Unpopular opinions on gear

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I prefer to keep my wrists straight over looking stupid, lol.
I just love everyone's "unique" guitar height style!

everybody's-so-creative-tiktok.gif

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, I have a real opinion kind of...

I don't really get the whole "feel" thing. I don't doubt that we might perceive differences, but for the life of me I cant figure out what it actually is, and I'm not talking amp in the room versus through monitors.

I think that the importance of feel started to increase once the digital to analog tone delta was reduced to a negligible level. So the olds had to come up with something else to justify their wall of amps.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't really get the whole "feel" thing. I don't doubt that we might perceive differences, but for the life of me I cant figure out what it actually is, and I'm not talking amp in the room versus through monitors.

I think that the importance of feel started to increase once the digital to analog tone delta was reduced to a negligible level. So the olds had to come up with something else to justify their wall of amps.

If you have to ask, it means you don't have to worry about it.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion on forums I wish I heard and understood earlier:

There is no substitute for trying an instrument yourself and buying guitars without that has worked for me just once out of sheer luck.

(Same is true for speakers, mics, amps and less so for pedals)

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

You can pull some extra sustain and feedback out of a loud amp next to you, but most people who complain about "feel" are using less notes and more hanging space to make up for a lack of interesting ideas that even make a guitar lead necessary in the first place. Play the right notes at the right time with intention and it doesn't matter what it "feels" like. Trying to get through another solo with the same 4-5 licks as the last dozen solos, you might be looking for ANYTHING to keep it interesting.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've always understood "feel" to be the elements of playing that aren't audible to someone after-the-fact or in a recording, but would be apparent to the player in the moment.

Something like latency - once you've recorded it, the listener has no way to know what the roundtrip latency of the recording equipment was, but there's a good chance that this was perceptible to the guitarist as they recorded it. And even then, it's not a change in the content of what you hear, so much as the timing, and it's subtle enough that you don't "hear" it, you "feel" it.

Certain types of compression or gain character might fit into this - where if your gear is naturally compressed, then you might not have to dig in as hard, so once again, while your audience receives the same result, you "feel" different because of the small adjustments you have to make to get the same result.

I'd be willing to put "thump" as a vague term into that bucket, since it's something I don't think translates well to a recording and end up mostly describing the players subjective experience of their own amp, or the characteristics of the playback system.

I mean, I guess it's right in the word: "feel" is the subjective experience of the player. By definition, you can't "prove" it's a thing or not a thing because it's all the things that don't make it to tape. And it's perfectly reasonable that it would matter more to some than to others, given the wide variety in people's playing contexts.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I've always understood "feel" to be the elements of playing that aren't audible to someone after-the-fact or in a recording, but would be apparent to the player in the moment.

Something like latency - once you've recorded it, the listener has no way to know what the roundtrip latency of the recording equipment was, but there's a good chance that this was perceptible to the guitarist as they recorded it. And even then, it's not a change in the content of what you hear, so much as the timing, and it's subtle enough that you don't "hear" it, you "feel" it.

Certain types of compression or gain character might fit into this - where if your gear is naturally compressed, then you might not have to dig in as hard, so once again, while your audience receives the same result, you "feel" different because of the small adjustments you have to make to get the same result.

I'd be willing to put "thump" as a vague term into that bucket, since it's something I don't think translates well to a recording and end up mostly describing the players subjective experience of their own amp, or the characteristics of the playback system.

I mean, I guess it's right in the word: "feel" is the subjective experience of the player. By definition, you can't "prove" it's a thing or not a thing because it's all the things that don't make it to tape. And it's perfectly reasonable that it would matter more to some than to others, given the wide variety in people's playing contexts.
Gotta do the trooch thing and make a foot vibrator so you can still feel the rumbles when using iems.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

To add to what @TedEH said too.
I would say it's a combination of everything from latency (how fast a device/amp responds), how it breaks up or not using pick attack dynamics, sustains/decays on hanging notes, how notes 'bloom' (rarefaction part of wave amplification/sustain is how I percive it) based on dynamics and the biofeedback type element of course of how it makes you feel too, but it's hot all in the head. - Everything, even modellers are going to have feel. It's just if you like it or not. - It's a big deal to a dynamic player, less so for faster distorted stuff, imo. For faster heavy stuff people still care about feel but want it tight and articulate and fast responding. For example a Recto is slow and flubby in comparison to a Mark but both can be made either tight or flubby having their own unique way of doing it. - Feel also is affected by things like buffers, cable lengths (especially speaker and instrument), speaker and basically everything else in some way but you can really tell when the cables are runing to long, because of loading etc. - Just dial whatever you use in to taste and keep paying attention to all this stuff and over time little things will reveal themselves and you'll dial it in better and it'll feel better.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The idea that a lot of guitar-playing kids today have never experienced a real tube amp in a room and are only playing through modelers, plugins, or captures, is perfectly fine to me. Let's democratize tone and gear.

I hate it when a kid who only plays through his computer comes into a Facebook group and some guy would slam him for not having had the pleasure, nay privilege, of playing through "REAL" amps. "What IR? Get a 4x12 and be a real man!"

Gross.

Matt08642

Reaction score
The most important thing that modelers/VSTs/IRs/etc. provide is a way to play anywhere and get the same sound. Gone are the days of playing a great amp at home and bringing a piece of shit 15 watt practice amp and zoom multi-fx on a trip. Now you have a VST that sounds perfect at home, perfect when you bring it with you on a laptop/in a pedal like the HX stomp/FM3, perfect through a PA, perfect through headphones. You never lose your settings, you can save nearly infinite presets, you'll never open the trunk and see that something smashed in to the face of the amp and snapped a potentiometer, you can bring a specific amp for each song via amp models vs. renting an 18-wheeler to bring your Petrucci rig everywhere, etc etc etc.

Something else I thought of regarding gear is the attitude of people who own homes or have always owned a home vs. people from a generation who might not ever be able to afford a standalone home to use a 120w head with a 4x12 within. Nothing screams waste of space more than a 5150 and 4x12 cab in an apartment where you can never get it past .00000001 volume without a noise complaint.

tl;dr:

341.png

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
The idea that a lot of guitar-playing kids today have never experienced a real tube amp in a room and are only playing through modelers, plugins, or captures, is perfectly fine to me. Let's democratize tone and gear.

I hate it when a kid who only plays through his computer comes into a Facebook group and some guy would slam him for not having had the pleasure, nay privilege, of playing through "REAL" amps. "What IR? Get a 4x12 and be a real man!"

Gross.
Playing through plugins / computers is pretty much always a much worse experience. At least they are playing though, right?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I think it'd be well worth it to anyone who's never been around loud instruments before to get a rehearsal spot for awhile and plan alone and/or jam time for loud and dialing things in etc to get a good overview and experience. Going back to a plugin or modeller after that will give you an idea what you want out of it more. Pros. con's etc. It's hard to lay down a couple grand or whatever but get freinds together and respect each others' time etc and it would be like an investment in everyone's education. It's what's really missing today that people use to be able to get away with more (loud drums/amp etc.). Loud jamming is becoming a lost art in some ways it seems. Alternatively, if you're in a permanant spot and can sound proof it, do that instead. - Back when bands existed, people would sound proof their garage or shed and crank it so they were all more familiar with how things work in 'real life'. No disrespect but loud af in a band is way different than studio anything. It's just not the same skillset, in terms of playing and contorolling dynamics. You need both ideally ,imo. This is an excuse for everyone to buy a reactive load, electric drum set and stick the singer in the closet. Lol.

Shask

Reaction score
I think it'd be well worth it to anyone who's never been around loud instruments before to get a rehearsal spot for awhile and plan alone and/or jam time for loud and dialing things in etc to get a good overview and experience. Going back to a plugin or modeller after that will give you an idea what you want out of it more. Pros. con's etc. It's hard to lay down a couple grand or whatever but get freinds together and respect each others' time etc and it would be like an investment in everyone's education. It's what's really missing today that people use to be able to get away with more (loud drums/amp etc.). Loud jamming is becoming a lost art in some ways it seems. Alternatively, if you're in a permanant spot and can sound proof it, do that instead. - Back when bands existed, people would sound proof their garage or shed and crank it so they were all more familiar with how things work in 'real life'. No disrespect but loud af in a band is way different than studio anything. It's just not the same skillset, in terms of playing and contorolling dynamics. You need both ideally ,imo. This is an excuse for everyone to buy a reactive load, electric drum set and stick the singer in the closet. Lol.
I dont jam with others any more, but I can't imagine being a teenager and not having an amp to take to your friends to jam together.

Playing together on a Skype call just dont seem the same, lol.

')