale - well, still no :wallbash:. Finally accepted that I am not a les paul guy :lol:

')