Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

The abolishment of capital punishment in most states has robbed the justice system of any meaningful punishments for crimes such as first degree murder.

The idea that someone who would meticulously plan to kill a person, knowing the rippling impact their actions would have on their loved ones and family (or simply not caring), would spend a life sentence feeling remorse or a sudden onset of empathy and "rotting away" in the knowledge of their actions shows how little people understand psychopathy. There is a reason people like Ted Bundy did everything in their power to buy themselves borrowed month after borrowed month--the only thing that had an impact on them, had any weight as a punishment, was the threat of losing their own life.

efiltsohg and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I just don't have enough faith in our system to dole out capital punishment appropriately.

We've identified and verified over 165 wrongly convicted death row inmates. That's just not acceptable to me.

In a perfect world we'd always know for a fact they did it. This is not a perfect world.

xzacx, tedtan, possumkiller and 6 others like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I actually like Zakk Wylde's pinch harmonics. :shrug: I don't really care that he overuses them.

Also Unforgiven II is a good song.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That’s the thing about capital punishment. There was a quote that said something to the effect of “We know it’s NEVER perfect. So accordingly your justice system has two options: 1) Be slightly looser and occasionally a bad guy goes free 2) Be slightly too tight and occasionally innocent people end up in prison/capital punishment. You have to choose which mistake you want to err on.”

It helped paint a pretty simple picture of how things currently work. At least until they come up with a minority report style pre-crime division.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'm just waiting for the Punisher or Paul Kersey types to get sick of this shit.

efiltsohg likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

Most mass shooters think they're the hero. :shrug:

7. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Most mass shooters are fucked in the head, but I've also spent enough time in the hood to know that someone wouldn't have to try too hard to fulfill their Paul Kersey wet dream if they wanted.

8. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

People were losing their minds for the new Game of Thrones episode but honestly I found it quite boring (by GOT standards).

Good springboard though, at least.

9. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

Quoted and adjusted to my own opinion.

10. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I'm gunna post the inverse of this 100% incorrect opinion and say that the RG is by far the most uncomfortable Ibanez shape out of the trinity.
    I'd say it's a tie between the RGA and the S for most comfortable, but the S is more comfortable standing up than the RGA, so I'd say it edges out on average.

I just wish the RGA / S series got a littttttttllllle bit more love.

Yeah, this is something that's come up here before and something Max and co actually managed to change my mind on.
    It sounds fine at first- you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette and such, with the success rate being actually quite high; and the notion of a murderer going free to terrorize someone else IS legitimately unsettling, but just imagine being on the other side of that. Imagine being an innocent dude that through one way or another just wound up on the wrong end of a capital offense. Imagine what that does to your family. Even if that doesn't change your mind right now, it will eventually. I don't think I'd want to risk anyone going through that.

Not that life in prison is much better, but at least the state isn't executing innocent civilians. Christ, could you imagine being the guy that administered the injection and later discovering the guy was innocent?

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

i think we need to reform the justice system. We need to decriminalize drug possession and pardon people that were previously incarcerated for it. We should make every attempt to allow people that did their time to be able to reintegrate fully into society. On the flipside though, I think repeat offenders (especially of violent crimes) would need even harsher punishments. If I had it my way they'd be worked to death in a central american or chinese gulag.

12. MaxOfMetal

Preach!

Much like healthcare, this is one of those things that other developed countries have accomplished and we're just trailing behind.

The problem is it's too damn lucrative for the entrenched private prison industrial complex to let it go without a fight.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The standard tele is really just a butcher block. Fully contoured tele in the hand is the best shape that’s exists.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think that's unpopular at all.

XPT707FX and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  15. Ordacleaphobia

I motion to ban @KnightBrolaire for flagrant disregard of the thread rules.
    Thanks.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

Eh, you'd be surprised.

Overall, it's popular, but there's a whole movement against it here, and there's very little consensus on what it should look like.

So in some regions and to some people it is unpopular, at least seems that way.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

maybe not that bit, but i'm sure plenty of bleeding hearts would be opposed to the gulag part in the latter half of my statement.

18. MaxOfMetal

I mean, we already do a lot of that.

Look up penal labor programs. In many cases even non-violent offenders are coerced or forced into labor that they are not always properly compensated for and never gainfully such.

It's that pesky 13th amendment:
    "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction"

So you can, legally, be a slave so long as you're convicted.

19. Ordacleaphobia

I mean, I would -actually- be on board with that...so long as convictions were reliable.
    Same issue as the capital punishment point. We need to make sure that the people that are in there are only the people that need to be in there. But if that's the case, I really have no sympathy at all for repeat violent offenders.

20. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

A lot of that good ol' Made in the USA North Carolina furniture is actually made in prisons.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/did-you-know-inmates-make-this-in-north-carolina/83-450309906

I believe some places like Canada explicity ban it's import if manufactured in a penal institution.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d9/d9-1-6-eng.html