Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Right, Les Pauls never felt comfortable for me either. I like the look a lot, was hoping to add one to my collection. Never liked Gibsons/Epiphones that I tried. Then I got to thinking, what if there were a lighter version of les paul shaped guitar? So I tried some models with chambered bodies and other models with light basswood bodies - still no good. Then I thought that maybe it is a scale length that is problematic. Found Hagstrom guitar with 25,5 scale - well, still no :wallbash:. Finally accepted that I am not a les paul guy :lol:

One more thing to try is a thinner body with a tummy cut. IE: ESP Eclipse, Les Paul Muse.

Edit: PRS singlecut too iirc.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
One more thing to try is a thinner body with a tummy cut. IE: ESP Eclipse, Les Paul Muse.

Yep slight tummy bevel on prs.

Also the les paul modern and axxess.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Reaction score

I've tried LPs but they always felt too small and cramped to me. I wanted to like them. I like the weight but the weight without size just seems weird.

Tried a cheaper model ESP Eclipse and it was another "a-ha!" moment. It sit just right and felt perfect. I wish the body was meatier but ah well.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip!
I don't really like the look of PRS single cut, but other two options seem to be fine. Any specific ESP model? There is a lot on Thomann, need to narrow the search.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried LPs but they always felt too small and cramped to me. I wanted to like them. I like the weight but the weight without size just seems weird.

Tried a cheaper model ESP Eclipse and it was another "a-ha!" moment. It sit just right and felt perfect. I wish the body was meatier but ah well.
Try a full thickness eclipse?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Belly cuts. I just don't see the fucking point. I'm probably alone here :lol:

I would understand to have a slightly concave body so your belly sits on it, but the only thing the so called "belly cut" does is to tilt the guitar upwards, which is bad for ergonomics.

Whenever I grab a V or an Explorer shaped guitar I think "man, this is how playing standing up is supposed to be!"

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
Belly cuts. I just don't see the fucking point. I'm probably alone here :lol:

I would understand to have a slightly concave body so your belly sits on it, but the only thing the so called "belly cut" does is to tilt the guitar upwards, which is bad for ergonomics.

Whenever I grab a V or an Explorer shaped guitar I think "man, this is how playing standing up is supposed to be!"
I find that better than feeling like you have a 2x4 stuck in your rib, lol.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now that's a hot take
Screenshot_20230507_090410_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I agree. It sets unrealistic beauty standards for young girls and that's a dangerously unhealthy thing to do.

Hey...don't be sexist. If there is anything that this horrible opinion can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

')